Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 06:06 AM   #76
mj
I agree with your actions, studied and mature.
It might have been good to stick around for a week or so though, things like this can show what people (Sensei) are Really like.

Old 06-16-2001, 11:14 AM   #77
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
"Owing"

They owe their Sensei nothing if his brain is below his belt. Find another club.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus

Old 06-20-2001, 10:48 AM   #78
"Anonanon"
IP Hash: eaa5355f
Anonymous User
Quote:
What is the general feeling about Sensei testing the GF (boyfriend or spouse)? Should they be tested outside of the dojo
by an impartial party? Do former GF's feel that their rank held the same weight when their training situation changed?
My old sensei tested his (then) wife for nidan, but I doubt he cut her any slack, because for him it would probably be important that who he was with actually be good at aikido! Depends on the personality of the sensei?

As for changing dojos, where I am now, most people start a few ranks below where they were before, but can progress pretty quickly back up, and for me it will probably be no different. People tell me my technique is solid, but there are some stylistic differences to get used to.

Regarding my old sensei, there's this rumor going around that he sold the dojo to his current girlfriend (who started off as and still is his student), and that she is taking out loans of some sort for him. Ok, so they're serious (if the rumor is true). Maybe they'll even get married. But how does that play out for the senior students? How do people feel about paying your fees to someone who was definitely considered a beginner (6th kyu) until they got involved with the teacher? Would you care? Not care? Probably most people there don't know/haven't heard.

Old 06-20-2001, 11:15 AM   #79
mj
Yeah, well.... they probably know after THAT post hehe

Old 06-20-2001, 03:13 PM   #80
guest1234
I don't look at my dojo fees as paying anyone to teach me, my sensei's teaching is not for sale, i believe. I pay fees so the lights stay on, the roof gets fixed, and toilet paper is replaced on a fairly regular basis. Who takes in the fees and pays the bills matters not to me, one dojo i belonged to it was all handled by the wife who didn't do Aikido at all (what, pay someone who didn't even DO Aikido???)---a much better choice than our sensei, by the way, whose Aikido was fantastic but whose wife had the mind for the books.
That may be the case with your sensei, or he may need the money after the divorce, she may have needed an investment, etc. Would you care if he sold it to a different person who was looking for an investment but did not do Aikido? How about a male kyu student? Why does it matter to you? For a martial art that teaches introspection, we sure seem to spend a lot of time on other's private lives.

Old 06-20-2001, 05:05 PM   #81
"Anonanon"
IP Hash: 8064cc47
Anonymous User
Quote:
Would you care if he sold it to a different person who was looking for an investment but did not do Aikido? How about a male kyu student?
The idea of selling the dojo to a male kyu student seems equally problematic. Don't think I'd care much about an "investor" who did not practice aikido, or didn't practice in that dojo. Husbands and wives generally have joint finances anyways. I'm not sure I care that much, since I don't practice there anymore, but other threads have been running along the conflict-of-interest vein, was kindof going with that. This could start a debate about what your fees are for,teaching or facilities! Is it volunteer work?

Old 06-21-2001, 05:15 AM   #82
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
I don't look at my dojo fees as paying anyone to teach me, my sensei's teaching is not for sale, i believe. I pay fees so the lights stay on, the roof gets fixed, and toilet paper is replaced on a fairly regular basis.
Colleen! Just wanted to say. GREAT POST! Let's cut through all the garbage picking and do some practicing.
As for Anonanon: You said something very true as well:
Quote:
Depends on the personality of the sensei?
I think all of these matters on the bottom line comes down to the personality of the sensei. I have a sempai who's dating one of his students, but they seem to get along fine, and I have NEVER seen any favourism on that account. One of my Senseis once dated a student as well. I think they got married and had a couple of kids - then split up for other reasons than Aikido, but as long as they can handle it as adult people then I have no problem with that. If something should happen that disturbed the harmoni of our dojo, then I really hope that the sensei and the bord of the dojo would handle the problem. Of course our situation is different from a lot of dojo's around the world since nobody owns the dojo and nobody get paid to teach. It's a non-profit organisation so everybody has the right to utter their opinion, but hey! that's a completely different story.....
Guess I better get back to working.
See you!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration

Closed Thread