Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines
Directions to Aikikai Hombu Dojo please!

Hi everyone,

belated Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

I haven't posted in a while because I've been flooded with work hehe.

Anyway, I spent the last hour looking at google maps and wikimapia trying to look for the Aikikai Humbo dojo.

However the map on the Aikikai website isn't detailed enough. However I did find two Humbo dojos in wikimapia - both of which are in Shinjuku within the immediate area of the Wakamatsu-kawada Station and the Higashi-Shinjuku Station.

In Wikimapia One is labeled "Aikido Humbo Dojo" while the other is labeled "Aikikai Humbo". My initial feelings tell me its the Aikikai Humbo because its geographically closer to the Wakamatsu-kawada Station.

But yeah - I just need to make sure because the distance between both dojos and train stations is quite far.

So can anyone give me directions? (If say I start from Wakamatsu-kawada Station)

Many thanks!

J
Old 01-03-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
France
Re: Directions to Aikikai Hombu Dojo please!

Hi, I just spotted it for you on google map. Hope it helps.

Enjoy the practice!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Rene, go out the Wakamatsu kawada station through the Kawada guchi exit. Turn left (or west) and walk for five minutes. You will come upon a gas station on your left. Take the first right after the gas station. There will be a sign in kanji saying "Aikikai" at the intersection. Walk along that road for a few hundred feet. Hombu dojo will be on your left.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

This was from 2002, so I don't know if it is still valid: http://www.taketonbo.org/hombu/

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Carl Thompson

Japan

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...light=shinjuku

My suggestion was walking from Shinjuku but it depends which direction you're coming from.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Walter Martindale
Canada

Last time I was at Aikikai Hombu Dojo, I had my e-trex with me.
Go to N85degrees 41' 52.8", E 139 deg, 42'53.6" and look west. you should be looking at the front entrance to the building.
I can't remember the names of the streets (not that I ever knew them). It was about a 20 minute walk from Shinjuku station to our hotel, and about a 20 minute walk from there to Aikikai Hombu. (I thing we were at the "hotel park inn") You should be able to find the above coordinates on Google Earth (or google maps?) and then sort out how to walk there and which subway is closest.
Hope this helps,
Walter
Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Tambreet
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo, Chicago
United_States

Whatever you do, don't take a cab. The taxi drivers in Tokyo are the worst.

If you're headed there for morning class, it's relatively easy to find, as you just need to get in the general area and then you can follow someone else with a dogi bag.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

The directions will depend on whether you are riding the train or riding the subway. If my memory is correct, the directions that Raul gave you is if you are riding the subway {Wakamatsu Kawada station}. I would ride the subway so that you get to know how to get back home for if you are like me, you will be too tired to walk the 20 minutes to Shinjuku train station vs. the 5 minute walk to Wakamastu Kawada subway station.
As a further tip, take note of the vending machine prices as you walk to the dojo. The prices vary widely. I knew exactly which machine had the cheapest prices for what I wanted to drink after practice.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
France

Quote:
Jordan McClure wrote: View Post
Can't disagree with that!! Never could figure out what was the point of having GPS in their cab if they were not using it even when totally lost.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Jordan McClure wrote: View Post
It helps with Tokyo cabbies to know which train station your destination is near. Otherwise the streets/addresses system is a horrendous spaghetti mess. If you're brand spanking new in Tokyo and don't know where you're going, one way to navigate is by approximations. If you know which train station to go to, you can usually sort out by the rail maps where to go. or ask someone. Once on the street, find a cop, and ask (preferably by showing them a piece of paper with the address written in Japanese) - they'll say something and point in a direction - whether or not you understand, go in that direction and ask someone else. If you understand numbers and the word "machi" (matchi?) or streets, you might pick up "go matchi" or "roku matchi" in the direction they're pointing - 5 or 6 streets that way - and when you get 5 or 6 streets down that direction, ask someone else.
Worked for me... Asked a cop "where's this", he pointed and babbled - I understood the point, and "5 streets", walked to the 5th street corner in that direction, asked a person walking by "excuse me, where's this" showing the bit of paper with the address. He read it, looked around, and said - it's this house here, and called to the folks inside (parents of a friend with whom I practiced judo in Vancouver)
Cheers,
Walter
Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
Rene, go out the Wakamatsu kawada station through the Kawada guchi exit. Turn left (or west) and walk for five minutes. You will come upon a gas station on your left. Take the first right after the gas station. There will be a sign in kanji saying "Aikikai" at the intersection. Walk along that road for a few hundred feet. Hombu dojo will be on your left.
Rene, Raul's explanation is clear and easy to follow. A few tips: the subway line is called Toei Oedo Sen (Line). When you get off at Wakamatsu Kawada station there are TWO exits. If you go out the other exit you will have to turn RIGHT. The direction toward Hombu is slightly downhill when leaving the station. This is always a help when you are directionally challenged like I am! I recommend making a dry run from your hotel to Hombu Dojo once, especially if you are planning on trying to get to the morning class. It is not good form to come late to class, and it's also not fun getting there too early either. It helps to actually make the trip to estimate travel time, without having to stress out about not getting there in time. Also: remember to go in through the door that leads in to the men's changing room-straight ahead when you go up the stairs. The curtained entrance on the right hand side is for the Sensei (and female practitioners, so they don't go through the changing room!)
Good luck!
In aiki,
Ethan