Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
yankeechick
Smile Nippon Kan Dojo in Colorado

Hello Guys,

I came across this dojo, while surfing the web looking for aikido information. They appear to do wonderful community and charitable activities.

For those of you who like what you see of this dojo, maybe you could suggest that such activities take place at your dojo.

I have come across many uchi deshis at a particular dojo in New York City (who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons) who could use lessons in humility.

http://www.nippon-kan.org/index2.html

Also, if anyone has any information about the Shihan who established this dojo, I'd love to hear/read about it.

Best wishes.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States
Re: Nippon Kan Dojo in Colorado

I believe Gakku Homma heads this dojo, and wrote a few books as well.

Went to the Philippines (Cagayan de Oro) to give a seminar there.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

Gaku Homma wrote this most excellent cookbook, The Folk Art of Japanese Country Cooking. It's got a fabulous miso-grilled chicken recipe in it. Highly recommended.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

It would be a mistake to compare your real life acquaintances in New York City with an impression made upon you by the website of a Dojo in Denver. You should come out and acquire a personal experience at the Nippon Kan before coming to any conclusions.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
yankeechick

Your point is taken. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by yankeechick : 01-20-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
yankeechick

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Gaku Homma wrote this most excellent cookbook, The Folk Art of Japanese Country Cooking. It's got a fabulous miso-grilled chicken recipe in it. Highly recommended.
I read on the website about the cookbook he wrote.

Last edited by yankeechick : 01-20-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I had the privilege of attending one of Homma Sensei's classes at the AikiExpo. He is a warm and welcoming person and terrific teacher. His dojo remains independent. He and my teacher's teacher, Fumio Toyoda Sensei, were uchideshi together and, depending on the source, taught each other how to cook. If you ever get a chance to train with him, go for it.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
lbb
United_States

The cookbook thing aside (that was somewhat tongue in cheek, btw):

Quote:
Antonia Williams wrote: View Post
For those of you who like what you see of this dojo, maybe you could suggest that such activities take place at your dojo.
Homma Sensei is obviously a person of great energy, with many diverse interests. The mix of obligatory or semi-obligatory outside-the-dojo activities obviously works for him and for those who train there, or they wouldn't be training there, I suppose. OTOH, I don't think that that approach would work where I train. We're a small dojo, everyone who trains there has a full-time job, none of us are rich, and our outside interests are...our outside interests, personal and individual to each one of us. If we were to try and impose activities such as mandatory charity work on our dojo community, I don't think it would fly.

I also don't think it is a negative reflection on a dojo not to have such a program. Leaving aside the grunt work of participation in charity events, the programs that Nippon Kan is involved with obviously involve a tremendous amount of organizing work, and many dojos (like ours) simply don't have anybody, or any combination of people, who have sufficient time to organize activities on that level. Also, it's a delicate matter, frankly, to tell people that in order to study aikido, they must participate in this or that designated humanitarian aid project. Equally compassionate and engaged people may have very different opinions as far as where they feel their efforts are best directed (assuming that they have the resources to devote to such projects). If a dojo does not have such programs, the sensei could simply be choosing not to impose his or her personal priorities on students.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

I practiced at Nippon Kan for about a year ( got my 4th kyu belt there) , excellent dojo . great teachers , LOTS of yudansha, tons of classes 7 days a week and reasonable price. Very Iwama influenced style with heavy training on weapons and how they impact each other.
Homma Sensei is a very good teacher ,great sense of humor and demonstrates techniques clear and clean. Although be prepared if your ukemi is not great ,you will get a lot of practice being thrown !

Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

I really enjoyed Homma Sensei's book "Aikido for Life".

He also has a book available for free, online in PDF form: "Aikido Sketch Diary: Dojo 365 Days" that tells about a year in the life of his dojo, and what it's like to be an uchi deshi there. It's a sweet little book, and a pleasure to read.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba