Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
aikishrine
Dojo: aikido of central new york
United_States
Aikido and life threatening injuries.

Has anyone seen or heard of any fatal or near fatal injuries due to aikido training?

I was on a Judo forum the other day and read where someone has seen statistics that there have been more fatal injuries or paralyzing injuries due to Aikido practice than Judo practice. I just wanted to get your thoughts.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Aikido and life threatening injuries.

I don't know about comparative studies but you can start here:

Aikido and Injuries: Special Report
Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

To my way of thinking it's hardly suprising. A lot of effort has gone into removing anything from Judo which might actually cause injury, even in shiai. In fact virtually from its inception Judo techniques were designed to be safe.

There hasn't really been such a drive in Aikido.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Even if that is true, Aikido is hardly a dangerous pastime. Marathon running has a mortality rate you would not believe.
Of significantly more concern to me than the fact that Aikido training has not evolved to minimize injury is that Aikido often implicitly or explicitly discourages participants from maintaining a reasonable level of physical fitness. The stigma that Aikido is the martial art for overweight people is well earned, and it does not take much searching to find examples of experienced Aikidoka advising their kohai that physical fitness is either not necessary or detrimental to learning Aikido. It is easy to demonstrate the physical fitness is either beneficial or critical to every physical discipline other than martial arts. There are even Chess grand masters who talk about physical fitness being an important part of their tournament preparation.

Last edited by bkedelen : 04-06-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I can honestly say that I have never heard in a yoshinkan dojo that physical fitness is not important.

Especially the middle aged students where I train tend to do something besides aikido for physical fitness...running, yoga, something.

Best,
Ron (not particularly dedicated to my yoga training, but that is my preferred method)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I do not have much experience with Yoshinkan personally, but I must say that Shioda sensei set a great example for his students, always appearing to be well-maintained. I would love to know the ratio of Yoshinkan dojo injuries to total Aikido dojo injuries
Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

There was a neck fracture several years ago resulting in paraplegia when a female shodan had a beginner fall on her when she was apparently in the middle of a backward roll.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
JohnRN
Dojo: Aikido of Birmingham
United_States

I was at a Dennis Hooker Sensei/Doc Jones Sensei Seminar about 10 years ago at Vanderbilt University (my first seminar actually) and I remember (or at least I think I remember) Hooker Sensei really imprinting on us the importance of tucking our heads during rolling. He then mentioned I believe something about a student that he had that did a roll and because her head wasn't tucked when she landed or fell into someone she managed to break her neck. I don't remember if she died or if it was just paraplegia. And as this was something that I think I remember from 10 years ago there is a possibility that I misheard him.

John

Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
akiy

Quote:
John Riggs wrote: View Post
There was a neck fracture several years ago resulting in paraplegia when a female shodan had a beginner fall on her when she was apparently in the middle of a backward roll.
Quote:
John Bernhard wrote: View Post
He then mentioned I believe something about a student that he had that did a roll and because her head wasn't tucked when she landed or fell into someone she managed to break her neck. I don't remember if she died or if it was just paraplegia.
Here is a post about this very unfortunate incident:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=54

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!