Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States
Aikido beyond Ueshiba Sensei

I'd like to start a discussion about the possibilities of branches or offshoots of aikido, that, while reflecting the teachings of Ueshiba Sensei, go beyond it to a higher level of awareness.

It's the idea of moving beyond the trappings of identifying with the Japanese and Asian culture as being the source. It's the idea of moving forward and into a new awareness in our current world culture. Its the idea of moving beyond the slow and bloated political bodies that bind, and moving into a freer arena of exploration.

Ueshiba himself said that aikido was formless. So, why do we seem to identify a certain "style" of movement as being what we call aikido?

Ueshiba himself said that aikido was for the world. It's was/is a gift.

Ueshiba, while acknowledged as the founder of aikido, is really just a branch in a continuous lineage of aiki schools. He certainly wasn't the trunk. He - and his direct students - just the closest branch that many of us have come in contact with. And Ueshiba was even a particularly good teacher. Most of his top studios got much of what they feel is the "real stuff" from other teachers completely outside of Hombu dojo.

Anyone who has 20+ years of experience in aikido - no matter what they do in further development - can not "break" a connection. They can only further awareness and development. In the holographic reality, in which we live and have our being, any small part - no matter how many times it is broken down - will still reflect the whole.

The "trunk" grows out continuously - and the eternal-now-moment is our source, and our own souls are our higher teachers. And, even teachers who have "passed away" still continue to instruct us from the many blessings and gifts they gave us. In my own case, I am still unpacking - daily.. moment by moment - the gifts I received from Shoji Nishio Sensei during my time training with him.

There are many innovations and discoveries being freely shared in our current culture. This forum is one reflection of that. And people like Mike Sigman are another reflection. We live in a much, much, much more open culture now.

I truly believe that Nishio Sensei moved beyond Ueshiba Sensei. And I, in the tradition of all my teachers - whom I truly respect so deeply - that have gone before me, want to move beyond them. How can we - or at least those of us who want to move beyond the boundaries and explore the possibilities - really move aikido and our awareness beyond the level that Ueshiba Sensei was doing?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
dps

Re: Aikido beyond Ueshiba Sensei

Deja Vu.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Dan Richards
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Deja Vu.

David
Ah, cool, David! Which of the many definitions of deja vu are you using.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
dps

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
Ah, cool, David! Which of the many definitions of deja vu are you using.
The one where you feel you this thread has already happened.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. As much as we are all individuals we practice our own individual Aikido.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Dan Richards
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
The one where you feel you this thread has already happened.
Ah, like being trapped in the past or something. Like some people doing aikido 50 years ago.

This thread is occurring now. And we can change it to whatever we like - because we're creating it. This aikido thread has a picture of a wristwatch in it.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I guess I am fortunate as my dojo I believe has come into it's own and we have many folks with many different perspectives and interpretations of what Aikido is. I like to think what we do is "alive" meaning that the folks teaching it are doing more than textbook aikido or what their sensei showed them.

More like they have thought about things, worked through them and now are teaching and using methodology to teach concepts and principles of aiki in many different ways.

We have influences from very good Aikido Shihan, Tai Chi, BJJ, and others.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
aikibudo

Dojo: tohkon judo club/strand aikido

i subscribe to the "train as many styles as you can" method!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
brUNO

Dojo: Jita Kyoei Dojo/Dallas, Texas
United_States

Tomiki, Sensei was a man of forward thinking and he used modern education to formulate Ueshiba's Aikido into a curriculum that could be easil studied. If I'm not mistaken, Ueshiba commisioned Tomiki to do this. SInce then, I believe Aikido has been evolving. Being "trapped" in the past and in undue "hero worship" only takes you backwards.

I study Aikido where the system is constantly being challenged and "upgraded". To accomplish this takes an open mind and a true search for knowledge. "Great faith tempered with great doubt" is a saying I'm very fond of.

You have to test your theories in a laboratory. That's what I call the dojo, "my lab" and I have great lab partners. You have to be realistic in your approach to finding answers because you may not find the answer you're looking for. I enjoy the attitudes about the search for truth in our dojo and invite you all to do the same in yours, whatever philosophy you subscribe to. No noe has all the answers, but together we can grow through research.

Bruno
"A warrior is not about perfection or victory or invulnerability. He's about absolute vulnerability."
- Socrates
Old 06-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
It's the idea of moving beyond the trappings of identifying with the Japanese and Asian culture as being the source. It's the idea of moving forward and into a new awareness in our current world culture. Its the idea of moving beyond the slow and bloated political bodies that bind, and moving into a freer arena of exploration.
There are just too many assumptions in your argument as to even be counted. And, YES, I feel you have already have made an a$$ of both you and me... (one for for reading it, the other perhaps for writing it...???) Simply speaking, it seems that there is some crazy need today in our society to feel empowered by what appears to be an individual's or society as a whole's "choosing" to accept or reject that which came before. While on the surface there may seem to be some choice, or power or what have you in rejecting the past, when looking a bit deeper it becomes quite obvious that one is never free to choose or reject something they do not truly understand or grasp. Since we are never able to drop our own personal filters to things, choice is but an illusion at best, as is freedom or power and the like when trying to make a choice under those circumstances.

Looking at it from this perspective it is more than unfortunate that any hopes of expressing one's freedom or one's individuality in such moments is impossible to the point of absurdity. This is because, any attempt to do so comes only from the result of consideration of the thing you are trying not to be. So instead of creating anything unique or something that is free of the thing you are trying to reject, all you really end up with is a state of "not that" having to refer back to the thing being rejected in the first place. "Not that" is defined as something that is sourced by the inverse of the result. Stating clearly - the thing you are rejecting is always at the source of what you claim is free of that very thing. While this may seem like semantics to some, when one is seeking to achieve something as idealistic as "freedom" simply choosing the opposite of something just does not reach far enough.

There really is nothing that you pointed to which can be said as to be holding you back in your training, or in the way in which you choose to teach others except, well... you and the way in which you choose to train and choose to teach.

Quote:
Ueshiba himself said that aikido was formless. So, why do we seem to identify a certain "style" of movement as being what we call aikido?

Ueshiba himself said that aikido was for the world. It's was/is a gift.

Ueshiba, while acknowledged as the founder of aikido, is really just a branch in a continuous lineage of aiki schools. He certainly wasn't the trunk. He - and his direct students - just the closest branch that many of us have come in contact with. And Ueshiba was even a particularly good teacher. Most of his top studios got much of what they feel is the "real stuff" from other teachers completely outside of Hombu dojo.

Anyone who has 20+ years of experience in aikido - no matter what they do in further development - can not "break" a connection. They can only further awareness and development. In the holographic reality, in which we live and have our being, any small part - no matter how many times it is broken down - will still reflect the whole.

The "trunk" grows out continuously - and the eternal-now-moment is our source, and our own souls are our higher teachers. And, even teachers who have "passed away" still continue to instruct us from the many blessings and gifts they gave us. In my own case, I am still unpacking - daily.. moment by moment - the gifts I received from Shoji Nishio Sensei during my time training with him.
This all just seems like a justification for your above argument. However sincere your feelings may actually be, though are totally canceled out by the mere fact that Shoji Nishio Sensei was 100% old school Japanese. Period.

Quote:
There are many innovations and discoveries being freely shared in our current culture. This forum is one reflection of that. And people like Mike Sigman are another reflection. We live in a much, much, much more open culture now.
You can say this in one breath but the next must speak to the absence of any meaningful, recent public video by Mike S. or Dan H. Sure they are out there sharing what they know to those willing to pay - not that I think they should teach for free, but at least Akuzawa has stepped up and put some of his stuff out there for people to see and wouldn't you know it, Akuzawa is 100% Japanese, too.

Quote:
I truly believe that Nishio Sensei moved beyond Ueshiba Sensei. And I, in the tradition of all my teachers - whom I truly respect so deeply - that have gone before me, want to move beyond them. How can we - or at least those of us who want to move beyond the boundaries and explore the possibilities - really move Aikido and our awareness beyond the level that Ueshiba Sensei was doing?
...moved beyond O-Sensei? I would completely disagree... completely. I think you may have "completely" missed Nishio Sensei's point. Nishio Sensei certainly could not be credited with doing more than O-Sensei did - nothing more at all. However, that really isn't worth focusing on. It is what they both did in their lifetime that is to be acknowledged. What each of these great teachers was able to accomplish was two-fold. They each pursued their own highest levels both spiritually and martially and did so right to the very end. Most importantly they each did so as a living model inspiring their own direct students and countless future students for generations to come. Sure, O-Sensei may have been able to create a world-renown martial art, and therefore ultimately gets my vote as the one who achieved more in his lifetime. However, rather than seeking to move beyond our teacher's teacher's teacher, I believe it is the role model each was and will continue to serve as for years to come that is the true goal we should emulate both now and in the long run.

Best in training to all...

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
brUNO

United_States

"Standing on the shoulders of my teachers, I will rise above them to elevate others above me."

"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

"Learn from the past, plan for the future, but live for today."

I can go on.... but why?
O'sensei is dead. Kano, Sensei is also, but their Budo lives ...and so do I. I will do what I can to insure it keeps living and growing after I die.

Bruno
"A warrior is not about perfection or victory or invulnerability. He's about absolute vulnerability."
- Socrates
Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
brUNO

United_States
Re: My teacher's shoulders

Quote:
Brent Smith wrote: View Post
"Standing on the shoulders of my teachers, I will rise above them to elevate others above me."
"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."
"Learn from the past, plan for the future, but live for today."
None of the above sayings are my original thoughts. I am quoting from notes I've taken and don't know who the hell said them. I thought the first one may sound a little arrogant, if you thought it was coming from me, so I wanted to clear that up. I'm not even past my teacher's ingrown toenail, yet, but when I get to his ankle, I'll start pulling people up! Deal?

(Uh, the "O'sensei's dead..." part, uh, ...that was me)
Namaste,

Last edited by brUNO : 06-02-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Bruno
- Socrates
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
aikibudo

And this is why I rarely visit the forums anymore, seems like anytime someone posts something someone has to try to diseminate the post and be a jerk. Whatever style of Aikido we practise we are ALL Aikidoka.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #13
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

?????
Sorry, maybe I just missed the post which " diseminated" (??) the OP. Could you provide a quote?

Best,
Ron

Quote:
No results found for diseminate:
Did you mean disseminate (in dictionary) or Disseminate (in reference)?
Dictionary suggestions: Reference suggestions:
disseminate Disseminate
disseminator Dominate
Disterminate Demnate
disseminated Dissimilate
disseminates Diamante
seminate Designate
deaminate Didemnidae
Reseminate Desmine
Dominate Desmonde
disseminative Demonte
dominate Demnat
Destinate Decimate
Diminute Demonata
di seminate Terminate
di-seminate Danse Manatee
Quote:
Aaron Hillock wrote: View Post
And this is why I rarely visit the forums anymore, seems like anytime someone posts something someone has to try to diseminate the post and be a jerk. Whatever style of Aikido we practise we are ALL Aikidoka.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #14
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
dis⋅sem⋅i⋅nate  /dɪˈsɛməˌneɪt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-sem-uh-neyt] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -nat⋅ed, -nat⋅ing. to scatter or spread widely, as though sowing seed; promulgate extensively; broadcast; disperse: to disseminate information about preventive medicine.
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #15
Patrick Hutchinson

"Sure they are out there sharing what they know to those willing to pay"
Wait a second. How many aikido dojos give free lessons? I pay money to be taught by a nidan sensei.
Dan H. does not charge a penny.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Patrick Hutchinson wrote: View Post
"Sure they are out there sharing what they know to those willing to pay"
Wait a second. How many aikido dojos give free lessons? I pay money to be taught by a nidan sensei.
Dan H. does not charge a penny.
Sure, but I do not think that charging is the main point at issue here. After all, Sokaku Takeda did not teach for free. Nor did Morihei Ueshiba.

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #17
brUNO

United_States
Re: Dessemination

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
?????
Diseminate? Did you mean...
Maybe from the latin root word "semen" for seed. It certainly does "broadcast" well.

Did you learn a new word, Ron, or did you just think he was talkin' about you, hehehe?

Hey, I hope it WAS you cuz, I thought he was talkin' about ME!

... but thanks for the definition, I didn't know what it meant either.

Whoops! I'm Disseminating again.
(My teacher's always said, "use new words in a sentence to remember them.")

Bruno
- Socrates
Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #18
DH
United_States

Quote:
I truly believe that Nishio Sensei moved beyond Ueshiba Sensei. And I, in the tradition of all my teachers - whom I truly respect so deeply - that have gone before me, want to move beyond them. How can we - or at least those of us who want to move beyond the boundaries and explore the possibilities - really move aikido and our awareness beyond the level that Ueshiba Sensei was doing?
Well at what point do you believe in Shu-Ha-Ri?
Or in individual realization?
And when and how does that come?
Are you willing to believe that only a shihan can rise above?
Or that anyone, from any where can rise above?
Has anyone, in the art really captured all that Ueshiba was, to rise above him?
Does that matter? Was there something above him that he didn't capture himself?
Would you or anyone know?

Comparative values
Are the organizations the measuring device?
Or is there something else? What do you use?
At what point do you or anyone really believe in what he said. Truly? If each person has his own aikido, and you want to follow that and take it beyond Ueshiba then stop taking and testing for rank with anyone and go perfect your aiki. When no one in structured aikido can handle you with their aiki, and you end up handling them, will you care what some organization from Japan thinks? Will they care about you? Very few organizations of men are interested in something greater than themselves, they are in truth - just interested in themselves. There is a great safety net in putting a teacher about you, it means you never have to worry about reaching that goal, while being supported in the effort. Individual pursuit is not for everyone.

Taking it further than that
Ueshiba was bold and took his aiki out for a spin with the arts of the day. Do the same. Let it change you. It is not without merit that people are beginning to notice that some of us "playing in the fields of the Lord" with aiki, outside of the major organizations are doing so with much freedom, joy, and laughter. Let your aiki, your hard, work speak for itself. Depending on the men you meet, you'll know soon enough if you are on the right track. Like I said, I'm not so sure it's a path for everyone.

It is clear with some of the new language coming out of Japan, via the IAF that they are going to try and reign in the art even more and re-take control of Ueshiba's "gift for the whole world." There is the strong possibility that for a few senior teachers it may prove to be the final act of troubled play and they may go their own way.

Good luck in your training
Dan
Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
Ron Tisdale
United_States
Re: Dessemination

Hi Brent, well, I know what the word means, but I did not understand how he was using it (still don't). In the context of the sentence and topic, it does not make sense to me. That is why I posted my question, and the definition. I thought perhaps the poster might return and rephrase the post so that it makes sense.

Best,
Ron
Quote:
Brent Smith wrote: View Post
Maybe from the latin root word "semen" for seed. It certainly does "broadcast" well.

Did you learn a new word, Ron, or did you just think he was talkin' about you, hehehe?

Hey, I hope it WAS you cuz, I thought he was talkin' about ME!

... but thanks for the definition, I didn't know what it meant either.

Whoops! I'm Disseminating again.
(My teacher's always said, "use new words in a sentence to remember them.")

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #20
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post

It is clear with some of the new language coming out of Japan, via the IAF that they are going to try and reign in the art even more and re-take control of Ueshiba's "gift for the whole world." There is the strong possibility that for a few senior teachers it may prove to be the final act of troubled play and they may go their own way.

Good luck in your training
Dan
I've noticed you've alluded to this previously. Can you post any links or statements referring to that which you are talking about?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #21
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

God bless, do we get overly philosophical!!!!!! I practice Tomiki aikido and we go to the mat, we do chokes, and yada yada yada. Who cares?? Why do we have to slice and dice each person's statement(s)? Be glad that you can get on the mat and practice and hopefully someday pass on what we have learned, minus the **** philosophy.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #22
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
Why do we have to slice and dice each person's statement(s)?
Uh, because I'd like to understand the other person?

Quote:
Be glad that you can get on the mat and practice and hopefully someday pass on what we have learned
Uh, who says we are not glad?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #23
aikibudo

I guess what i was trying to say is that, it feels like everytime i come to these forums and see a new post that is slightly outside the umbrella of "aiki" people pick apart the post and discuss why it is wrong.Seems like an awful lot of negative energy to me.

respect,
Aaron

[quote=Ron Tisdale;231812]Uh, because I'd like to understand the other person?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #24
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I see...

I guess I see a majority of posters in this thread either agreeing with the OP, or asking intelligent questions about their perspective. I really don't see anyone being a jerk. Some jocularity is not being a jerk, in my mind.

I don't really come here to be "comfortable", or to have my views validated. So when someone makes a reasonable objection or asks me to look a little deeper, I don't think of them being a jerk. I see them more like a partner in a discussion.

Best,
Ron (hey, that's just me, others can do what they wish)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #25
Josh Reyer

Japan

Ron,

I really don't know how you expect to get anywhere in this world by being so reasonable.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer