Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Mike M
Aikido in Tight Quarters (eg an Elevator)

Does Aikido teach how to defend yourself in tight quarters like an elevator?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States
Re: close call???

IMHO Aikido principles and techniques including real full power atemi work in any environment. Imagine what you could do in an elevator using your Aikido training in a life or death struggle. Imagine what Steven Seagal would do in that situation to stay alive and you get the idea.
By the way, my Aikido training and my training in Military Police tell me to always evaluate the situation before I get into the elevator and when to get out of the elevator when others get on it. ZANSHIN at its finest!

Doc

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 11-19-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
Mark Stokmans
Dojo: Utrecht
Netherlands

Steven Seagal would have a hard time in an elevator because he wouldnt have a glass window to throw somebody through. In Willy Wonka's elevator he would kick ass though.

Seriously though. I once had a minor altercation with a drunken judoka in an elevator. He was somebody I new and generally could get along with. He got a bit belligerent and tried to get me in a head lock. I was able to get hold of his wrist and apply kote gaeshi. It worked.

I guess atemi, getting a lock in, getting somebody down and then generally sitting on him untill the doors open so you can make a break is the best way to go. The most Aikido I could get out of it anyway.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Randy Sexton wrote: View Post
IMHO Aikido principles and techniques including real full power atemi work in any environment. Imagine what you could do in an elevator using your Aikido training in a life or death struggle. Imagine what Steven Seagal would do in that situation to stay alive and you get the idea.
By the way, my Aikido training and my training in Military Police tell me to always evaluate the situation before I get into the elevator and when to get out of the elevator when others get on it. ZANSHIN at its finest!

Doc
Seagal would have trouble getting into the elevator due to his rather large ego...... I tend to use the stairs if the floor of the building is'nt at the top floor of a 100 storey building!!
Hee hee!
Ever tried aikido in a latrine?? that's fun.......

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 11-19-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Stokmans wrote: View Post
Steven Seagal would have a hard time in an elevator because he wouldnt have a glass window to throw somebody through. In Willy Wonka's elevator he would kick ass though.

Seriously though. I once had a minor altercation with a drunken judoka in an elevator. He was somebody I new and generally could get along with. He got a bit belligerent and tried to get me in a head lock. I was able to get hold of his wrist and apply kote gaeshi. It worked.

I guess atemi, getting a lock in, getting somebody down and then generally sitting on him untill the doors open so you can make a break is the best way to go. The most Aikido I could get out of it anyway.
Personally I have found that when someone manages to get you in an effective headlock it can only be released if one grabs the testicles of ones assailant and twists violently........
Old 11-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Talking Re: close call???

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Personally I have found that when someone manages to get you in an effective headlock it can only be released if one grabs the testicles of ones assailant and twists violently........
Aaargh to that...I mean Amen to that!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Unless it's your sister applying the headlock....or your mom.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mike Mansy wrote: View Post
don't know about aikido, but the systema folks have interesting approaches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YPrnB-OSBA some of the moves similar to various aikido moves like sokomen-irimi or kaiten and so on. I like the car thing too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ckXOkyLSk would not want to try the bag over the head thing, but it looks fun.

wonder if they have anything for plane, train and automobile.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post
Unless it's your sister applying the headlock....or your mom.
then I would tickle them!!!!! hah hahah hee heee !!
Awww stop it!!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
But if true victory is victory over oneself, wouldn't you have to twist your own testicles?

Perhaps I should start a new thread.

Last edited by Dan Rubin : 11-19-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

I got smashed into a newspaper machine by four rowdy young men on a tight street corner one afternoon.

Hmmm, I wonder if they're still reminiscing dreamily about a quaint fall day some years ago when a girl in a peach colored t-shirt handed them their asses wrapped in a bow.

Or maybe they caught a wiff of the big word Aikido printed across the front of my t-shirt and joined systema to learn to beat those brutal aikido people.....hmmmmm.

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 11-19-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post

Or you could just keep pulling at this one and see how it unravels .
Funny stuff.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Mike Mansy wrote: View Post
Sure.
Limit yourself to one tatami and figure it out.
Dye Sensei has a nice package on it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Great! Testicle Gaeshi!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Nah, it just tells me the person knows nothing at all about fighting. A headlock is next to pointless. Depending on if I am facing the same direction or the opposite direction I have many escapes ranging from painless to serious injury. I would go painless because a headlock is not a serious threat, but rather a silly highschool prank.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
Mark Stokmans
Dojo: Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
A headlock is next to pointless
Perhaps it is my choice of words...perhaps I should have used the word choke-hold (shime-waza). If a Judoka manages to get you there, and applies pressure, then you will probably pass-out within a number of seconds. Quite to the point actually. Needless to say I did not wait for that to happen. So in came kote gaeshi. And Judoka don't have the most flexible wrists so the choice was a wise one.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
But if true victory is victory over oneself, wouldn't you have to twist your own testicles?

Not if I can help it!!
Next time some one is squeezing or has squeezed your brains out let me know.......
Old 11-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #18
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
I like the car thing too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ckXOkyLSk would not want to try the bag over the head thing, but it looks fun.

wonder if they have anything for plane, train and automobile.
It looked like he got slashed at 0:13. And why let someone sneak up behind you in the first place? Not claiming any firsthand experience here, but I think looking around/checking one's surroundings makes for a better strategy.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:28 AM   #19
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Nah, it just tells me the person knows nothing at all about fighting. A headlock is next to pointless. Depending on if I am facing the same direction or the opposite direction I have many escapes ranging from painless to serious injury. I would go painless because a headlock is not a serious threat, but rather a silly highschool prank.
Simple headlock and as you say school boy prank, but not if it is applied as kubi jime and with real intention as I think the original poster really meant......
Shades of Gene Labelle and a certain Steven whatsis name?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:30 AM   #20
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Sure.
Limit yourself to one tatami and figure it out.
Dye Sensei has a nice package on it.
Nice one Lynn

Regards Tony
Old 11-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #21
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aikido in Tight Quarters (eg an Elevator)

To me, it is not an issue of "aikido", it is an issue of situational training. Have you practiced under those conditions? If you are asking the question, then I assume the answer is no, otherwise you would already have answered your own question because you had trained in a phone booth, or an approximation of one!

The difference is not the aikido, but the conditions imposed by the environment that determine how it will work.

You've simply got to train with those constraints and factors in place if it is important to you.

Aikido, as taught by most is designed to teach principles, which are universal. Though they are universal principles, that will work in most every situation, that does not mean that you can simply walk into any situation and apply them yourself!

Prinicples are universal, but the CONDITIONS in which you apply them aren't!

Therefore you must go out and keep adjusting those conditions in order to really understand practical application (if this is important to you).

Some (i'd say most) are happy simply studying the prinicples of aikido. Some of us are also concerned with application in various types of scenarios.

For the latter, there is no substitute for actually training under that pressure with those conditions imposed.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #22
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Simple headlock and as you say school boy prank, but not if it is applied as kubi jime and with real intention as I think the original poster really meant......
Shades of Gene Labelle and a certain Steven whatsis name?
I was just being a nit picker. A head lock is a arm wrapped around your skull that is squeezing it. This is annoying at best, mildly painful at best.

What you are talking about is what bjj players would call a standing guillotine choke or as you pointed out it could be called kubi jime. Honestly, if I had someone in that position and they started reaching for my boys, i would either a) pull guard and finish the choke then play river dance on their face, or b) start kneeing them in the chest repeatedly until they stopped trying to grab my boys.

At least in the two instances where this happened those were the approaches I took (minus the riverdance).

The best way to approach t his would be to defend the choke first, then escape. So you need to break the posture of the person choking you (assuming you already failed at stopping him from securing the choke with something like a sankyu, strike, throw or kotageshi). the easiest way to do this is to reach over his back pull him down while pushing on his knee with your other hand. Now that you are safe from the choke (and your hand is on his knee to help stop you from being kneed into unconsciousness, you can now start to worry about how to escape. But that is a different project altogether.

The attack to the groin might work, or it might just tick off the person choking you into oblivion...and THAT is a bad bad thing to do. It's much better to defend the problem, then escape. It's even better to defend before the problem even exists and never get put in the choke in the first place...but you can't always control what happens :-)

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #23
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I was just being a nit picker. A head lock is a arm wrapped around your skull that is squeezing it. This is annoying at best, mildly painful at best.

What you are talking about is what bjj players would call a standing guillotine choke or as you pointed out it could be called kubi jime. Honestly, if I had someone in that position and they started reaching for my boys, i would either a) pull guard and finish the choke then play river dance on their face, or b) start kneeing them in the chest repeatedly until they stopped trying to grab my boys.

At least in the two instances where this happened those were the approaches I took (minus the riverdance).

The best way to approach t his would be to defend the choke first, then escape. So you need to break the posture of the person choking you (assuming you already failed at stopping him from securing the choke with something like a sankyu, strike, throw or kotageshi). the easiest way to do this is to reach over his back pull him down while pushing on his knee with your other hand. Now that you are safe from the choke (and your hand is on his knee to help stop you from being kneed into unconsciousness, you can now start to worry about how to escape. But that is a different project altogether.

The attack to the groin might work, or it might just tick off the person choking you into oblivion...and THAT is a bad bad thing to do. It's much better to defend the problem, then escape. It's even better to defend before the problem even exists and never get put in the choke in the first place...but you can't always control what happens :-)
Worked for me in a real situ not in the dojo....... I am talking about a real life scenario when there was more than one assailant...... Its rough as a cabbie in this country when you have to deal with drunken people on illegal substances and the like.... but ya have to earn a living ...... violence is a growing problem here on cabbies as they are easy targets.... unfortunately..... But then I think you are talking about a dojo situation on one on one sport where it wouldn't be "cricket"
No rules in the street I'm afraid!!

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 11-20-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #24
Shane Marcum

Dojo: Aikido School of Lexington
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Great! Testicle Gaeshi!
In law enforcement circles the politically correct term I use for that type of "restraining technique" is the Testicular Angle. It is a variation of the very common Mandibular Angle whis is directly under the ear. Just kidding, of course, but damn if they both don't hurt!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #25
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Worked for me in a real situ not in the dojo....... I am talking about a real life scenario when there was more than one assailant...... Its rough as a cabbie in this country when you have to deal with drunken people on illegal substances and the like.... but ya have to earn a living ...... violence is a growing problem here on cabbies as they are easy targets.... unfortunately..... But then I think you are talking about a dojo situation on one on one sport where it wouldn't be "cricket"
No rules in the street I'm afraid!!
No, I was talking about a no rules situation. You are simply just lucky your attacker was worried more about his nuts and couldn't keep his cool. A trained attacker would of kept his cool and choked you unconscious while defending his groin (which is fairly easy to do if you give it a shot). But luck is as good as technique in my book.

I have people try to test this stuff from time to time. It never ends how they expect and it really is disheartening for me.

- Don