Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2004, 06:49 AM   #1
Gilles D'Hoker

Dojo: Brugse Aikido Vereniging
Belgium
Freaky! Fear of flying?

The technique I fear the most is Juji-nage... It feels like hanging in the air for a few seconds and slaming on the ground whitout any hands free

Tell me,
what's your most feared fall on the tatami...

keep it safe
Gillius
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	or_juji-nage.gif
Views:	119
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	135  
Old 01-25-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
One of the kokyu-nages from ryokatatedori where nage enters under one arm and draws through the other hand to spin uke in place between their hands, one raised, one lowerd.... kind of like tenchinage in that.

I cannot describe it better, mores the pity, but it is quite easy for the uke to "tighten up" since it is a abrupt change in direction. If you are relaxed throughout, then no prob.....but tense up.......OUCH! (mostly 'cause of my bad shoulder on one side)

:-)

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Fear of flying?

Quote:
Gilles D&#039Hoker wrote:
Juji-nage....what's your most feared fall on the tatami...
Jujinage is up there, but not because of hang time. I don't like the feeling of not being able to escape a dangerous situation and when UKE sinks the entanglement well, I'm completely at his/her mercy. If they really crank the technique, it could mean a broken elbow very quickly.

One that's come to scare me is the occassional TAI OTOSHI or HARAI GOSHI for the danger they put my knee in. Sometimes NAGE affects KUZUSHI well enough, but has trapped the leg leaving my knee barred on their thigh or back as they crank me against it.

MEN NAGE is another scary one.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Quote:
Tell me,

what's your most feared fall on the tatami...
used to fear koshi-nage falls a lot, but with proper tips and training from a sensei i can overcome that now. for juji-nage roll you can practice by doing ukemi while your hand is kept together on your chest, thus you roll with no hand. good luck
Old 01-26-2004, 01:28 AM   #5
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom
Still scared of Koshi-waza (after 20+ years)

Broke some ribs during a test taking ukeme from Koshi-waza, still inhibits me unless tori is really comitted to throwing.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:24 AM   #6
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Nikkyo projection, I dont know what the correct term for it is, Ive rolled out of a watered down version of it once or twice but to get out of the real deal requires jumping very high before your wrist breaks. I think its illegal in the BAB or something.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Smile Re: Fear of flying?

Quote:
Gilles D&#039Hoker wrote:
The technique I fear the most is Juji-nage... It feels like hanging in the air for a few seconds and slaming on the ground whitout any hands free

Gillius
Where I train, we learn to take care of the uke. When we throw someone with Juji-nage, once they're airborn, we let the slapping hand go so that they can take a better fall. Pass this idea along. The only technique I fear the most is anyone that Chiba Sensei may do to me. He gave me a nikkyo and my wrist was throbbing for 2 weeks!

Old 01-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
A junior of mine was always scared to fall from koshinage...

She screamed everytime I picked her up. Then my sensei came and said, "This is the only way she'll learn." She's still paying attention and suddenly he picked her up and just throw her, she screamed but landed safely. She got up and casually said, "Oh, I'm OK."

After that, I just kept throwing her immediately without suspending her midway. She screamed everytime but landed safely each time. She understands ukemi very well but lack confidence. After a few koshinage, she stopped screaming, and we all clapped.

I don't recommend this way to inexperienced practitioners. The way my sensei and I did the koshinage, although done swiftly and directly, took a lot of care for the uke safety. We made sure she'll land safely no matter what. We all see the need to build her confidence.

The way the I did the koshinage was that I completely turned her around until she was facing up then I let her go. This way her head completely cleared the ground. I wasn't exactly paying attention on how my sensei did it though.

Yoroshiku...

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 01-26-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Re: Fear of flying?

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
Where I train, we learn to take care of the uke. When we throw someone with Juji-nage, once they're airborn, we let the slapping hand go so that they can take a better fall. Pass this idea along. The only technique I fear the most is anyone that Chiba Sensei may do to me. He gave me a nikkyo and my wrist was throbbing for 2 weeks!
Interesting that the nikkyo seems to have injured you. The best nikkyo I ever had put on me was by Akira Tohei sensei, 8th Dan. When he took my hand and wrist into himself, it felt like I was being sucked into a vacuum cleaner. The nikkyo was quick and hurt so much, I never felt it. My whole body just went down and I lost my breath and just barely had time to groan and close my eyes. It was all instinctive. I thought for a second I was going to pass out. Then just as quickly, he let me go and instantly, I was absolutely normal. It was amazing. I went from pain to peace and I didn't feel a thing neither was I sore later. I have always thought about that. It was super powerful and yet left no injury. Very strange indeed. I think he really knew how to do a nikkyo.

Best wishes,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 01-26-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
The best nikkyo to me was painless. There was no pain, but I fell down anyway. Think about that for a moment.

Joe Thambu Sensei of Shudokan (Yoshinkan Aikido), said during a seminar that it's (since this is Yoshinkan I'll use the Yoshinkan term) 1st control (ikkajo), 2nd (nikkajo) control, 3rd control (sankajo)... etc... not 1st pain, 2nd pain, 3rd pain... When I was his uke, I felt no pain what-so-ever.

The best techniques I've ever experienced done to me were painless but still have control. I'm still learning on how to implement this. Pain is not necessary, but pain do sometimes happen, but don't let pain be the goal of techniques execution. It is about control.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 01-27-2004, 08:39 AM   #11
SeiserL

United_States
Juji-nage was very tough for me. Finally, with practice, I pretended my arm was out to being the roll and allowed by body to follow.

Koshi-nage was also tough. One day my Sensei threw me over and over again, each time into a safe breakfall. Its been okay sense.

Actually, it was never the fear of flying that bothered me, it was my negative fantasy about the landing.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:54 AM   #12
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
I agree with the comments about nikajo. I'm learning both ways, with and without pain. The best controls are on my center, through the joints, not on the joints. Makes a world of difference. Its interesting how some will automatically go to the shoulder control (uke's wrist against nage/shite's shoulder) when they fail initially to control the center. But this version really relies on pain and power for the control, and if there is any loss of posture on the part of shite, it is rife for opportunities for reversal (espcially sacrifice throws). There is an interesting article on aikido journal somewhere that speaks to this...I'll try to find it and post it.

I think the throws that make me most nervous are kubenage and varients of ganseki otoshi.

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #13
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Koshinage. For some reason, I always tense up out of fear when taking ukemi for it. I think it's tied to when I was a little kid in judo, being thrown without knowing how to take falls correctly, being in pain with my breath knocked out of me after every throw.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith