Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #26
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Bill Gleason YouTube Videos

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Tony! You're back! Whereya been, dude, been missing you.
You big fibber you!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #27
thisisnotreal

I quite liked this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHpym...eature=related
Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #28
thisisnotreal

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
His hands and arms look lax, almost empty but when you run into those hands of his; it's either a hole or...bam...a 2x4 in your face! If you watch Bill's touch on the arms or neck of that uke, you can see the weight dropping on the guy while Bill keeps his energy in himself.
Quote:
..yeah, that "I'm just walking in the park and people are falling on their ass all around me" aspect is one of the things I love about his aikido.
so uh... yeah. that is amazing. It is rather striking.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Another one: http://youtu.be/_16CoXLMxCs
Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #30
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Nice video. It's nice to see some familiar movements in other parts of the world.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #31
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Jory Boling wrote: View Post
Nice video. It's nice to see some familiar movements in other parts of the world.
That's exactly what I thought when watching the posted vidoes of William Gleason.
I don't know whether I see what he is doing. Or wether I see, what I want to see. But it looks very familiar.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #32
Robert A. Wilkins

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote: View Post
Very nice videos Hugh.

I have a question that has always stuck with me and seeing this instructor reminded me about it.

I don't know who this is but he never seems to stays focused on his Uke after he throws. It seems flippant to me. I see a few instructors do this. They throw Uke but have no Zanshin afterwards.

Teaching situational awareness is a big part of martial arts but I don't see that aspect being taught here. I'm sure he might have it but he doesn't seem to teach it in these videos. I know other instructors that stay focused on Uke until he recovers and that's what I was always taught in any of the arts I've studied.

It seems that habits like this would be hard to break once ingrained in your teaching methods. If you get a chance can you ask him why he does this?

Thanks

-
As for Gleason Sensei not seeming "focused" on uke after executing a technique, I can say such is not the case. Gleason Sensei knows what's going on on every part of the mat, this too has been my personal experience with him. I've seen him standing on one end of the mat and the next instant he's off to the far corner of the mat correcting something he saw. I've also seen Gleason Sensei finish his pins by completely immobilizing and holding his ukes down for several minutes whilst they struggled to get back up.

So while it may "appear" to you that Gleason Sensei lacks the requisite amount of zanshin, I can say, as someone who has swung a bokken at him for a while now, that such is not the case.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #33
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Quote:
Robert Wilkins wrote: View Post
As for Gleason Sensei not seeming "focused" on uke after executing a technique, I can say such is not the case. Gleason Sensei knows what's going on on every part of the mat, this too has been my personal experience with him. I've seen him standing on one end of the mat and the next instant he's off to the far corner of the mat correcting something he saw. I've also seen Gleason Sensei finish his pins by completely immobilizing and holding his ukes down for several minutes whilst they struggled to get back up.

So while it may "appear" to you that Gleason Sensei lacks the requisite amount of zanshin, I can say, as someone who has swung a bokken at him for a while now, that such is not the case.
I second the above. In my experience, when I've been thrown by Gleason Sensei, there's never any chance of escaping afterwards. He's always stayed very "connected" to me. Also, maybe take a look at some videos of his teacher, yamaguchi Sensei - people used to complain of how "sticky" he was - they could not get away. Gleason Sensei is great at this.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #34
DH
United_States

Quote:
Stephen Trinkle wrote: View Post
I second the above. In my experience, when I've been thrown by Gleason Sensei, there's never any chance of escaping afterwards. He's always stayed very "connected" to me. Also, maybe take a look at some videos of his teacher, yamaguchi Sensei - people used to complain of how "sticky" he was - they could not get away. Gleason Sensei is great at this.
More interesting is that stickyness is a known quality and a known side effect of very specific training, so is heavy hands. Ya don't have to train for twenty to thirty years in "hopes" of getting it, and more than likely not at all.
Cheers
Dan
Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #35
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
More interesting is that stickyness is a known quality and a known side effect of very specific training, so is heavy hands. Ya don't have to train for twenty to thirty years in "hopes" of getting it, and more than likely not at all.
Cheers
Dan
"Heavy hands" - that is a great description of the feeling. Now where else have I felt that recently...?