Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-02-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
My first Seminar -advice-

Hello everyone. There is a seminar coming up in Iowa City (about an hour from where I am) with Yamada Shihan that I would love to attend. I have a few questions for anyone who's been to a seminar, or one of his in particular.

I am a member of the ASU, and I was wondering if the way that we do things is significantly different from his branch. The instructor from the I.C. Dojo has been down to our Dojo to host a couple of classes, and he is a great teacher. He tends to do things a bit more "hard" style than us, but nothing that's bad or really all that different; I quite like the variety and different perspective that he shows us.

I also have a couple of questions about seminars in general. First off, I was wondering if a Shihan generally picks just anyone to take Ukemi for him, because I don't think I could handle it quite yet. I don't have a problem in class, but I've only worked on breakfalls once so far and then only straight front falls. I know from videos that nearly every technique a Shihan does ends in a breakfall, so I don't want to be in a position that I would have to politely refuse to take Ukemi for fear of making him look bad (if I break my arm or something.) I don't know that this is a big concern for me, just something that occurred to me. Another thing, should I get a hotel even though I'm only an hour away or should I try to drive home? I ask because I've heard a lot about how tiring these seminars can be, and because I was hoping that there would be some sort of beer-waza afterwards, so I don't know that I want to drive home... is this even a common thing, or was exhaustion a big issue for you?

Okay, thanks for reading, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 04-02-2003, 07:50 AM   #2
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Hi Jeff,

look for me at the seminar, as I plan on going there too!

As to Yamada Sensei; he is a wonderful teacher and sometimes really emphasises the basics over the course of a seminar. He is warm and inviting, and I am sure you will enjoy the seminar (I go to as many of his seminars that I can drive to each year). Don't worry about taking ukemi, as the only time a newer person is likely to get used for ukemi if he (or really most teachers) is demonstrating something for a small group or person, and you get called on with the rest of the group. He will also take care of a beginner, so no need to worry.

Look forward to seeing you on the mat (look for me, short woman, a bit round, with short hair and a big smile).

Rachel
Old 04-02-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
Jeff Tibbetts
United_States
Thanks for the advice. I've read a lot of your posts, so that will be fun to meet you! I'll prob'ly be nervous the whole time, but hopefully there will be time for everyone to talk. Any other people on this board coming? I should mention that this is the seminar at the end of May. I'll try to see if it's on the web yet.

wait
Old 04-02-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
Jeff Tibbetts
United_States
There we go. Here's a link to the seminar info.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~aikido/updates.html

wait
Old 04-02-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
rachmass
Hi again Jeff,

I didn't read your post through thoroughly the first time, and noticed you ask about staying instead of driving home. One of the really cool things about seminars (for me), is the chance to meet and hang out with great folks, and thus expand my aikido horizons. I almost always stay with someone from the dojo that is hosting the seminar, because it is such a great way to get to know people (and of course, I reciprocate alot on that end too). Usually there is a party on Saturday night when theres a seminar, but you would be best advised to contact the host of the seminar to see if there are plans for any general party or not.

As to the comment about the Shihan always doing breakfalls; not so! There are so many techniques that don't require breakfalls, and the breadth of the knowledge of these teachers is so great, that you can go an entire seminar without breakfalls. Chiba Sensei rarely teaches classes involving breakfalls, whereas Kanai Sensei often has lots of highfalls, and Yamada Sensei seems to be in between. Don't be too nervous, it should be lots of fun.

Seminar is May 31-June 1.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States
The great folks in Iowa City put on the best pot luck in all of Aikido. With any luck you'll find out.

Enjoy,

Mel
Old 05-02-2003, 08:57 AM   #7
SmilingNage
United_States
You will love Yamada sensei. I wouldnt worry about being called up for ukemi. Usually one of his "guys" will be there or a dan ranked uke will be chosen. But he does stop class alot to give out pointers, so you may get lucky and get the honor of taking some brief ukemi for him if he stops at your practice.

For seminars, make sure you bring more than one Gi. There is nothing worse that coming back from a lunch break to a wet Gi. Also bring some extra underware. Sweaty underwear is no fun for the drive home. Bring a towel and soap if there are showers. Bring a towel anyway to wipe sweat off with.

If you are injured, make sure to tape your injury and point out the injury to your partners. No point in paying for a seminar, then get hurt and have to watch from the sidelines.

Grab as many Dan ranked students as you can to practice with. Yamda sensei changes partners after every technique. So its a good opportunity to work with the Dans.

For my own practice, I would to try to train at the front of the dojo/seminar, so Yamada sensei would see me. If he comes over to correct you, thats a good thing. You getting your moneys worth and a small private lesson from a one of a kind Sensei.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:15 AM   #8
rachmass
Hey Jeff,

Are you still going to the seminar in Iowa? We are heading off tomorrow morning (7+ hour drive!) and will be there for Friday's class. Look for me (short, stout woman with short hair-40's), and for Shawn (you can't miss her!), we'll be there with bells on.

Rachel
Old 05-29-2003, 02:03 PM   #9
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States
Rachel, have fun in Iowa City. It's not in my budget, or I would be going too. We just hosted our first seminar and it was a smashing success. Pics are on our web page.

Mel

University of Louisville Aikido Club

http://aikido.nowright.com
Old 05-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #10
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States
Ack. I'd be there too, but my band is playing in Madison on the 31st. As far as the Iowa City people are concerned, I've only heard good things about them from people I've trained with. I'm sure it will be a good time.

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #11
rachmass
Hey Mel,

Sorry I'll miss you. I'll look up your photos after class! Zach, hope to see you on the mat some time, sorry you can't make the seminar either.

Jeff, haven't heard from you, are you still going?
Old 05-30-2003, 07:47 AM   #12
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
Rachel Massey (rachmass) wrote:
<snip> Shawn (you can't miss her!), we'll be there with bells on.
Shawn Dansby from Aikido of Cinci, by any chance?

If so, all I can say is "Wow". Very good technique, great ukemi.

We were both at Hendricks Sensei's Seminar at Yellow Springs in Feb 2002 (I think).

Unfortunately, by the time I worked my way through the crowd to train with her, she had injured her neck.

I was seriously bummed. It would have been nice to train with a fellow ukemi artist.

BTW, she's good looking too.

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-30-2003, 08:12 AM   #13
rachmass
Hi Greg,

Shawn here! Yes, Dansby alright, and she's standing over my shoulder laughing right now, and thanks for the compliment. Should have asked her to train anyway, injured or not she would have gotten on the mat.

Look forward to training with you, but sorry you won't be in Iowa. We are off in a few minutes time.

She's blushing about the good looking part....
Old 05-30-2003, 08:29 AM   #14
Greg Jennings
United_States
Hope you have a great time.

I was the tall, buzz cut goombah on the other side of the mat getting frisky with Mike Sensei's uchideshi. Great fun, that.

If Hendricks Sensei comes back to YSA again, I'll be there.

BTW, I actually asked and Shawn waved me off. Can I get a verbal raincheck?

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-30-2003, 08:39 AM   #15
rachmass
Shawn speaking: gee I must have really been in pain then. Consider this your official "rain check verbal" reply. Look forward to seeing you at the next seminar, no wave offs!
Old 05-30-2003, 08:42 AM   #16
Greg Jennings
United_States
Thank you so much. I'll coordinate as the time approaches.

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-30-2003, 09:41 AM   #17
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States
There are pictures

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
We were both at Hendricks Sensei's Seminar at Yellow Springs in Feb 2002 (I think).
Have you seen the photos ? This is the group photo.

I was there too. Good times.

--Chuck
Old 05-30-2003, 10:23 AM   #18
Greg Jennings
United_States
No, I'd not seen them. Thank you very much.

I'm front row, far left (from prespective of photo-ees). With my eyes closed as usual.

This http://www.ysaohio.com/images/Pat%20...2/Dsc01436.jpg is me. See? It says so on my right cheek.

Best,

Last edited by Greg Jennings : 05-30-2003 at 10:34 AM.

Greg Jennings
Old 06-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #19
rachmass
Smile back from Iowa

Hi All,

Just got back (late last night, 8 hour drive!!) from Iowa, and wanted to say that the seminar was terrific! I met Jeff but didn't get to train with him. Shawn did and said he was really nice. It was great to meet another aikiweb denizen again, and look forward to more chances in the future. Anyone else who lurks here that was there?

Charlie McGinnis Sensei taught several very animated classes, one which made my quads scream. Yamada Sensei was as always, totally inspiring.

best,

Rachel