Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #126
pugtm
Dojo: DFWKIK
Re: "Aikido is for wusses": a response?

wow this thread has really taken off. I cant even understand half of what is said anymore. But it's great it evolved this much.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #127
James Stedman
United_States

I am not aikidoka.I am karateka.No matter, the truth is the truth.All martial arts were designed and handed down to strengthen and improve the mind and body in many ways, one way being to recognize ignorance when it appears.Your friend's opinion speaks volumes about what he has not learned.His opinion is worthless.Chances are his skills are also.

One' s true path shall not be found while standing in another's shadow.

Last edited by James Stedman : 05-08-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #128
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
You shouldn't be preoccupied with the wrist grab because there are other grabs studied: Grabs at the elbows, the shoulders, etc. So in theory, you should be able to present anything and when your partner goes for it you have him. Of course, that requires being one step ahead of your oppoent, but the relevant JKD term would be ABD, "attack by drawing" --- you bait him with a target and when he takes the bait, you apply whatever presents itself. Ideally, uke moves, nage moves, and nage does whatever he can with whatever he (or she) gets. But to get there, you do things bassackwards through the prearranged training.

So if you were to try the test again, same mindset but offer .... whatever. I think katate dori is used first because it is simple, straightforward, and the entries are least confusing.

Just my 2p.
I know all about baiting. Its just that I find it easier to do bjj or judo techniques off the bait then aikido techniques. I was explicitly trying to see if people would grab my wrists. When people grab anything else I simply keep moving and an opportunity presents itself or I get tapped out. Drawing people into my game is something I have learned without ever doing kata training for it. In the kata training I have done the techniques already have the setup. Rarely does my instructor talk about what to do to get the setup. Sometimes he will talk about how someone will attempt to counter or escape a technique thus setting up another technique. But usually he leaves that up to be worked out in sparing. Works great so far, most of us do great in competition.

I personally find it hard to learn though contrived movements, It is great for learning a single technique (like an armbar drill), but learning setups and combos that way really doesn't do it for me. I can't work my mind around all the little things that happen and I get very bored. I prefer to drill 3 or 4 related techniques, then drill with positional sparing.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #129
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Avi Feygin wrote: View Post
wow this thread has really taken off. I cant even understand half of what is said anymore. But it's great it evolved this much.
Sadly...me too .

HULK no understand... HULK Smash! Die Puny Uke, DIE!

HULK err... Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #130
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I know all about baiting. Its just that I find it easier to do bjj or judo techniques off the bait then aikido techniques .....
Ok, but how much of that is because you now do Aikido once or twice a month? As opposed to how much time spent on other things?

Quote:
I was explicitly trying to see if people would grab my wrists ....
Yep, they will. Which may explain why every self defense system worries about them.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #131
philippe willaume

United Kingdom

Hello
May be I miss something but would not you say that all arts depend on distance and timing?
I mean it can easily be proven from medieval fencing to krav-maga or MMA passing by French small sword or English basket hilt.
So I would say if Don finds do MMA/judo easier to do, it is probably that at the distance he is, that is the case.
Intellectually speaking we can reduce any fighting to distance and time management. And to a certain degree I would agree with Michael, Don probably moves in such way so that timing and distance is right for MMA/judo.
From my own experience and medieval wrestling book that distance is slightly "closer" for MMA/judo/medieval social wrestling, than aikido/fighting wrestling/modern close combat/self defence.

On grabbing the hands.
Well of course fighting in earnest will have a tendency to have a look at grabbing the hand, the fist thing you want to do is prevent access to his weapon and secure access to yours. Hand grab can be used as well to create a situation where using a weapon /or a punching is safe (timing) and that exposed a sensitive area.
That is not really present in sporting or social wrestling.

I do not believe however that one will automatically try to grab our hands/wrist even in a non sportive circumstance. Unless we give them a good reason to make contact with our arm (ie atemi). As long as we strike within our own space it does not really matter if we strike him and he defends or if he strikes us and we defends.

Phil
ps and would someone be kind enough to tell that bloque that as far as he is concerned those who do aikido are mister wusses.

Last edited by philippe willaume : 05-09-2007 at 11:28 AM.

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #132
DonMagee
United_States

I agree, distance plays a big part. Once we are closer then arms reach I find judo a much easier thing to perform. Of course the principles I use to do this are not so much the principles my aikido instructor would want me to use. I am also more comfortable on the inside, so I tend to go from striking to clinch range rather quickly. That probably doesn't lend itself to aikido.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #133
pugtm
Dojo: DFWKIK

I think that pretty much wraps this thread up. And i am glad to see that my friend was mostly wrong(those guys with the -ball attacks are a little )