Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-02-2001, 02:35 AM   #1
The Piranah
"The Piranah"
IP Hash: 08dde0fd
Anonymous User
Cool

Hi, i am an aikido student and i am also studying movie production at college, for my end of year film i want to do a documentry about Aikido, and i wondered if anyone had thoughts that they would like to share about the following points. Email them to me with your name and style of aikido, so that i can credit it back to you.

How would you advise a beginner to look for a good dojo?

What does aikido mean to you?

What good and bad pionts would you find in an average dojo?

If you were (or maybe you ARE!) a sensei, how would you treat a person starting aikido as their first martial art?

What do you hope to do with your aikido training?

Kirana The Piranah only bites sometimes - honest!

Kirana Wayne from Enfland
Old 03-12-2001, 05:50 PM   #2
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Thumbs down

My "style" is aikikai. Period (seriously, that what we are told from Japan)

1) As my sensei told me when leaving Montreal to head for Atlanta "Go where you feel is best, where you will be comfortable". Wise, but foggy. What I have come to learn was no matter how open minded to other styles/instruction I thought I was, I really wanted something that resembled what I had learned over the past 3 years. Dojo/clubs have a personality, and you will gravitate towards the ones you like, and stay away from those you dont, just like another human-being. None are bad, some just dont "jive".

2) Aikido has become a set of tools to use in my daily life. Don't push, don't pull, don't tense, just go where you will. Be considerate (which we could all use more of), but be true to yourself without trampling on others. Strive for balance in all parts of your life (not just on the mat).

3)On average, everyone is welcoming; if they aren't, see #2!

4)Though not a sensei, our club is small and young. Our sensei is nidan, we have 2 ikkyu, 2 sankyu (I am one), a few yonkyus, gokyus, etc... I remember when there were 4 of us gokyus! As such, I have, on many occassions, been the one to welcome a newbie. I treat them all the same. Welcoming, a little bit of challenge sometimes, and a whole lot of patience.

5)Live. Seriously, I would love to learn and teach full time, so I could give back to aikido what it has given me.