Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-09-2002, 11:23 AM   #1
Paul Schweer
Ellis Amdur, Orlando FL, 21-23 Feb 2003

Shindai Aikikai, Orlando, Florida, is excited to announce our first seminar with Ellis Amdur sensei of Seattle, Washington.

Ellis Amdur is a licensed instructor in two koryu (classical Japanese martial traditions), the Araki Ryu and the Toda-ha Buko Ryu. He has practiced aikido for approximately 30 years, thirteen of them in Japan. He studied most intensely with Terry Dobson, Yoshio Kuroiwa and Yasunori Kuwamori. He was a contributing editor of Aikido Journal, and his articles on the subtle integration of martial arts in ordinary life were recently published in book form as, Dueling with Osensei: Grappling with the Myth of the Warrior-Sage.

Please visit http://www.shindai.com/seminars/Amdur/2002/022103.htm for more information.

Shindai Aikikai
1940 Brengle Ave.
Orlando, Florida 32808

Phone: (407) 294-1047

www.shindai.com

info@shindai.com
Old 01-28-2003, 07:24 AM   #2
Paul Schweer
The registration form for this event is now available at
http://www.shindai.com/seminars/Amdu...flyer/form.pdf

If you're planning to attend, please complete and send in this form. Any problems with the form -- any questions about Shindai or this event -- please let me know.

Hope to see you there.

Please see
http://www.shindai.com/seminars/Amdur/2002/022103.htm
for more information.

Shindai Aikikai
1940 Brengle Ave.
Orlando, Florida 32808

Phone: (407) 294-1047

www.shindai.com

Last edited by Paul Schweer : 01-28-2003 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:22 AM   #3
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Thumbs down

Last weekend, I participated in a seminar with Ellis Amdur at the Itten Dojo (http://www.ittendojo.org/) near Harrisburg, PA. I have attended many aikido seminars since I began training in 1984, and this was one of the best I have ever experienced. The teaching was first-rate. Mr. Amdur (who insists that students not address him as 'Sensei' off the mat) is talented, skillful, and knowlegeable. He worked at least as hard as the thirty or so participants. He taught for six hours on Saturday and five hours on Sunday. At the end of the seminar, he demonstrated some Araki-ryu, and with Meik Skoss, he did a powerful and dramatic demonstration of naginata kata from Toda-ha Buko-ryu.

For those of you who have enjoyed his articles in Aiki News (now Aikido Journal) over the years, he teaches as well as he writes, with passion, insight, and humor. His respect and care for the participants came through in his every movement.

Mr. Amdur stated his intention for the seminar in the Itten Dojo flyer as follows:

"I will be teaching aikido, with a particular focus on countering techniques, how to apply atemi without disrupting the movement patterns and organization of aikido, and executing effective technique while maintaining the ideal of aikido as an attempt at the resolution of conflict. To accomplish this, particular attention will be paid to the ability to take ukemi with integrity, rather than either collusion with a partner's ineffective movements or simple resistance.

Another very important aspect of training is one's psychological organization and how it affects the psychological and physical organization of the opponent. This can be referred to as kiai — or aiki — and is relevant to any martial art in which one trains."

Mr. Amdur succeeded well on all counts. Participants spent the first 2 1/2 hours practicing ukemi exercises with the goal of developing suitable ukemi for use outside the dojo, or inside the dojo with a malevolent nage. He presented forward rolling and backward falling or rolling as luxuries, rather than necessities, with a forward fall/breakfall (without slapping) being the default ukemi. The notable exception to this approach was the ukemi from a proper irimi-nage, which immobilizes uke's head.

Mr. Amdur spent the Saturday afternoon session (4 hours) deconstructing and reassembling irimi-nage from the perspective of being able to take uke's balance and use atemi at any point in the technique. He devoted most of Sunday's practice to ikkyo, counters for shihonage and nikkyo (again with a focus on atemi and kuzushi), and exploration of questions from seminar participants.

I must also compliment the students and instructor of the Itten Dojo on their exemplary hospitality, as well as the organization of the seminar. It was professional.

Whether you are interested in aikido as a martial art or a physical discipline with spiritual implications, I urge you to take advantage of any opportunity to train with Mr. Amdur. It's a valuable experience.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:27 AM   #4
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
My Family has been wanting to go to Disney world. Maybe this would be a good time to go. Aikido two birds with one stone as it were.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:50 AM   #5
Paul Schweer
Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
My Family has been wanting to go to Disney world. Maybe this would be a good time to go....
What could be better? Lots of stuff for the family to do; lots of training for you.

Forecast for today is 78, mostly sunny. How's the weather in Winnipeg?

Hope you're able to make it down. Please let me know if you have any questions about the area, attractions, etc. I'll help if I can.

Best,

Paul Schweer
Old 02-05-2003, 05:53 AM   #6
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Quote:
Paul Schweer wrote:
What could be better? Lots of stuff for the family to do; lots of training for you.

Forecast for today is 78, mostly sunny. How's the weather in Winnipeg?

Hope you're able to make it down. Please let me know if you have any questions about the area, attractions, etc. I'll help if I can.

Best,

Paul Schweer
No that's OK Paul. Wife and I have been to Orlando before. I don't want to get my hopes up though. Work is kind of sticky about going on a weeks holidays when its not actually your holiday time. It's 30 below celcius here. Your 78 sounds nice to me.

Last edited by Kelly Allen : 02-05-2003 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
Paul Schweer
Picture Painter, Portrait Maker

The French Quarter stinks. Beer and vomit and urine and hurricanes gone sour, sticky on the slate, in the streets washed not quite clean, gleaming. Quiet in mid morning. Pillow-shaped pastries powdered white. Hot milk and coffee, sugar stirred in, cooling, covering with a dark film. Warm and sweet. Bitter underneath.

Houses rotting. Mansions restored. Store fronts boarded up. Homes above businesses behind balconies caged in iron, hung with limp curtains formed from potted plants. Churches, museums, statues, and squares. Children on bottle-cap shoes and singers. Palm reader, tarot. Picture painter. Portrait maker. Girl hanging from a door. Bed and breakfast. Voodoo. Art and antiques.

Back in the back, behind the walking sticks and the cat-of-nine-tails -- after ducking under antique chandeliers, squeezing past a line of fireplace surrounds, on a clean well-lit wall was a picture. Landscape painting, looked like to me. But, in the foreground, one small figure. One man walking, making his way up from a low spot.

One man saw me looking. Told me what he knew about what he saw me looking at.

Picture was painted soon after the Civil War. Notice how the colors move from dark to light. Notice how the land moves toward the distant hill. There, on the hill. See the homestead? See it catching light? See it far off in the distance, and the small figure of a man moving toward it? What about him? What is he wearing? Can't really tell. What's that he carries, weapon or walking stick? Soldier returning from war, or traveler? Farmer returning from a far field? Not clear. But he is moving. Going to a higher place shown in a distant light.

That's what the man said. That's what he saw.

I saw a landscape. One man trying to find his way home.

Paul Schweer