Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
iBudokan: Aikido App for iPhone and iPad

Posted 2011-08-01 14:48:37 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.ibudokan.com/aikido.htm

I've just been notified about this aikido app called iBudokan for the iPhone and iPad that features Miles Kessler sensei (5th dan, Aikikai). They include a free version of their intermediate 1 app.

Has anyone tried this series out who can comment?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Thumbs up Re: iBudokan: Aikido App for iPhone and iPad

I have several of them, and they are awesome. :-)

I only played with them a little when I first bought them, but as I recall then it was hard to know in which app to find which technique. The "All" version is out now, and that's the next one I'm going to get, so there's no guessing about where to look.

Very valuable, fun resource, and well produced. I highly recommend it!

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Peter Wong
Re: iBudokan: Aikido App for iPhone and iPad

What's the cost for the all version?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

it's probably expensive to perform aikido with the ipad. don't know about the iphone, it's a bit light to really cause any major impact.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Should have started with Android. Development is easier (ask a friend of mine who had to jump through more hoops than a circus lion just to get a single app out for the iphone.)

In other words, "my prefered platform can beat up your perfered platform and the fact you're not using it shows you suck and don't understand the realities behind technology. It totally won't work in the street."
Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

LOL Well... 'cept the sales for an iPhone app are usually much higher than for the corresponding Android app. :-) So if you're going to choose one... And the development environment for iPad is pretty nice. My dear hubby has about 60 apps out for the iPhone and iPad. No jumping through hoops. Build 'em, submit 'em (and wait...), support 'em.

I'm looking at the store now, and I don't see the "All" version yet. Maybe it's been submitted, but isn't launched yet?

The others are each $4.99, except Aikido-Intermediate 1, which is FREE, so you can see if you like them.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 08-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Linda Eskin wrote: View Post
LOL Well... 'cept the sales for an iPhone app are usually much higher than for the corresponding Android app. :-) So if you're going to choose one... And the development environment for iPad is pretty nice. My dear hubby has about 60 apps out for the iPhone and iPad. No jumping through hoops. Build 'em, submit 'em (and wait...), support 'em.

I'm looking at the store now, and I don't see the "All" version yet. Maybe it's been submitted, but isn't launched yet?

The others are each $4.99, except Aikido-Intermediate 1, which is FREE, so you can see if you like them.
I'm glad your husband was able to get those apps out painlessly. It took my friend hundreds of dollars and months of hoop jumping just for the licenses. Android was under $100 and less than a week.

And popularity doesn't determine how good something is. Otherwise we'd all be doing a differen marital art.

I'm just razzing you. I do hope an Android version gets marketed sometime though.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia

I've got the free one, I think it's just brilliant. I love how you can arrange videos by attack or technique, and the multiple angle, slow motion and close-up for each works a treat.

The world changes when you do.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
I'm glad your husband was able to get those apps out painlessly. It took my friend hundreds of dollars and months of hoop jumping just for the licenses. Android was under $100 and less than a week.
Same here. Getting an app up in the iPhone App Store takes three years and four animals; getting an app up in the Android Market took $25 and a few minutes.

I also wouldn't assume that an iPhone app is more popular. The last big wave of mindless iPhone purchases has come and gone, as the reality of Android erodes the "only an iPhone is any good, I don't know why this is so but I believe the marketing" zombie purchasing impulse. In recent purchases (including the big iPhone-on-Verizon push), IOS had 25% market share, Android had 50%, everything else (Blackberry, windows, palm, etc.) had the remainder.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Toby Threadgill
United_States

Hi,

Miles showed me his aikido app when I saw him in Zurich last spring. I thought it was fun to use and a great idea.

As for the Andriod / iPhone debate....Seriously?

Yawn.....

Toby Threadgill / TSYR
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States

Miles Sensei is an accomplished Aikidoist and instructor. He spent years in Japan with Saito Morihiro Shihan. Many of my beginner students are using this app for "off the mat" homestudy.

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Great idea, but i had to tell my students not to use it since it is different techniques from what we do in our dojo. Would be great to use the 'template' and enter new content for other styles..

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
Chen Amrani
Dojo: Integral Dojo\ Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Hey everyone,

Im very new here and I was so happy to see all the comments about the app.
My teacher is Miles Kessler sensei... and if you already downloaded some of the apps I wanted to share with you that the new weapons app is out already!

http://www.ibudokan.com/index.htm