Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-02-2002, 10:07 AM   #51
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I feel that someone else's rank is someone else's problem. I've enough to worry about just trying to get through the day. It's Sensei's responsibility to assess ranks and all that rot, not mine...thank goodness!

HOWEVER: I could see it becoming a problem if someone came in, claiming a certain rank and then hurt someone cuz they didn't know what they were doing...this would be a most unfortunate situation, and again would be Sensei's responsibility
Old 10-02-2002, 04:24 PM   #52
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
I have had many students come to my dojo with various ranks gained elsewhere. I respect that they have attained these ranks and I welcome them wearing their belts in class.

Training is done (normally) with anyone, reguardless of rank, at their level. When it comes to practicing the techniques required for testing, they practice those for promotion from white belt to yellow belt (7th Kyu). On their first exam they wear a white belt and then wear their attained belt in our school there-after. Basically, they are tret as would be a visitor until their first exam. Most put on a white belt shortly after joining though.

I have had karate students come on the mat and wear their belts - coloured belts and black belts - and I have never had a problem with that, as long as the class is aware of who they are training with.

As far as Aikido black belts are concerned, if they are deserving of the standard of our school, then they remain wearing their black belt until they have passed all the gradings up to shodan. Personally I don't believe they should wear hakama, as I think it is vital to see students feet and legs.

My late Master told me 2 things relevant to this thread:

"The belt is there to hold you trousers up!"

&

"Show your true colour!"

Osu!