Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2003, 07:09 AM   #1
Matt Whyte
Dojo: Sozokan Budo Academy
Minimum grade to teach

Hey peoples.
I was wondering, what is the minimum grade to teach? I train in Aikikai Aikido, and I was wondering what grade you have to be before you are allowed to open your own dojo and teach classes.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Matti.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
I´m Aikikai too. Our sensei is a 6th dan shihan, so he has the faculty to promote someone up to that ranking, and also he can grant permission for someone to become an instructor. I became assistant instructor late past year when I got my nidan rank, but there are exceptions. In the interest of promoting aikido in regions or cities where there are no schools and are too faraway from the main school (In Mexico City) a person without a yudansha (1st or 2nd kyu) but who shows enough commitment and energy in spreading aikido may be appointed head of his/her school and get an early promotion.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Hanna B
Sweden
There is not a general answer to this question. It is up to your organisation, your teacher and yourself. I know of a person who too over the dojo as a fourth kyu. Well, the instructor left, so the choice was to take over or quit training... Today he is third dan, and the dojo is doing fine.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:56 PM   #4
Michael Braden
When to Teach

I understand that Hombu considers Sandan to be teaching assistant level and Yondan to be a full instructor.

However, as others have said, it is dependant on many circumstances.

My first aikido instructor in Bellingham, WA had trained in Shingu for only 9 months and when he was returning to the United States he asked Hikistuchi (sp?) Sensei who he should train with. He was told that he must teach and was given his Black Belt.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:06 PM   #5
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
While I agree with Hanna that this is, in general, entirely situation dependent, I have run into some 'rules of thumb.'

I understand that in most of the AiKiKai system, one must be sandan (3rd degree) to be considered an 'instructor.' I'm not sure what this status confers, but in most dojos I've seen teaching a regular class is considered a privilege that comes along with shodan. Maybe a sandan can open their own dojo ... ?

In Seidokan -- where instruction is considered part of the curriculum -- a 1st kyu is considered eligible to teach and a shodan can open a dojo.

But let me emphasize again that these rules are honored more in the breach than in the practice.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 01-27-2003, 08:06 AM   #6
Matt Whyte
Thankyou very much everyone for your replys. It has been my dream for the last 2 years to teach Aikido, and pass on the highly valuable knowledge that I have gained, and have yet to gain. I hope one day, I can fulfil this.

Again, thankyou.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Matt Whyte
I was also curious as to where I might find an Aikikai yudansha grading syllabus. I have heard from one or two people, that at the yudansha gradings, there is no set structure. However, there must be some sort of hardcopy of what the examiner expects. Any help on this topic also would be greatfully appreciated. Thankyou
Old 01-28-2003, 12:24 PM   #8
Hanna B
Sweden
All depending on the examiner... shouldn't your instructors be the ones who know best what applies is your organisation?
Old 01-28-2003, 12:40 PM   #9
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
You do what you've got to do to train.

My advice is to not get involved in running a dojo unless you *absolutely* have to.

Teaching is fulfilling. OTOH, it ties you down. You can't take a night off, you can't take vacation when you want to. Etc. Etc.

Worse, you give up your own training for others' training. You don't get enough reps and you don't get enough critique.

YMMV,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-29-2003, 05:20 AM   #10
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I the dojo I go to, it's usually when you receive shodan, that you can start to teach. However not all yudansha teaches. Our Teachers are: one 5. dan, and three 2. dan (perhaps one of the last is a 3. dan - I'm not sure). Apart from this we have a couple of shodan and a nidan, who dosen't teach. If a teacher is sick, perhaps a 1. or 2. kyu teach instead, but usually it requires a dan-grade.

Matt: go take a look at the following:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~bk2i-ssy/

http://www.aikikai.dk/

(at the last site look at 'Pensum'. It's in danish, but you might get the general idea)

- Jřrgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 01-29-2003, 05:28 AM   #11
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Hello,

Mr. Jennings has a very good point. If you are the sole instructor at your dojo, your own practice can suffer from lack of critique and such.

One way that you can mitigate that effect is to go to numereous seminar within your organization (if you are trying to work on consistency of technique), or have an arrangement with another dojo where you go to practice and get critiqued. I have also found that video taping classes and critiquing them yourself after class can be extremely revealing!

best,

Rachel