Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
akiy

YouTube: Christian Tissier - Belgium 2013

Here is a video compilation of Christian Tissier (7th dan, Fédération Française d'Aïkido Aïkibudo et Affinitaires) teaching in Cerfontaine, Belgium in 2013.

What are your thoughts on this video?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States
Re: YouTube: Christian Tissier - Belgium 2013

I like it......I like the clarity of his movements, and even when in motion, I get the feeling of softness in his techniques.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

What I would do to go to a seminar where he is teaching. He is so smooth and precise.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Dalaran1991
France

Here in France and especially Paris Christian Tissier is the most (in)famous Aikido figure. Literally every serious Aikidoka practitioner in France knows him. Which kinda makes sense because his waza has recently become the standard waza for the FFAAA. My Sensei teaches the techniques exactly as he does during his demonstrations, and the national black belt exam exhibits a strong degree of standardization in techniques which is very congruent with Tissier's style.

A few yudanshans I know don't like his public aspects, others credit him with advancing Aikido in France and in Europe. He is called by many nickname "the Aikido prince" "the big man" etc (rough translation) and apparently enjoys a large degree of freedom in exercising his Aikido. Whatever the case there is no dispute that his Aikido is very precise and smooth. But make no mistake, he is considered a "hard" style here in France. Breakfalls and hard falls techniques are instrumental, while a lot of style eschew those (my Sensei does not teach breakfall). His Iriminage for example requires a breakfall, which is pretty brutal compared to a lot of the styles I've seen in Paris.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Thanks for putting this video online! I watched it and had the pleasure to see that there were lots of people I know from other seminars, even a girl from my dojo...

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to go to the one week summer camps Tissier holds in Belgium, but judging from what I know of his "normal" 2 day seminars, the video gives a very good summary of his way of teaching. Seminars are always very dynamic, and still there is a lot of time allocated to explanation. For some people that may be boring, but many need detailed explanation to understand a technique or to comprehend the errors they make and how they can avoid them, and I'm one of those.

I don't really think it is a "hard" style what he teaches; the projections always allow uke to do a safe fall. There is a lot of emphasis on proper ukemi, and I'd rather qualify the approach as "precise and efficient". For example the irimi nage breakfall is, once you get the knack how to do it, safer for your head & neck than the backwards fall- slapping variant. The way your head/ neck are locked during the projection keeps you from falling on your head. It LOOKS spectacular (and it FEELS spectacular, there is a moment when you have the impression that you are suspended in the air, and you can observe your legs turning over and then falling...), but I think it is pretty harmless if well done. And then Tissier knows his ukes, he wouldn't force the irimi nage breakfall upon someone whose capacity he doesn't know.

Here in Belgium also virtually everyone knows Tissier and follows his style, and people are willing to travel to the remotest areas and get up at 06.00 on Sunday mornings for a Tissier seminar.

Best regards,

Eva
Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Long Trinh wrote: View Post
... he is considered a "hard" style here in France.
Quote:
Eva Röben wrote: View Post
I don't really think it is a "hard" style what he teaches...
Actually in here Germany Christian's aikidô is usually classified as a soft style compared to others.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post

Here is a video compilation of Christian Tissier (7th dan, Fédération Française d'Aïkido Aïkibudo et Affinitaires) teaching in Cerfontaine, Belgium in 2013.

What are your thoughts on this video?
TISSIER Sensei's technique looks s harp and strong

-- yetI do not see as much of the influence of Yamaguchi Sensei as i do in This other student of his: Suzuki Yasuyuki,7th dan:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovbcwvtZskIn insuzuki Sensei, I See more of Y/ama guchi Sensei still alive I have never taken ukenifor zTissier Sensei soI have no opinion,but I can say that Staking ukemi for Suzuki Sensei is a marvelous experience very smooth and effortless and un stoppableThank you,Jun-san

Last edited by akiy : 02-26-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 02-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
SteveTrinkle
United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Actually in here Germany Christian's aikidô is usually classified as a soft style compared to others.
he does look pretty "hard" in comparison to his teacher, but really, hard and soft are words that are not easily or precisely
defined in the aikido community

Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
SteveTrinkle
United_States

Tissier Sensei is certainly more dramatic than his teacher, YamaguchiSensei

Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
SteveTrinkle
United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
after all this time, we still do not have an agreed upon definition of the functional meaning of these words

Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Stephen Trinkle wrote: View Post
-- yetI do not see as much of the influence of Yamaguchi Sensei as i do in This other student of his: Suzuki Yasuyuki,7th dan:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovbcwvtZskIn insuzuki Sensei, I See more of Y/ama guchi Sensei still alive I have never taken ukenifor zTissier Sensei soI have no opinion,but I can say that Staking ukemi for Suzuki Sensei is a marvelous experience very smooth and effortless and un stoppableThank you,Jun-san
Nice to come across another student of Yamaguchi Sensei whom I hadn't heard of until now.

Here is another one I like very much, Takeshi Yamashima: http://vimeo.com/60040045

Alex
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
donhebert
Dojo: River Valley Aikido
United_States

I have always admired Tissier Sensei's Aikido. It is strong and positive - beautiful actually. I really like how many of his smaller movements turn out to be just the visible portion of much bigger lines of movement. I think more us could do well to incorporate this essential idea into their Aikido.

I sometimes find it difficult to learn anything that sticks from watching Aikido videos but I actually did from this one.

Around 11:05 Tissier talks about practicing in slow motion and how it is important to preserve the dynamism of doing the movement at normal speed. I have never heard any one explain this before in this way (that I can remember) and I found it to be a valuable teaching.

I also liked the interaction with his uke that starts around 11:23. I could really identify with the uke in this situation. I have had that same baffled look myself when the teacher is trying to tell me something but my body (and probably my mind) is clueless. I am curious what the uke thought of this interaction later - if anything. It was only a few seconds long.

In this interaction, uke grabs Sensei's wrist in a ushiro attack and is then is drawn to nage's front. Because the movement is somewhat in "slow motion", uke just strolls into nage's space and receives a smack to the head for his efforts. He then has a second chance, and this is where he has that baffled look - "what am I supposed to do?". He opts (very intelligently from one point of view) to bail out of the situation. At that point you can catch Tissier's ironic "Merci!" and folded arms - meaning "Thanks - I didn't have to do any work this time".

I find it illuminating to watch someone else's learning process, especially when I see similarities to my own. It makes me think about how I might have done in that situation and what needs to grow in myself. Just to be clear - I am in no way impugning the abilities of the uke in the video. He is obviously skilled - probably more so than myself. He is, however, the one that made that part of the video interesting to me.

Once upon a time I had the experience of Tissier Sensei throwing me in a kotegaeshi three times in a row. I have come to regard kotegaeshi as really difficult technique to actually pull off – despite it being a really popular item in most people’s repertoire. Tissier, however, has developed a very compelling version. I found that I had to move at a very rapid rate in order to take the ukemi - for some reason I was convinced that if I didn’t stay with him that my arm would come off. Whether or not he would continue to throw my detached arm and pin it happily remains in the realm of speculation. In any case, I didn’t get the opportunity for a fourth throw.

Best regards,
Don Hebert
Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
kuzushi
United_States

Great aikido!!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #14
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece