Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
Jeff Stallard
Dojo: Circle of Harmony / Columbus, Ohio
United_States
Seminars and Heart Conditions: Help!

I'm faced with a hard choice. My sensei is going to visit his sensei (Soke Burdine) pretty soon, and I really want to go, but...from everything I've heard about seminars (never been to one), they're pretty formal, very strenuous, and they last a long time. I have a heart condition; it has never affected me ever, and I've been pretty active my whole life, BUT...the thing I've been told to avoid is a situation where I might have a symptom but ignore it because of social of competitive pressures. If I have a problem in my own dojo, I can just stop training and there's no problem, but it seems like seminars aren't that way. Am I going to tell Soke, "No, I'm going to take a break now." Yes, of course I could, but I don't want to embarass my sensei and have everyone think his student is a wuss, nor do I want to disrupt the class because of MY problem. I also want to avoid a situation where I'm pushing myself past my limit, and that seems very easy to do in a seminar setting.

So I'm asking for your opinions. The easy answer is to just not go, and I'm perfectly willing to do that, but I want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly before I make that decision. Could I go and just observe?

Last edited by Jeff Stallard : 08-21-2004 at 07:46 AM.

"If I told you, you would not know; you simply would have been told. Study it thoroughly and I will ask you. You will answer and then you will know."
Old 08-21-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Seminars and Heart Conditions: Help!

If you have a heart condition, the instructors at the seminar must be told. If they are reasonable people, they will certainly permit you to train, and ask you to take a break when you need to for your own health and safety. Nobody wants a student to become unwell on their mat!

Go to the seminar and enjoy it - at your own pace :-)

Ruth
Old 08-29-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

You need to make the chief instructor aware of your condition. Consider it a part of ukemi (protecting yourself). I cannot imagine anyone having a problem with you taking a break when necessary. Protocol would be that you tell your sensei and he will make, in this case, his sensei aware of your condition prior to you making the trip. Upon arriving make it a point to meet the cheif instructor and explain your condition again to be on the safe side. IMHO there shouldn't be any worries.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 08-30-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
stoker
Dojo: Dallas Judo & Jiu Jitsu
Freaky! Re: Seminars and Heart Conditions: Help!

You must inform the folks in charge. Imagine if you happen to croak just at the moment the sensei sneezes, waves his hand or tells a joke. They will never recover thier sente after that

Seriously, you need to let them know. That way if something does go wrong, they will be one step ahead in getting YOU help.

The first sign of heart disease for many people is SUDDEN DEATH.

dave stokes
Old 09-06-2004, 06:01 AM   #5
Jeff Stallard
Dojo: Circle of Harmony / Columbus, Ohio
United_States

Oh yes, of course. Telling the instructors goes without saying. The main problem isn't so much the level of exertion, but being in a situation where, should I have a symptom, I would be more inclined to ignore it...like if Soke asks me to be his uke. I think what I'm going to do is go and train for a few hours, then sit out and take pictures.

"If I told you, you would not know; you simply would have been told. Study it thoroughly and I will ask you. You will answer and then you will know."