Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I've started training BJJ recently (i've done a month of training, 3-4 times a week).
I've trained aikido for three years.

One problem i've always had in aikido is gauging the effectiveness of my techniques: to what degree uke is being compliant, as opposed to trying to keep their balance.
I've also always struggled to know if i'm using muscle - particularly, i've always found it hard to relax my shoulders.

The sparring in BJJ has really helped me with both of these, as uke/my partner is never compliant, and I cannot use strength for long, as I quickly run out of energy; therefore, I am forced to relax, and rely on technique (for the most part...) - and the results are never in question.

And although its groundwork of a form not practiced in aikido, I have just used the aikido principles i've learned, by and large: relax, try to use your weight/put it on a person, don't look to force a technique - use the space/openings offered to you, etc.

Dose anybody else here practice BJJ, judo, or any martial art that has sparring/non-compliant training partners?
What are your thoughts on understanding, and increasing your ability at aikido, through such training?
I know that i've really come to understand the necessity to relax (and how to relax), and the effect on my aikido has been instant.

Last edited by Gorgeous George : 10-02-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Apostrophe in the wrong place.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Welcome to the dark side of the force. :P
Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Michael Neal

the best people I have trained with in BJJ use almost no strength at all
Old 12-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

BJJ is a great art I dabble in occasionally.

Taught me a lot about stability, power and non-compliance as well. I also found it great in terms of psycho-emotional training - how does one relax with a 120 kilo person sitting on your chest doing their best to choke you out...

Ah, the dark side - attractive it is.