Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Wii Fit...

Yeah, that's the title of the thread -- Wii Fit... For those who don't know, the Wii Fit is an add-on for the Nintendo Wii game system. The idea is to use this board that measures your weight, distribution, etc. and play games using it. All sorts of stuff ranging from hula hooping, step exercise to a rythmn, running, yoga, etc. Very cool stuff.

Anyway, my mother-in-law had some medical issues recently and it was suggested we try to get her one to augment her physical therapy. They've been very popular with family level gamers and also with the elderly. Hard to find too. Well, I finally found one and hooked it up at my in-laws. And since they were hesitant to start with it I helped start it off along with my 7-year-old.

The whole time I was doing it I kept thinking "Good, god, I could use this in the dojo with new students." Take the yoga exercises. It starts off with just standing still and breathing. You stand on it and the screen shows a representation of you on the screen with a graphic "target". You try to adjust your stance so that the dot which represents your "real" center is in the center of the target (the optimal center). It is subtle. Very subtle. My wife who doesn't do anything like Aikido had some trouble getting it to stay, but she did all right. My mother-in-law had a lot of trouble, but that's what we're working on. I got up there and I was nearly dead center as long as I adopted that mental attitude of "aikido" movement and stance. My daughter who has been happily training in ballet and jazz dance since she was 4 and likes attending a yoga class was like a freaking rock. Dead still. As you get better it "unlocks" different yoga stances including a number that are quite difficult and dynamic. The whole time I'm doing these things I'm thinking about what a great feedback loop the thing provides.

So now I found one for home (I am the rockstar of the year in my daughter's eyes now). And I plan to take it to the dojo for a fun class with some kids.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it. In our style of aikido "keeping one-point" along with a ton of means of testing that is a fundamental and integral part of our training going back to Tohei's influence on Rod Kobayashi-sensei. The guys who are best are like boulders when they want to be. And the power they can generate from that incredibly stable base was astounding to me when I first started many moons ago. So it is just kinda funny to me to find myself standing on a "child's toy" and finding out just how stable I really am now after those years. And it is really great to have such an immediate and detailed feedback loop at your disposal. I find myself taking a break everyday from my work in my workshop to come inside and work on some of the yoga sections. And in just a few weeks I must say I've already found any number of connections with my aikido.

Old dog, new tricks... Cool... And sometimes from the silliest places...

Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Re: Wii Fit...

Ohh, Ohh!
-Program an Aikido module
-Network the Wiis over the web
-You can train with partner anywhere in the world!
-Note: must enlarge pad for ukemi.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Kool! I've been hasseled by the GF to get one of these eventually...now I have motivation!

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

I'm planning on teaching my wife how to do some of our "keeping your one-point" tests. I want to stand on the thing with one of the yoga things running and just watch what it's detecting as she pushes and I deal with it.

New toys are fun...

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
hkronin
Dojo: Seikeikan
United_States

I have one. Be prepared to take a hit on your ego, lol!.... the Wii Fit is very challenging... and brutally honest.

i.e. "It looks like balance is not your forte." ... ouch!

It also weighs you, and if it deems you overwieght, it makes your Mii (Avatar) fat. hahaha!

It is very challenging and fun, however. I was surprised at how difficult the games were. This will definitly improve your balance.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
MikeLogan

United_States

There is a ridiculous amount of martial arts simulation that the Wii could support.

Aikido-3D with Donovan Waite, anyone? Imagine instead of just watching it, being able to instantly see where and when your technique varies in path and pace. If they could re-do the motion capture and just put the remotes in his hands that is all they would essentially need to do for the core programming.

Iaido, Kyudo, heck, even Chado, though the heart of chado is serving others in the best form of hospitality. Well, make that one multiplayer then!

cheers folks,
michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Curious if anyone know if there is a SDK available or "open source" programming for this to occur. I'd like a small program that would allow me to have the grid/dot open all the time so I could be free to work on my exercises free of the Wii programming.

I bought one a few weeks ago, I love it, it is working for me.

I wrote a small review up of it on my blog.

http://www.budo-warrior.com/?p=139

Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

As a developer I've actually thought about the ability to use the wii \ wii fit for an aikido training simulation type game... There are a number of issues that I've come up with. Take a simple irimi-tenkan movement if you do it properly most of you body will be off the wii fit board and getting it recognize correct positioning would be difficult. Not to mention when you turn you body and thus the wii-mote away for the T.V. you would lose the wii-mote sensor (or at least not be able to tell which way it's facing)

Kevin search for the "homebrew channel". There are several "Hacker" groups who are focused on bringing home built apps to the Wii... Realize if you do add homebrew software to your wii you take a legal risk along with a risk of ruining you're wii based of future wii updates

Last edited by Robert Jackson : 01-15-2009 at 02:00 PM.

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about
Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Thanks Robert. I just simply want the thing to have a picture with the red dot in the middle so I can play with weight distribution and movement.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
MikeLogan

United_States

Quote:
Robert Jackson wrote:
when you turn you body and thus the wii-mote away for the T.V. you would lose the wii-mote sensor
Yes, something like this would require at least one more sensor strip, or even 3 total (more sensors, more 3-D resolution).

Also, instead of the balance board in it's current manifestation, one could attach transmitters to both ankles, one at the small of the back, and one at the base of the neck, (posture).

This may sound like a lot of extra equipment, but then consider the hysteria that still surrounds Rock-Band.

1 sensor strip can support 8 wiimotes, so for a practitioner to hold two wiimotes, and wear 4 simple one-function transmitters (far smaller and lighter than the 11 button wiimote)

I know of an aikidoka in Japan who is actually working in video game design, I'm not sure if he's with Nintendo, though.

Also, this guy Johnny Lee must be a hero to the Home-Brew folks:

White-Board application (clickety)

Desktop Virtual Reality (via head tracking)

After reviewing his work, actually, I the wii-mote is also a receiver (IR camera)

I may even send a link to this thread his way. Far too exciting.

Kevin, the above individual's website is as follows, and if you have a projector (or even just a laptop), you could do every bit of what you're interested with his 'white-board' application in the second youtube link.

Dead Serious

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/ (edited, as i forgot to add his web address)

michael.

Last edited by MikeLogan : 01-15-2009 at 05:33 PM.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 01-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
CarrieP

United_States

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post
Ohh, Ohh!
-Program an Aikido module
-Network the Wiis over the web
-You can train with partner anywhere in the world!
-Note: must enlarge pad for ukemi.
ROLFLMAO!

I've found the Wii fit to be very helpful for balance and posture. It's also a nice compliment to some of my strength training, legs arms and abs in particular.

I do agree that it could be a fun thing to bring into an aikido class, especially a kids class.

Unfortunatley I haven't been on mine in, literally, months, due to busy life events. I hope to get back on it soon, but no promises...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post

The whole time I was doing it I kept thinking "Good, god, I could use this in the dojo with new students." Take the yoga exercises. It starts off with just standing still and breathing. You stand on it and the screen shows a representation of you on the screen with a graphic "target". You try to adjust your stance so that the dot which represents your "real" center is in the center of the target (the optimal center). It is subtle. Very subtle. My wife who doesn't do anything like Aikido had some trouble getting it to stay, but she did all right. My mother-in-law had a lot of trouble, but that's what we're working on. I got up there and I was nearly dead center as long as I adopted that mental attitude of "aikido" movement and stance.

have someone push you lightly from the 8-compass directions at shoulder level and see if you still keep the center. hmmm got to try that but i have to fight my kids for it first.