Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
makuchg

Dojo: FL Aikido Center
United_States
Iraq Aikido

My name is Gregory Makuch. I am a new member of the AikiWeb Forums. I have been practicing Aikido for over 8 years.

Here is my issue. I am a Staff Sergeant assigned to a military intelligence unit at Abu Ghuraib prison in Iraq. Yes, it is the prison that is all over the news. I have begun Abu Ghuraib Aikido to offer the soldiers, airmen, and Marines the opportunity to practice Aikido and learn the "Art of Peace." The response to the program is fantastic.

I am requesting assistance with training equipment (bokken and jo), books, vidoes, etc that anyone or any dojo would like to donate to our program. We have NO budget. This is something I do out of my own initiative in an old storage room. I was able to obtain some hard rubber mats, which provide some support. I have some training material I brought with me, but I need more. I'm not picky, it can be used or old, so long as it is functional. I have included a mailing address where items can be sent.

I appreciate all your support. Remember that the acts of a few should not diminish the efforts of those contributing to the freedom of Iraq. Thank you in advance for your contributions.

Send contributions to:
SSG Gregory Makuch
THOPS, 202nd MI Bn
APO AE 09342

Respectfully,
Gregory Makuch
Old 05-07-2004, 01:25 AM   #2
Chris Birke
Re: Iraq Aikido

I can't provide any supplies (no money) but I think this is a fantastic idea! Hopefully my posting will put you on the top of the forum and get you more attention.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:19 AM   #3
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States

Greg, Hi- I applaud your efforts and you guys are doing the best you can- I support you all. I am going thru background with Dyncorp, and not to get too off track here but I want to know what you guys think of the contract assistance in the police function over there? thanks, and stay safe. Daniel.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
itdoka

I also can only offer my support. Aikido anywhere is a great idea; especially in a war torn nation like Iraq. Good luck in your endevours, hopefully some folks that can actually lend a hand, will see your message and help you out. Good luck and keep your head up!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
makuchg

United_States

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate your support for all of us over here.

As for Daniel, I believe the contractors have a vital role over here. Reality is that the military as we know it doesn't have the capabilities to fully support all fronts on the war on terror. The need for trained military policemen overseas is even more evident with the sad events that occurred here last year. As a result of this increased need, contract companies now supply police forces for most military bases in the U.S. and overseas. I think this is a fantastic way to offer employment as well as utilize military policemen where they are needed-at war. As for contract policemen, so long as the contract company set stringent standards of conduct, like most over here do, they are a welcome asset to assist already tired soldiers, airmen, and Marines. I applaud your efforts to help. We all can make a difference either here or at home.

Greg Makuch
Old 05-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata

My prayers go to you because you are bringing the art of peace where it is most needed. Bishmillah ar Rahman ir Raheem.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
PhiGammaDawg
Dojo: none {yet}
Canada

God bless on this wonderful endeavor

"Saki yakitachi o nukeba, masu masu masurao no kokoro wo togu bekari keri."
--"Before you draw the tempered blade, first temper and purify your own soul."--
Old 05-09-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States

Greg-thanks for the response. Watch your 6 and take care, Daniel.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Quote:
makuchg wrote:
I am requesting assistance with training equipment (bokken and jo), books, vidoes, etc that anyone or any dojo would like to donate to our program. We have NO budget. This is something I do out of my own initiative in an old storage room. I was able to obtain some hard rubber mats, which provide some support. I have some training material I brought with me, but I need more. I'm not picky, it can be used or old, so long as it is functional. I have included a mailing address where items can be sent.
SSGT Makuch,

I applaud your efforts to train and teach in your current enviornment. I did the same thing in Viet Nam. I do think, though, that your group can afford your own bokken, jo, etc. We paid for our own gear in Nam and I'm sure you still get combat pay as we did.

You have access to the internet. Look for places to order your gear and get on with it. You have no control over what others may give you, but you and your students can sure order your own training gear. You'll be sure you get it soon that way.

Take care and keep your zanshin strong...

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 11-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
SSG Phelps
Dojo: Twin Turtle AiKiDo of Central Texas
United_States

SSG Makuch,
Hey you still here in Iraq with me? I am SSG Phelps at the 1st Cavalry DIF you get all our bad guys. We are doing the same thing here and I would recommend going to ANYSOLDIER.US and ask the "world" there. I don't know if you had any luck because most of the world still thinks we are the same people that caused the mess at Abu - G. ( I know you don't want to hear it anymore - the Abu - G stuff) So I am in 312th MI BN, 1CD DNVT 551-9116 if you need help getting ideas to help get your training materials I can share all knowledge on the subject. Let me know. *Soldiers, helping Soldiers* We are on North Victory (or Liberty whatever they decided to change it to) I am also the President of the Victory Tae Kwon Do for 1st Cavalry Division Troops. Stay safe. BTW you are gona love it there when it rains. The Ruts! OMG. Well Brother. Take Care. Be Safe. Always Out Front!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #11
SSG Phelps
Dojo: Twin Turtle AiKiDo of Central Texas
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Iraq Aikido

Quote:
Christopher Phelps wrote:
SSG Makuch,
Hey you still here in Iraq with me? I am SSG Phelps at the 1st Cavalry DIF you get all our bad guys. We are doing the same thing here and I would recommend going to ANYSOLDIER.US and ask the "world" there. I don't know if you had any luck because most of the world still thinks we are the same people that caused the mess at Abu - G. ( I know you don't want to hear it anymore - the Abu - G stuff) So I am in 312th MI BN, 1CD DNVT 551-9116 if you need help getting ideas to help get your training materials I can share all knowledge on the subject. Let me know. *Soldiers, helping Soldiers* We are on North Victory (or Liberty whatever they decided to change it to) I am also the President of the Victory Tae Kwon Do for 1st Cavalry Division Troops. Stay safe. BTW you are gona love it there when it rains. The Ruts! OMG. Well Brother. Take Care. Be Safe. Always Out Front!
"Pain is Just Weakness ~Leaving the Body!"
Old 11-23-2004, 10:19 PM   #12
SeiserL

United_States

As I offered SSG Phelps, I'll send you a copy of our Aikido Basics by Tuttle Publishing.

As an old vet, cover each other's back.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-25-2004, 08:41 PM   #13
craig chapman
Dojo: Jarrow CA, Perth Green
United Kingdom

The Art of Peace

Aikido does so much more then help with the pysical side of lifes torments, as you can see here, people helping people is another one of Aikidos beautys.

Many Blessings to everyone

Craig
Old 01-27-2005, 05:26 AM   #14
makuchg

United_States

This is a belated post to both Lynn Seiser and SSG Phelps: Thanks for the support and advice. I'm now back in the U.S. and looking forward to the next chapter of my life. My kids are fantastic and happy "Dad" is finally home.

SSG Phelps, if you are still in Iraq, stay safe and best of luck.

Lynn, thank you for your gift and support.

I appreciate all that was done to help make the endeavor a success. There is a picture of our group in the images gallery.

Gregory Makuch
Wandering Ronin
Spring Hill, FL
Old 01-27-2005, 08:19 AM   #15
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Gregory Makuch wrote:
Reality is that the military as we know it doesn't have the capabilities to fully support all fronts on the war on terror. The need for trained military policemen overseas is even more evident with the sad events that occurred here last year.
Greg Makuch
I like to stay away from politics, but seeings that I didn't initiate it, I guess it's fair to have it from both sides.

The Rumsfeld memo was found. It's got nothing to do with training, it's the snake's head that leads it.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #16
Tadhg Bird

Dojo: New School Aikido, Stockton, CA
United_States

SSGT Makuch,

I saw the picture you posted the other week, and it really has had me thinking. I am glad you posted. If I had the means, I would send you something, but alas, I am very broke and starting my own small dojo .

Hopefully you will keep training for several months, and if I get a windfall, maybe I can send something more then well wishes your way.

Please post often about your club.

"Words and letters can never adequately describe Aikido -- its meaning is revealed only to those who are enlightened through hard training." -- Ueshiba Morihei O Sensei
--

http://www.AikidoStuff.com
Old 01-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #17
makuchg

United_States

With my unit's redeployment back to Georgia, the club has dissolved. Hopefully the soldiers that trained will continue to practice and you may meet one or two in dojo's around the country. As for Iraq, I think SSG Phelps is still over there and may need our support.

Gregory Makuch
Wandering Ronin
Spring Hill, FL
Old 08-22-2005, 11:50 PM   #18
soorkeu atrooshi
Dojo: satomi
Iraq

Quote:
Gregory Makuch wrote:
My name is Gregory Makuch. I am a new member of the AikiWeb Forums. I have been practicing Aikido for over 8 years.

Here is my issue. I am a Staff Sergeant assigned to a military intelligence unit at Abu Ghuraib prison in Iraq. Yes, it is the prison that is all over the news. I have begun Abu Ghuraib Aikido to offer the soldiers, airmen, and Marines the opportunity to practice Aikido and learn the "Art of Peace." The response to the program is fantastic.

I appreciate all your support. Remember that the acts of a few should not diminish the efforts of those contributing to the freedom of Iraq. Thank you in advance for your contributions.

Send contributions to:
SSG Gregory Makuch
THOPS, 202nd MI Bn
APO AE 09342

Respectfully,
Gregory Makuch

Hello,
This is the first thread I read since I have been accepted. I am glad that it is yours Gregory.
I am really glad to know that Aikido (if I could say this) is alive and well in Iraq.
I would like to offer help. There are some CDs that might be of help. They show a practice session held in Jordan by a visiting Sensei from Europe (Italy) but I don't know if I can send them through your existing address.
Please confirm.
And there is one more obsticles; as I remember the commentery has been translated to Arabic and the English wording is somehow in the back ground.
On the whole wish you all the best weather you are still in Iraq or not...
Soor
Old 08-23-2005, 08:01 AM   #19
NixNa

Been reading so much of these on the news its great to really hear from the guys on the ground. Being a reservist myself (mandatory over here), i can really feel wot u guys felt. SSG Phelps if you're still in Iraq, good luck on your m.arts training. You take care, and be safe man.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #20
Pdella

Quote:
Gregory Makuch wrote:
Remember that the acts of a few should not diminish the efforts of those contributing to the freedom of Iraq.
that seals it, you'll be getting no shipments from me.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #21
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Meade Maj Roger C (ACE HMM-266 XO) [meaderc@acemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil]

Major Meade (Roger) is now in Iraqi. He started the Aikido Club at Camp Lejune a couple years ago. He is a real nice guy. Perhaps you could contact him.

Dennis Hooker
www.shindai.com

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 11-06-2005, 04:36 AM   #22
rogermeade
Dojo: Camp Lejeune Aikido
United_States

As Hooker Sensei pointed out, I am currently teaching Aikido at Al-Asad in the Al-Anbar province of Iraq. Classes are held in the mat area at the main gym on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays from 15:30 to 17:00. No previous experience is required. I started a program at Camp Lejeune 3 years ago and my students are currently running it in my absence.

Additionally, one of my senior students is deployed to Fallujah and can always use a workout partner. If you are interested or have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

My thanks to Hooker Sensei and Saotome Sensei's for their support of our Aikido dojo in Lejeune and Iraq.

Semper Fidelis,
-Maj Meade
meaderc@acemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil