Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-10-2024, 01:57 PM   #1
genego
United_States
Is Aikiweb still relevant?

It's June 2024, a quick look at the forums show that only three have had new posts this year. The forum Voices of the Experienced has been idle for six years. While there is a great deal of information on this site, it seems that it's not inspiring active participation. I am interested in your thoughts?
Old 06-17-2024, 06:09 PM   #2
shizentai
United_States
Re: Is Aikiweb still relevant?

Quote:
Benny Goolsby wrote: View Post
It's June 2024, a quick look at the forums show that only three have had new posts this year. The forum Voices of the Experienced has been idle for six years. While there is a great deal of information on this site, it seems that it's not inspiring active participation. I am interested in your thoughts?
Forums die because the system is dying.

Aikido's grown stale by its refusal to evolve. And I don't necessarily mean introducing full-on sparring.

I've trained in a modernized Aikido dojo and it was a breath of fresh air just because of their integration of some Judo techniques into Aikido cirriculum and more spontaneous versions of jiyu-waza. No sparring - but drills which nonetheless teach how to flow spontaneously with random attacks.

But most dojos are traditional, students are discouraged from experimenting after class, stagnation is rampant, there's nothing new or interesting left.

People never bother to examine the purpose of Aikido techniques or the framework within which they work best, or the holes that can be filled by some other techniques, or modifications/enhancements - there's just no interest in anything.

Aikido's become a religious cult.

1.5 years ago I attempted to train at another traditional dojo, into which I walked in wearing a white belt. A large-build brown belt was teaching us how to "feel" nikkyo. As usual, the exercise was arranged so that his authority as the substitute teacher was never to be questioned.

A white belt attempted to do nikkyo on him, he of course blocked it with his massive frame, and white belt failed. The brown belt started lecturing him about "feeling energy of love".

Then it was my turn. I know that nikkyo can be done by extending the uke "as if about to do waki gatame / rokkyo", and then folding their arm back into nikkyo. Using not muscle, but my own body weight. I did just that, removing slack from his arm and then folding back. As the brown belt started going to his knees, he said "NO NO, you're not doing it right! You're using FORCE! You have to feeeeel the eeeenerggyyyy"...

... and that sums up my opinion as to why Aikido is dying, really. And Aikido forums are dying with it.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:38 PM   #3
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Aleksey Nikolaevich wrote: View Post
Forums die because the system is dying...Aikido is dying, really. And Aikido forums are dying with it.
I just sat in on a class at my dojo. I haven't been able to train in person because of Long Covid, but the JKD school I go to was closed so I went. There were two new people in the class.

I'm also addicted to a YouTube channel out of Japan. The sensei videos his demonstration, then walks the class recording everyone practicing. I don't speak Japanese, but you see all the personality types. It does feel like I'm in a class.

In both instances, I've seen when new people joined. "Dying" arts don't attract new people.

I would look at other reasons why Aikiweb's activity is down before making a broader pronouncement about Aikido.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
Old 06-20-2024, 04:16 AM   #4
Setok
Dojo: Ryushinkan / Rajamäki | Sasuga Daito Ryu / Helsinki
Finland

I think there's also an element of 'everything has already been said'. When considering something about aikido, I might do some Internet searching and frequently there's a relevant old thread on Aikiweb. Which is great, btw.

Or, in the case of aiki, a lot has been typed, without anything said.
Old 06-20-2024, 06:47 AM   #5
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Kristoffer Lawson wrote: View Post
I think there's also an element of 'everything has already been said'. When considering something about aikido, I might do some Internet searching and frequently there's a relevant old thread on Aikiweb. Which is great, btw.

Or, in the case of aiki, a lot has been typed, without anything said.
It would also be a good idea to look at the general relevance of internet forums like this one. Has forum usage generally declined as the social media landscape has changed? Or is it just here?

That being said, I should point out that we are discussing Aikiweb's relevance...on Aikiweb. So, we don't think it's irrelevant yet.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
Old 06-20-2024, 06:24 PM   #6
Jim Myers
Dojo: Makoto Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
It would also be a good idea to look at the general relevance of internet forums like this one. Has forum usage generally declined as the social media landscape has changed? Or is it just here?

That being said, I should point out that we are discussing Aikiweb's relevance...on Aikiweb. So, we don't think it's irrelevant yet.
I agree. I think forums in general have declined because of all of the other social media options. I go to FB 2-3 times per week while I only check in here occasionally and rarely post.

But there is much on Aikiweb that is of value other than the forum. The dojo search is great but dojos need to make sure their information is kept up to date.
Old 06-21-2024, 06:21 AM   #7
kumachan
United_States

I agree with much of what has already been posted on the topic, particularly the "It's been discussed already" post. I also think that the evolution of social media (FB, Insta, Tik Tok) has slowed down the amount of activity on AikiWeb. IMO, reviewing a web forum like this requires time and attention and can't really satisfy the "ADD" immediacy cravings which those newer platforms cater to. Then there is the whole shift to combat sports, like MMA, which has brought many people to believe that Aikido is worthless as a martial art.

For a few years, I've viewed AikiWeb as more of a research/reference source/archive rather than an active discussion forum. It was awesome in its heyday, though! Aikido Today Magazine and Aikido News/Journal were still published magazines when I first joined this site (late-90's) and it was a wonderful way to discuss the articles published in those mags with folks from all over the world! And I believe that the IS/IP debates opened up cans of worms which still need to be fleshed out further in this martial art.

Last edited by kumachan : 06-21-2024 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:52 AM   #8
Thomas Christaller
Dojo: Zentrum fuer Bewegung & Lebenskunst/Bonn
Germany

Quote:
Gene McGloin wrote: View Post
I agree with much of what has already been posted on the topic, particularly the "It's been discussed already" post. I also think that the evolution of social media (FB, Insta, Tik Tok) has slowed down the amount of activity on AikiWeb. IMO, reviewing a web forum like this requires time and attention and can't really satisfy the "ADD" immediacy cravings which those newer platforms cater to. Then there is the whole shift to combat sports, like MMA, which has brought many people to believe that Aikido is worthless as a martial art.

For a few years, I've viewed AikiWeb as more of a research/reference source/archive rather than an active discussion forum. It was awesome in its heyday, though! Aikido Today Magazine and Aikido News/Journal were still published magazines when I first joined this site (late-90's) and it was a wonderful way to discuss the articles published in those mags with folks from all over the world! And I believe that the IS/IP debates opened up cans of worms which still need to be fleshed out further in this martial art.
This is also my view beside that the fact that I rarely posted a contribution. Wouldn't it an idea to take some threads and make a publication out of them? Where the contributions can be cited but put into a more fluid text to read.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:12 AM   #9
shizentai
United_States

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
In both instances, I've seen when new people joined. "Dying" arts don't attract new people.

I would look at other reasons why Aikiweb's activity is down before making a broader pronouncement about Aikido.
Dying arts do attract new people. They just attract them at an insufficient rate. The decline of attendance and dying of the dojos is obviously observable, is it not? Aikido in year 2000 was actually a thriving practice attracting young students. Now the classes are usually filled with the middle-aged students and older.

As for the other argument being floated around here - it's not just about Aikiweb being an antiquated form of Internet forums. There are gaming forums out there which are outdated, running vBulletin and other "old" systems, which have multiple posts on multiple subforums every day. It's not about the technology.

Reddit is not antiquated technology. If you look at Reddit /r/Aikido you will see that it's pretty much a cemetery. This does not extend to Reddits of martial arts which are actually popular.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:00 AM   #10
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Well, people are still here chatting. I pop in from time to time too. And here I am! And, during and after Covid, the number of people viewing my online book via this site have surged.