Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #126
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Re: Future of Aikido

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Alex, I'm surprised by your comment. NO-one's ever taught you what shihonage is? Is this common?

Regards.G.
I think what Alex means is that (for example) the description kosa dori shiho nage does not describe the movements between kosa dori and shiho nage. It describes only the start A and finish B, not how to get from A to B.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #127
MM
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Mark are you trying to further the conversation or are you taking another one of your endless follow-Mike-around shots at me? This is the umpteenth time... you need to figure whether you have some goal in life other than harrassing me.

My point was pretty clear... before people start talking about "reeling silk" the place to start is with breathing techniques. If you don't understand breathing techniques, reeling-silk is a waste of time. Why don't you, for once, tell us what you know as part of the conversation rather than wasting your time with the attempts to smear?

Mike Sigman
Endless? Really? Do you really want to go there? It's pretty much in black and white posts on when I started calling you on your attitude and it's relatively recently. Again, you're trying to portray yourself as some victim of personality attacks when, if you read my posts, I'm using your exact words to get you to do exactly what you're telling other people to do.

Let's go back and repost your words, "it's perfectly legitimate if someone claims to be doing "silk reeling" or some other buzzword to ask them to explain it."

Are you going to explain silk reeling or not? You were the one who said it was perfectly legitimate to ask. Of course, with the post above, it's clear to everyone that you aren't going to explain it. It's *beyond* everyone here. Everyone should go back to breathing techniques. Everyone is wasting their time if they are doing silk reeling. You know where everyone is at in their training, Mike?

How about just doing exactly what you said for everyone else to do and start explaining silk reeling and quit portraying people as either too dumb to understand or not skilled enough to be at that level.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #128
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Quote:
Patrick Hutchinson wrote: View Post
so it goes:

MS says define silk reeling
DH says there isn't a single agreed on definition
next
MS will say suspect all those who can't define the simplest concepts. I can, but I won't.
DH will say How come you talk the talk only up to point, never mind not being able to walk the walk
MS will say beware those bearing jin tricks
DH will tell us he has 42 pairs of stretch socks
MS will say that is irrelevant
Phi will make a lascivious joke about stretch socks and "the suit"
Chris Hein will say that you can find perfectly adequate stretch socks within aikido
DH will ask what could "a kid" know about stretch socks
MS will point out that the Chinese invented stretch socks, they just called them "peng" because of the smell
etc.
Yo Patrick,

That was some funny stuff
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #129
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Not to take sides, but once "funny stuff" is mentioned I start laughing and remembering teaching shiho nage out of cat food commercials.

( Daian always going back to few short years at a Y....)

I asked my new students: "You think this is some kind of complicated Asian martial art?

" Look at the cats on tv, the Chow Chow Chow (the old Purina Cat
Chow commercial) Step the foot forward, then step the foot back."

This was the entry when uke grabbed your wrist when you stepped forward and then you stepped back to begin the lead.
Then they had trouble getting under their own arm, so I said think of a towel, you're just drying your rear off on an imaginary towel.

Not to be disrespectful of senior practicioners of the various arts and styles out there, but come on, people admit you use examples to get a technique across to students who really want to learn.

I can't be the only one even though I taught at a Y. The Y is where you can really reach students who may not have realized they wanted to learn a martial art. And I did teach it for effectiveness too, the best I knew how.

Not trying to start a dispute, but if they have everyday descriptions in the Chinese arts, why not in Aikido? Terry Dobson, who many people feel was one of the Greats, used a lot of examples....

Still, it's rather hard to get the real thing across with words if you are not there. Some people on this thread say you have to feel the technique to understand it.

I'll go back to reading, I hope Howard at least thinks this post is funny.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #130
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Patrick Hutchinson wrote: View Post
so it goes:

MS says define silk reeling
DH says there isn't a single agreed on definition
next
MS will say suspect all those who can't define the simplest concepts. I can, but I won't.
DH will say How come you talk the talk only up to point, never mind not being able to walk the walk
MS will say beware those bearing jin tricks
DH will tell us he has 42 pairs of stretch socks
MS will say that is irrelevant
Phi will make a lascivious joke about stretch socks and "the suit"
Chris Hein will say that you can find perfectly adequate stretch socks within aikido
DH will ask what could "a kid" know about stretch socks
MS will point out that the Chinese invented stretch socks, they just called them "peng" because of the smell
etc.
Meanwhile the Systema folks are busy punching the punky out of each other...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #131
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Let's go back and repost your words, "it's perfectly legitimate if someone claims to be doing "silk reeling" or some other buzzword to ask them to explain it."

Are you going to explain silk reeling or not?
Show me the post where I claimed to be teaching reeling silk to anyone on this forum, Mark. Or to Aikidoists. The comment was made that Doran Sensei was teaching silk reeling or something like it to Aikidoists. I certainly never have stated, AFAIK, something like that on this forum.

Last time. Quit following me around, a la Justin Smith, with the harrassing posts, Mark.

Mike Sigman
Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #132
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
How about just doing exactly what you said for everyone else to do and start explaining silk reeling and quit portraying people as either too dumb to understand or not skilled enough to be at that level. (Mark Murray)
Quote:
Not to be disrespectful of senior practicioners of the various arts and styles out there, but come on, people admit you use examples to get a technique across to students who really want to learn.(Diana Frese)
Quote:
My point was pretty clear... before people start talking about "reeling silk" the place to start is with breathing techniques. If you don't understand breathing techniques, reeling-silk is a waste of time. (Mike Sigman)
Mike
Don't you offer 'pool noodling' at your workshops as a entry to silk reeling? Isn't pool noodling your creative approach to getting folks into the a body connective type of movement, saying that pool noodling was easier for those of us will little knowledge of CMA to get a handle on? I think I remember someone saying that when showing pool noodling to Chen Bing (or someone at his level) he responding that it was silk reeling. Many of us Aikido folks have been to your workshops and were introduced to pool noodling, which I still work at when I want to feel all of my body moving. I think you talked about breathing in connection with the poodle noodling. Maybe it would be helpful for other here if you talked to pool noodling.
Gary
Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #133
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Mike
Don't you offer 'pool noodling' at your workshops as a entry to silk reeling?
Gary, I do not give Aikido workshops. We were talking about an Aikido workshop, IIRC.
Quote:

Isn't pool noodling your creative approach to getting folks into the a body connective type of movement, saying that pool noodling was easier for those of us will little knowledge of CMA to get a handle on? I think I remember someone saying that when showing pool noodling to Chen Bing (or someone at his level) he responding that it was silk reeling.
No, it was Chen Youze and he recognized the principles of it immediately; but it is not silk-reeling.
Quote:
Many of us Aikido folks have been to your workshops and were introduced to pool noodling, which I still work at when I want to feel all of my body moving. I think you talked about breathing in connection with the poodle noodling. Maybe it would be helpful for other here if you talked to pool noodling.
Why don't you talk to it, Gary? It's been a couple of years since you were at that workshop, so I assume you have pretty good expertise and understanding of the principles, now. It's not rocket science.

Go back and look at the very useful and detailed discussion of some of the ki demonstrations that Ikeda Sensei did. Notice how the thread was destroyed (not contributed to) by 'friends' of yours, Gary. Why don't you ask them some public questions.... or do you think I'm the only person capable of giving practical answers?

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #134
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Yo Patrick,

That was some funny stuff
Pretty funny. Maybe Patrick can give you some info on internal strength, too.

Howard, why don't you post some detailed "how to" stuff on AikiWeb? That might be helpful.

Mike Sigman
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #135
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

You made me chuckle, Diana...the best metaphors are the ones that work in the moment. I bet you are fun to train with.
Mary
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #136
DH
United_States

NONE OF THIS IS IN FACT...PERSONAL. It is asking a question of someone using their own standards. Gees!
You will note that neither Gary or Mark or Marc offered opinons on the topic.
And Marks questions still apply.
1. If someone calls into doubt others statements about silk reeling and offers their own opinions about silk reeling....
2. Then go on continually that it is far game to ask for details about those opinions...
3. Then it is fair game to ask them for details.

Mark also pointed out what the response was going to be
4.. Attack the person asking Mike a Question
Which is exactly what Mike did
5. Then challenge the person to offer their own-even though that person never mentioned a thing about the topic and calling them an expert (passive /agressive insult)..
6.Offer no answer
7. All this...while claiming personal attack for asking a freakin question!!

Good grief!
We need to do better than this, and others are trying to do just that.

Lets stay on topic

The future of aikido
I'm waiting for my own questions to be answered. If the future of aikido is going to involve teachers and students in the art, investing years into a body of work as yet unknown to them,and Mike wants to be a part of that, then some evidence of the sucess of that methods is in order.
Where are Mikes students?

I have produced people with power and skills... many of you have met them
Ark has produced people of power and skill...we have met them.
So has Toby...I have met them
So has Ushiro...look at Ikeda and others who are just now training with him.
Mike will not produce people for us to go test
Instead he is quoted telling teachers he has people currently developing,,,and wait till the world meets them, then they will see the real IP.
Okay, no problem with me.
All that does though is firmly and finally establish the pecking order Mike talks about
Mike is the new kid on the block

All I can say is that we are pulling for you, Mike. I am truly hoping for the best from you and I wish you good luck. I just wish you would tone down the rhetoric and be more even handed and fair with others who are working this as well; both with and within the aikido community at large. As many here are discovering more and more are instead just walking away because of certain attitudes and behaviors..
We have to begin by offering an open hand to those we are claiming we want to share with.
Mutual respect and professional conduct goes a long way when martial arts are involved.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-20-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #137
DH
United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
You made me chuckle, Diana...the best metaphors are the ones that work in the moment. I bet you are fun to train with.
Mary
Analogy and metaphor for concepts that are felt more than delineated are pretty common in the arts. I think the failure of many Asian teachers are that they lack details even when they are available. It's not the norm in the Asian model.
I also think some American Aikido teachers and Asians who have been teaching for a long time IN America are in fact doing better at explaining physical skills,.even while using metaphor.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-20-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #138
MM
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Show me the post where I claimed to be teaching reeling silk to anyone on this forum, Mark. Or to Aikidoists. The comment was made that Doran Sensei was teaching silk reeling or something like it to Aikidoists. I certainly never have stated, AFAIK, something like that on this forum.

Last time. Quit following me around, a la Justin Smith, with the harrassing posts, Mark.

Mike Sigman
If you aren't going to explain silk reeling, why not just tell people up front instead of telling them they should go back to basics because you think they aren't advanced enough to understand.

And following? Have I replied to your every post? No. And harrassing? I asked you the exact question that you asked everyone else. Are you then harrassing everyone?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #139
Janet Rosen

Please stop thread hijacking via bickering. Thank you.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #140
DH
United_States

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
Not to take sides, but once "funny stuff" is mentioned I start laughing and remembering teaching shiho nage out of cat food commercials.

( Daian always going back to few short years at a Y....)

I asked my new students: "You think this is some kind of complicated Asian martial art?

" Look at the cats on tv, the Chow Chow Chow (the old Purina Cat
Chow commercial) Step the foot forward, then step the foot back."

This was the entry when uke grabbed your wrist when you stepped forward and then you stepped back to begin the lead.
Then they had trouble getting under their own arm, so I said think of a towel, you're just drying your rear off on an imaginary towel.

Not to be disrespectful of senior practicioners of the various arts and styles out there, but come on, people admit you use examples to get a technique across to students who really want to learn.

I can't be the only one even though I taught at a Y. The Y is where you can really reach students who may not have realized they wanted to learn a martial art. And I did teach it for effectiveness too, the best I knew how.

Not trying to start a dispute, but if they have everyday descriptions in the Chinese arts, why not in Aikido? Terry Dobson, who many people feel was one of the Greats, used a lot of examples....

Still, it's rather hard to get the real thing across with words if you are not there. Some people on this thread say you have to feel the technique to understand it.

I'll go back to reading, I hope Howard at least thinks this post is funny.
Hi Diane (if I may)
I think it is indeed common. I routinely talk with teachers and I steal some of their terms (with permission and credit of course). Some Aikido teachers have developed excellent skill at getting others to understand the physical. My students and I steal from each other as some have better ways to get people "to feel" things than others.

I just got off the phone with another teacher, who brought a 6th dan to an event. The message is relevant to the topic at hand.
The 6 dan Aikido teacher was impressed with the practical and applicable teaching he was offered at a workshop- finding it coherent and immeadiately applicable to his Aikido. He has gone on to purchase reading material that was referenced and is practicing certain exerices in earnest.
Interestingly, the teaching he was offered was done in a composite of science, mechanics, and... metaphor, in order to understand; what, how, and then create... a feel for things that were not easily accessed through a mental understanding or a detailed explanation. Many times what is moving, why it matters and then how to to move it are difficult to make happen on a physical level. Otherwise we could all just read a book and be masters of something or other. I've lost track of metaphors and exercises I have invented to solve a teachers struggles. and then delighted to see and hear them creating their own for for their students
I think that is a tale that goes back generations!!
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-20-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #141
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Thanks for the validation, friends. Here is something from Saotome Sensei and Dobson Sensei in the late seventies because you mentioned "generations"

I think it relates to keeping your center during multiple attack, Saotome Sensei I think carried a baby doll onto the stage during a demo, if I remember correctly. I do remember the baby doll distinctly. You are protecting something live, something valuable, if not a baby, you are still protecting yourself, the vital organs of the body while multiple people are attacking you, so you start to turn, and it generates a circular force and they can't connect with this spinning force, and they fall off (like tangents to a circle, or is my geometry mixed up?)

Terry did this in static, just standing there to begin with.He would have one person push from the front, one from the back, one pushing each shoulder and then he would start to turn on the axis of his body and people couldn't keep pushing against a turning person, so they spun off and had to roll out.....
Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #142
DH
United_States

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
Thanks for the validation, friends. Here is something from Saotome Sensei and Dobson Sensei in the late seventies because you mentioned "generations"

I think it relates to keeping your center during multiple attack, Saotome Sensei I think carried a baby doll onto the stage during a demo, if I remember correctly. I do remember the baby doll distinctly. You are protecting something live, something valuable, if not a baby, you are still protecting yourself, the vital organs of the body while multiple people are attacking you, so you start to turn, and it generates a circular force and they can't connect with this spinning force, and they fall off (like tangents to a circle, or is my geometry mixed up?)

Terry did this in static, just standing there to begin with.He would have one person push from the front, one from the back, one pushing each shoulder and then he would start to turn on the axis of his body and people couldn't keep pushing against a turning person, so they spun off and had to roll out.....
Isn't teaching challenging?
I think time and effort and feedback...will improve teachers, but only in as much as we are willing to invest and listen.

That baby model hilarious and further proves my point. I will ask for some students to verify if needed... I use a model called protecting the baby as it does something to them physically and mentally in movement. There are some rather interesting thigns about turning having to do with in yo ho that are not normal and hard to do at first that greatly enhance that drill.Most people turn while really only focusing on the vector of attack and one side of their body opening...terribly inefficiennt,

I also teach a model about gripping and entering- using a snake as a model. If you grab a snake by the tail and shake and apply force in different directions the snake cannot climb up its own body to get you. After a minute or so it goes completely limp. Then....when it tries again, do the same inconsistent movements and it goes dead again. I've done it on an 11 foot python as well-though it wasn't so dramatic it completely relaxed on me letting go and sliding off my leg as it tried to catch itself. .
This ties in with three different arts teaching I know where they document certain physical response failures in multiples. The neuro/muscular system cannot respond.
Now if I were some ancient Japanese teacher my snake discovery would probably be an arts origin legend: I learned from watching the animals rolleyes:
Instead it's just some white boy from the woods in Massachusetts messing about!.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-20-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #143
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
I think what Alex means is that (for example) the description kosa dori shiho nage does not describe the movements between kosa dori and shiho nage. It describes only the start A and finish B, not how to get from A to B.
Dave, I understand that but that's the same for the names of most techniques anywhere isn't it, especially chinese. The name refers to an aspect of it but the discription of it would have to be a step by step thing.

Secondly, what it's based on. I assumed everyone knew where the techniques come from and what they're based on. An explanation of such should come from the teacher and remove a lot of confusion as the student can then visualise it and see what they are supposed to be replicating.

Regards.G.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #144
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
Yep. I've always felt that in Aikido I'm kinda left trying to figure a lot of things out for myself. I have my own vocabulary for describing different body movements I find in techniques. There's nothing in Aikido terminology that actually tells you what you're doing, it just describes an end state i.e shiho nage. But how do you get to shihonage? There's no way, that I know of, of describing techniques and what you actually need to do to perform them.
Dear Alex,
I find it staggering that you state that there are no methods of describing waza to let you know what to do.As far as making up your own vocabulary, why not simply learn the normal names?If you are also being left to figure out things for yourself, where are /what are your instructors doing? Aikido terminology [if you know it?] tells you exactly what you are doing.However if you make up your own names is it any wonder you are confused?
Do you self a favour buy a book or print out stuff from a Web Page on Aikido terminology.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #145
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Alex,
I find it staggering that you state that there are no methods of describing waza to let you know what to do.
I agree. And they are not fancy-shmancy words either: off the top of my head and in no particular order (I am NOT describing one particular technique here) the verbal parsing of most waza in terms of body movement can be described with words like "pivot" "step""enter" "extend outward" "extend upward" "cut" etc....

Within our dojo, where ki exercises are done at the start of every class, students also can parse out a technique by being reminded of the relevent exercise: funekoki waza back, then forward, take a step while doing udemawashi... etc.

Janet Rosen
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #146
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I agree. And they are not fancy-shmancy words either: off the top of my head and in no particular order (I am NOT describing one particular technique here) the verbal parsing of most waza in terms of body movement can be described with words like "pivot" "step""enter" "extend outward" "extend upward" "cut" etc....

Within our dojo, where ki exercises are done at the start of every class, students also can parse out a technique by being reminded of the relevent exercise: funekoki waza back, then forward, take a step while doing udemawashi... etc.
Dear Janet,
Thanks for support of my blog.Is it any wonder that Aikido is seen as some mystic art?In my opinion if an instructor cannot or will not give clear instructions /and or the student cannot comprehend basics , there is certainly something amiss in the dojo.Assuming of course that there is not a communication problem eg different lanquage/disability [deafness ]involved.Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #147
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Janet,
Thanks for support of my blog.Is it any wonder that Aikido is seen as some mystic art?In my opinion if an instructor cannot or will not give clear instructions /and or the student cannot comprehend basics , there is certainly something amiss in the dojo.Assuming of course that there is not a communication problem eg different lanquage/disability [deafness ]involved.Cheers, Joe.
Now having agreed on that... I also am one who uses imagery and metaphor to describe the *feeling* or essence of the underlying principles.... but yeah, in terms of describing the body movement...well I'm not a natural athlete and as a beginner in aikido the only way I COULD learn was to parse it out into steps and speak them as I did them

Janet Rosen
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #148
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

I think that some of our trepidation is the "what will everyone say if I say 'silk reeling'?" Or, more appropriately, what will everyone say if you include a non-common exercise in your training? Part of our trouble is the confidence issue to say, "I teach X" and withstand the onslaught of critics who say "how do you know you correctly are teaching the exercise? How do you know the exercise is beneficial? How are you showing something not approved by your organization? etc. These are tough questions and we will have to answer them. And we need to answer them to demonstate we have a clear idea of what we are doing, even if it can be improved upon.

Next, we need to understand as the critiquing public that our contributions should be directed at improving aikido, not bashing someone for trying to incorporate a new exercise into our classes. As instructors we need to be honest with ourselves that if we cannot correctly instruct an exercise, we need to find someone who can (or learn from someone). Some of the best instructors I know are the first to drag in an instructor to show something they are not familiar with...

Also, it sounds silly but a good lexicon will help our teaching when we delve into the creepy stuff. When the "feel this" and "feel that" starts to come out, enough of the equation is resolved to allow the student to focus on the "feel" of the exercise.

For example, I advocate zeppo undo as a great exercise for developing a strong base. I usually focus on the exercise in much the same fashion I learned my baseball swing and now use in my golf swing - the firing of leg muscles and ab muscles to generate hip torque... the proper rotation of the knees as your hips open, the extension of you quads... placing your weight behind the push... any hitting coach or golf coach will tell you these are positive traits. Heck, I could probably pull 10 articles from my golf digest that are great for transferring leg strength into rotational movement. But how many of us do zeppo undo by simply turning at the waist? There are so many great exercises out their that we can use if we have the *#^$& to use them. And while I used sports in my example, the same is true of other martial arts. Check with someone who knows, stick em in and wait til someone who knows tells you a better thing to do.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #149
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
I think that some of our trepidation is the "what will everyone say if I say 'silk reeling'?" Or, more appropriately, what will everyone say if you include a non-common exercise in your training? Part of our trouble is the confidence issue to say, "I teach X" and withstand the onslaught of critics who say "how do you know you correctly are teaching the exercise?
Well, obviously these are valid considerations. Think, for instance, of how many basic Aikido exercises (Aiki Taiso) that are within the Aikido syllabus and people have done them since day 1, but how many people in Aikido doing those exercises have wound up with the basic kokyu skills that should have resulted from doing Aiki Taiso correctly? Not many, or there wouldn't be this current consternation about kokyu/ki skills, right?

So if there is a valid question about in-house exercises being done, to a widespread degree, incorrectly, then there is a valid concern about 'outside' exercises being understood even less correctly and brought into Aikido or some other art.

One of my objections to "reeling silk" exercises is that in the Taiji community, reeling silk talk is very common. "Spiralling energy", and so on. Yet it also becomes sort of a buzzword more than anything else because copying the external exercise is most of what people tend to do. Knowing that, I'm not enthusiastic about one more buzzword exercise being added to Aikido since the art has more than adequate exercises as it stands.... when used correctly.

Another factor to think about is what I call "Too Much Information from Too Many Sources", although it's along the same lines as the idea that Aikido has plenty of good exercises. I usually try to get a feel of where someone's training is by feeling their results in very basic situations. I let them push me backwards, I feel their arms as they're moving, I feel their "root", etc. Most people need work at that basic level, so learning new things is just one more way to get their mind occupied with something other than the simple basics that they need to work on. It's like those people who go to a workshop every month and "learn so many good things", but they don't have basic internal-strength skills because they're too busy going to workshops to stay home and work on the basics.

Think about this for a second.... "reeling silk" sounds interesting, but what does it really do and how does it do it? Is there something similar in Aikido that would actually bring the point home better and more quickly? I think so. The trick is to get that original information of how to do it and the "what does it do" out there accurately. I actually explained how to do some of this 4 or 5 years ago somewhere in a thread on AikiWeb, but who remembers it? Is it worth trying to write it out again so that 4 or 5 years from now no one can remember it again? I think it's better to just show a few Aikido people when I meet them and let them pass it on.

2 cents.

Mike Sigman
Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #150
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

I think the consideration of what we do and why we do it would apply pressure to correct poor aikido exercises. Sometimes it's easier to fix something broken than build something new from the ground up. I include myself in this group BTW; I sometimes wear the idiot hat when I see an exercise done correctly [from what I've been doing]. Dang.

I think what I find very often is that aikido has a good exercise, even if a poor demonstation and explanation comes with it. Sometimes that outside exercise provides a better demonstration of what we are doing and a better explanation of why are we doing it. I appreciate the people who act as translators in these cases to allow us to integrate a better demonstration and explanation for what we are doing and why...