Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-24-2002, 05:13 AM   #101
mle
Dojo: The Dojo (www.the-dojo.com
In the beginning

There was one aikido, in the hands of one person.

People saw it from their point of view, and taught it from their point of view.

Succeeding generations had only this point of view, often divergent.

Many chose to take having one point of view as meaning that other points are wrong. I have heard of bodily harm, hurt feelings, divorces and legal expenses over the divisions in aikido.

Aikido has begun to try to unify again, to celebrate its many roots and aspects.

I believe that much of this movement has started on these internet communities, especially on this site and on Aikido-L.

Other sites and organizations have begun to "copy" this exercise in open-minded coolness, but I like to think we either started it or greatly strengthened it.

The point of the exercise, as my sensei likes to say, is not to see what's better than whose, but to share, learn, compare and consider.

The "fundamentalist" attitudes which limit thinking and exploring are not evident here. I love hearing "my favorite style is" not, "the One True Way is" because thinking one can judge that for any other person is a grave error.

I have seen Jun be civil LONG past the point when I would have reached for a baseball bat. His pathological civility is evident even in the logon message.

And I have a question for you, Jun - why DID you create this much-copied, envied, and well-visited site? It's not the Great American Novel I know you wanted to write ;-), but it's a heck of an accomplishment. It has always been refreshing to come here and not feel like I was looking at aikido through someone's filter. And, as I have become a travelling budo bummette, a great index for finding new playmates and events.

Is it possible that I remember looking at the beta? Do I also remember a certain aikido magazine trying to get you to stop doing the calendar because they said it was their idea first?

mle

Old 09-24-2002, 06:43 AM   #102
HansJuergenJohn
Dojo: K. Asai Aikido Schule
Hello Jun,

I do not need a new T-Shirt, but I want to get yours! Why?

Coz your website is a great deal, heavyset, informative and freebie!

So you belong to the lucid parts of the world. Ideal!

You get us searchers together. Via your aikiweb platform you give best example what the internet can do positive.

Thank you for the time you have spent to manage this site.

I'm a newbie at aikiweb and I'm looking forward to explore it at whole while the first taste smells very well.

The first look at your discussion themes produce inquisitiveness.

Great, you are responsible for my good feeling!

Send your Shirt to the other side of the world. To spread a glance of your precious work to the Uninformed. Let your T-Shirt become a catalysator for Aikido'ish thinking and behaviour! Not only int the centres of this world but also in the province, with me :-)

Best regards

Hans-Juergen
Old 09-24-2002, 09:43 AM   #103
Erik
Re: AikiWeb T-shirt Giveaway!

Because it is good!

Besides, I reply to nearly every thread.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:40 PM   #104
dc20
Thumbs down

I love this site because of the many forums and the variety of opinions on any given topic. Great discussions!

Dave
Old 09-24-2002, 02:30 PM   #105
Aux

Dojo: Wadokai
Everyone acts like an adult here! Many attempts in the usenet martial arts discussion groups often turn in to mudslinging and name calling contests.

(Or maybe the moderator is just very active )
Old 09-25-2002, 07:26 AM   #106
DaveSiegel
Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan
Thumbs down Re: AikiWeb T-shirt Giveaway!

I travel alot and this web site is great for finding dojos and associated information for those dojos.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:46 AM   #107
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
I will not make a long talk because we have a saying that "pikk jutt - sitt jutt" (long speech - s*itty speech).

Facts: This is one of the most informational easily accessible Aikido sitees in the net.

In the forums are so many Aikidoka all over the place, every rank possible, every view possible.

And I just plain and simple like it all

Thanks to Jun and every other one who has made it all possible.

Aiki spirit is here!

Jorgen

Estonian aikikai

Riveta sportsclub
Old 09-26-2002, 09:39 AM   #108
akiy

Hi folks,

Just a bit more than 24 hours left in responding to this post for a chance to win one of two free T-shirts! (Details are located in the first post of this thread.)

I'll see about answering everyone's questions about this site once the drawing is done tomorrow. Until then, I hope to see more posts here!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-26-2002, 02:58 PM   #109
Adam Ross
This site in my opinion is very beneficial do to one solitary reason. That reason is that it operates as a forum for all aikidoka to express their own viewpoints on aikido. People of all stages within the art. Not just high ranking dans'. People need to be able to get input from people on their level too. And this site serves as a great forum to do that. I thank you!!!

AdamRoss
Old 09-26-2002, 03:26 PM   #110
stoker
Dojo: Dallas Judo & Jiu Jitsu
This site is valuable because you can witness the wisdom of the high-dans, remember the panic of the novices, and see that you alone are not struggling on the road from novice to master. Besides that, they give out free t-shits!

dave stokes
Old 09-26-2002, 07:14 PM   #111
sfellwock
Dojo: Silverstrand Dojo
Why?

Simply put, it is the best source available for any Aikido-based information. This is where I started when I was trying to decide what martial art I wanted to study, and the place I returned after it helped me decide on Aikido.

Keep up the great work!
Old 09-26-2002, 10:27 PM   #112
AlanWardroper
Dojo: Salt Spring Aikikai
Canada
Nam et ipsa scientia potentas est

Great place to share views, find out what's going on off our own little mat. The videos section is a real boon too -- cie to see what others are doing, and how they are doing it.

Thanks for bringing us all together (I'm resisting the urge to do something cute with "harmonizing"). Helping with the Path so difficult to comprehend...

合気とは

解けばむつかしい

道なれど

ありのままなら

天のめぐりよ
Old 09-27-2002, 08:06 AM   #113
Wayne
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
I visit this site almost every day

Hi Jun,

Having started aikido in February, there is a lot that I don't know about it. I am doing my best to "shut up and train" but I have always liked to read about things that interest me. Your site is a great place to swim around in others' experience. While some questions are best addressed to one's sensei, others are not. It is very nice to have a forum where my questions (even those asked by others) are answered by so many different folks.

Thank you VERY much!

Wayne
Old 09-27-2002, 08:35 AM   #114
Ciphryn
Dojo: Southern Berkshire
Do symbol Awesome site!

I like Aikiweb/com because It is a great enrichment to my Aikido studies and It helped me find a new Dojo!!!!
Old 09-27-2002, 12:16 PM   #115
Mike Collins
United_States
I like Aikiweb because sometimes I alienate every human being who reads both Aikido Journal website and E-Budo, and need a place to hide and wait till my personality(ies) disorder(s) subside and I can go back there and make more people mad at me.

By the way, I wear a 3XL. I guess I'd be out of luck, huh?
Old 09-27-2002, 12:52 PM   #116
akiy

We have our winners!

Hi folks,

Phew! There were more people than I expected who replied to this thread. I didn't expect 115 posts -- that's great!

First off, I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words about this site. Sure, it was basically fishing for compliments, but hey -- it keeps me going, you know?

With all of that said, I went over to www.random.org and asked it to generate five random numbers between 1 and 115 and chose the first two numbers as the lucky posters. I would have disregarded my own posts, of course...

Without further ado, I would like to congratulate the following two winners who won AikiWeb T-shirts:
  • Paul Watt (paw)
  • Drew Gardner (Suru)

Then, I thought: Hey, I still have three more numbers that the random number generator picked out for me. Why don't they get anything? So I decided that I would give ten "Aikido" temporary tattoos (each) to the other three names.

The three winners of ten "Aikido" temporary tattoos are:
Congratulations to all five of our AikiWeb T-shirt (and Temporary Tattoo) Giveaway!

Winners, please contact me via e-mail at akiy@aikiweb.com with your shipping address and I'll send these out to you as soon as I can. Paul and Drew, please don't forget to send me your T-shirt size as well!

Thanks, everyone, for participating in this AikiWeb T-shirt Giveaway. That was fun! Maybe we'll do it again sometime...

-- Jun

PS: Yes, I will have the T-shirts and tattoos for sale(!) here online soon. Details to come, hopefully, shortly (once I finish making the order form pages)...

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-27-2002, 09:49 PM   #117
anyman
Dojo: International Karate
Love to win

Al
Old 09-28-2002, 10:28 AM   #118
Gri

Dojo: Fukushinkan Dojo
Re: We have our winners!

Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Yes, I will have the T-shirts and tattoos for sale(!) here online soon. Details to come, hopefully, shortly (once I finish making the order form pages)...
Hope you get them online asap. I know, I'm a sore loser <sigh> but, heck, an AikiWeb is probably one of the few t's I'd proudly wear nowadays.

Gri
Old 09-29-2002, 02:29 AM   #119
SimonW11
Dojo: Bristol University Dojo
Congratulation To the winners.

Simon

Simon
Old 09-29-2002, 03:41 PM   #120
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
Free t-shirt.. Mmmmmmmmm good.

%us = map { $_ => q{belong} } @your_base;
http://www.eaglerockaikido.com
Old 09-29-2002, 09:13 PM   #121
Tony Alegria
Cool Looking into Aikido

Very interesting (refreshing) information about what Aikido is and isn't.

Thank you,

Tony Alegria