Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-17-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Question where's that teacher..?

~~We all know the saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher/master will appear". Who believes that? Have you experienced it personally? Not paying dues at a dojo and going to classes; not the cosmic 'everyone is my teacher'. Or am I being too literal? Or did I completely miss the meaning? Ultimately I feel that I'm the teacher. Do or have I met myself?

~~I understand that I'm rambling off into weird here (been a long week at work and it's only Wednesday) but would be interested in your thoughts

~~Paula~~
Old 09-17-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: where's that teacher..?

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
~~We all know the saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher/master will appear". Who believes that? Have you experienced it personally? Not paying dues at a dojo and going to classes; not the cosmic 'everyone is my teacher'. Or am I being too literal? Or did I completely miss the meaning? Ultimately I feel that I'm the teacher. Do or have I met myself?

~~I understand that I'm rambling off into weird here (been a long week at work and it's only Wednesday) but would be interested in your thoughts
Hi Paula,

"When the student is ready.." - with the appropriate questions..

"The teacher/master will appear.." - reflection of oneself (??)

How you come across some exercises in workbook for pre-schoolers or 1st graders? You suppose to match pictures on one column to pictures on another. In my experience, there were time when I saw a situation or a set of movements and, click, I saw a link to a question that I had been pondering on before. My point is that when we are trying real hard to find answer, it will never come and when we have given up, the answer will come as long as we still have that question in the back of our minds. Hope you see what I'm trying to relate here. If not, treat it my weird thought from stress of facing the tax auditors sitting next door

Still creating the questions..

David Y
Old 09-18-2003, 02:22 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I go to the same dojo that I have been attending now for well - almost 5 years and I listen to the senseis talking about many issues. Now and then however - it suddenly makes sense in a new way. I guess that as we develop our aikido, we also develop our ability to understand new facets, and thereby discovers that the teacher and the lesson is there - we just need to be ready to receive it. This is of course only one interpretation, and not a very fancy one I might add

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 09-18-2003, 03:51 AM   #4
Jason Tonks
Dojo: Bracknell Ellis School of Traditonal Aikido
Hello Paula. It is a good little saying isn't it. My own interpretation on it would be that once you have chosen to dedicate yourself to a certain path (aikido for example), then a certain amount of providence aligns itself to help you. This may occur in the form of a master/teacher in the case of martial arts or an event/discovery in the case of a different quest. On the other hand maybe I just watched too many episodes of Kung Fu when I was younger!

All the best

Jason T