Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Ellis Amdur

Root arts connected to Daito-ryu and Aikido

I have posted a set of links of videos of arts that the founding fathers studied. These art ryu mentioned in Hidden in Plain Sight

Chapter 1. The Chinese Connection
Kito-ryu - This is obviously connected with the Kodokan's Koshiki no Kata - this group is the last that asserts to practice Kito-ryu - I believe the lineal connection is partially broken, and the kata reconstructed.
Yoshin-ryu - Toby Threadgill, Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin-ryu
Tenjin Shinyo-ryu (Kubota line)
Tenjin Shinyo-ryu (Shibata line) -
NOTE: Ueshiba Morihei briefly studied this

Aizu's most prominent otome ryu
Mizoguchi-ha Itto-ryu

Takeda Sokaku
1. Ono-ha Itto-ryu
2. Ono-ha Itto-ryu

Jikishinkage-ryu

1. Hozoin-ryu Takada-ha
2. Hozoin-ryu Takada-ha

Horikawa Taiso & Horikawa Kodo
Shibukawa-ryu

Ueshiba Morihei
See above for Tenjin Shinyo-ryu. He also briefly studied judo.
Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu kenjutsu
Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu bojutsu
Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu yawara - Ueshiba studied this appr. 2x a week for four years previous to his entry into Daito-ryu

Yagyu Shinkage-ryu - Ueshiba audited this through Kisaburo Gejo. He adopted several kata and turned them into his aiki-ken which he taught to Tomiki Kenji and later, Hikitsuchi Morio, among others.

Kashima Shinto-ryu - Ueshiba observed his son and another deshi train in this for several years - and adopted several of the kata into the sword training in Iwama. NOTE: Ueshiba did not study Kashima Shin-ryu, a very different school.

Kukishinden-ryu bojutsu - I was not able to find a video of the Kukishin-ryu solo bojutsu form through the Kuki family line.. Most of what is up on the web is Bujinkan derived - and that is not relevant to the discussion. I have theorized that, given some overlap in techniques, and Ueshiba's connection with the Kuki family (even teaching at their dojo), part of the inspiration for his solo jo form was through these kata.

Sagawa Yukiyoshi - studied Kogen Itto-ryu. I was not able to find any videos on the web.

Best
Ellis Amdur

Last edited by Ellis Amdur : 02-13-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Chris Covington

United_States
Re: Root arts connected to Daito-ryu and Aikido

A few months ago I posted a simillar thread over at E-budo: http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42602 I had less ryu since I did not include any ryu Ueshiba sensei may have studied. I did add a few links with Sumo and Hozoin-ryu as well.

Best regards,

Chris Covington
Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu
Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Ellis Amdur

HI Chris - Hadn't seen that thread. Seems like I've gone over ground covered, to some extent.

I have a film clip of Kukishin-ryu solo bojutsu, but no permission to upload publicly.

I was surprised at the lack of Kogen Itto-ryu. I suppose if one winnowed through all the film clips of the Budokan kobudo taikai, one could find a clip, but I'm putting that out there as encouragement for some diligent person other than me

Ellis Amdur

Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
dps

Thanks Ellis for the post. Fascinating. I am going to look at Chris's post as soon as I am done with Ellis's.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Chris Covington

United_States

Hi Ellis,

Kukishin-ryu bojutsu looks a lot like the aikijo I've seen. In the mid-1990's I learned a little bit from a Gembukan member (Just the first solo bo kata that has all of the kihon strikes in it). A few years later I saw John Goss sensei do some aikijo (31-step kata maybe?) and noticed how there were a few movement patterns that were almost identical. On the Kukishin-ryu website there is a photo of Kuki sensei and Ueshiba sensei together which might make sense.

I think it is good to go over some of the gournd again since there are now better clips than the ones I posted (The Jikishinkage-ryu clip I posted is pretty bad. The one you posted is much better) and you've added ryu that Ueshiba sensei studied as well.

Best regards,

Chris Covington
Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu