Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
big old smiler
Dojo: dynamic aikido noquet
United Kingdom
What would you have said??????

Hello all,

Here's one for you to think about. I had just finished teaching a class when a student walked up to me and said "considering the way that I am training, when do you think that I will get my black belt".

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??????

Old 03-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
David Humm
United Kingdom
Re: What would you have said??????

Answer the question honestly
Old 03-27-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Aristeia
New Zealand

What David said. I might also have something of a conversation about why he wants to know. Is he keen to figure our when he'll reach a level of competance that is found at shodan, or is the belt itself important, in which case it's worth having a chat on the myth of the black belt.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 03-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
jfenske
Dojo: RMA
United_States

Tell he or she that they could go buy one tomorrow, if they want it that bad
Old 03-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
TheWonderKid
Dojo: Memorial University Aikido Club
Canada

A while after I started, I told my Sensei I aimed to reach Shodan in 3 years, and perhaps start my own dojo if I moved and couldn't find one nearby.

Now I take a page from my Kung Fu instructor's book, a belt's just good for holding up your pants.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

"They say it normally takes between X and Y years. And once you get it, the real learning begins."

X and Y depend on your federation/org/dojo. I really love watching the deflated look most get when they hear the second statement. Priceless.

If they push (which I have seen) for an exact amount of time, pick Y.

There is a nidan I know who has not tested for many, many years. It is a widely help opinion that his skill is in fact more in line with the rank of godan or above. I like that story too.

Best of luck.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Hand them the curriculum.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I agree that you should tell the student honestly how long you think. Then tell that student that old story (I don't remember the exact numbers here, but it was something like...) A student asks the teacher how long to get a black belt and the teacher says 7 years. The student asks, what if I train fanatically day and night, and the teacher says, well then it will take 14 years...

Rob
Old 03-28-2005, 05:50 AM   #9
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I agree that you should tell the student honestly how long you think. Then tell that student that old story (I don't remember the exact numbers here, but it was something like...) A student asks the teacher how long to get a black belt and the teacher says 7 years. The student asks, what if I train fanatically day and night, and the teacher says, well then it will take 14 years...

Rob
Hehe, I love that story.

I'd ask them why they were going to all the bother and effort of training so hard for so many years just to get a black belt costing about £3.95 and ask them if this was not something of a waste of time and effort.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
crbateman

Although the question deserves an answer, nobody ever remembers when you give them a correct answer, only when you give them a WRONG one. It's not a good thing when a student who has only trained once a month for the last two years comes to you and says "But you TOLD me it would only take 4 years!".

When I am asked such a question, I usually give a "fuzzy" answer, such as 4-6 years, but then I qualify that by saying that each student is different, and it could be more or less than that, based on their continued commitment, ability to train hard and often, attitude, philosophical growth, and continued health and physical abilities. This is as honest an answer as I can think of.

Then I explain that the belt is the wrong reason to train, and that he will probably come to know that for himself before he attains that goal.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
Hardware

Dojo: Ronin (sort of...)
Canada

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
"They say it normally takes between X and Y years. And once you get it, the real learning begins."

X and Y depend on your federation/org/dojo. I really love watching the deflated look most get when they hear the second statement. Priceless...
A good (late) friend of mine was a 4th dan in karate. He always used to say that the real learning started once you got to shodan.

His association engaged in open sparring and he explained that when you were a confident blue or brown belt, you would spar and "throw" 2 or 3 techniques with aplomb and confidence.

The first practice as a black belt, you would be right back to timidly throwing one technique at a time and waiting to see the results...
Old 03-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #12
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Perhaps the question should be asked "WHICH black belt? First, second, third...eighth?"

When I get preachy (no, really), I usually say:
"If everyone in this room was overnight given the rank of shodan and given a black belt and hakama, the next time we practiced together nothing would have changed. You would still be you with all your strengths and quirks, and I would still be me with all my strenghts and weaknesses. 30 years from now I will (likely) be a yondan, you a sandan. I will have been training for 38 years by then, you 33. The rank changes nothing. It's the day-in and day-out training that allows you to progress."

Now if you will excuse me, I must begin my training for my upcoming shodan test.

Last edited by Nick P. : 03-30-2005 at 07:31 AM.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:52 AM   #13
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States

It's a bit like saying "Mom, when will I be a grown up?" If one practices day in and day out a shodan is more a measure of maturity in appling the mind to the technique, vs raw talant in the martial arts.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

"It depends" - the 2 variables that can affect the answer are: 1. How often do you train and 2. How quickly do you learn. You probably can't really change #2. So work on #1.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #15
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

I heard a sensei reply once "well.. how long do you have?"
Old 04-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #16
mattholmes

I particularly like that one: "how long do you have?"
I think it's important to answer the question behind the question. I don't mean that you have to read the student's mind, but you probably have an idea of why they're asking. If it's just an academic question, you answer one way (maybe, "with your current rate of development, perhaps ___"). If you feel that there could be some insecurity being presented, you might address that as well.
For me, the point is that the student is setting you up well to facilitate some personal development on their part; I encourage you to use it.
Matt
Old 04-03-2005, 07:27 AM   #17
WuMarci
Dojo: Da-An District Dao Guan
Taiwan

If this student is just a beginner, I would have to say in his defense, it's an innocent question that deserves a clear answer. Most people who are inexperienced in martial arts take the black belt to mean the official level of an expert, just like getting to the finish line. So this guy needs to know how much time he needs to put in before he's (what he considers) officially "good". I'm assuming he's a beginner, who hasn't yet experienced the depth of aikido. Nor should he be expected to. Where I practice, the teacher is very clear on this point. He knows people who first start out are just curious, maybe even a bit skeptical. So he gives them a general structure. He explains how many hours are required for each belt test. He also stresses that it's not just about the hours, it's also about the quality of the practice. He does this because most new students feel comfortable with a time line marked by colored belts which clearly deliniate their accomplishments. Then hopefully through more practice, they'll gain a deeper interest and see the depth. If your student is NOT a beginner, and he still hasn't seen for himself the depth of aikido, then he still deserves patience, and his question still reflects his need for structure.

What did you actually say?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #18
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel

As to the story Rob started:
the continueing part was something like this:
So the student says what if I train day and night and weekends and holidays? and the teacher replies: 28 years.
The student looks confused and asks: how come each time I say I will train harder, you say it will take me longer to reach my goal?
The teacher smiles and answers: when you have one eye on the target, you only have one eye to find the path that leads to it.
I think it's a really good story, but I'm not sure if a beginner can truely appritiate it.
Anat
Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #19
darin

Hey at least you haven't had a student who was absent from aikido for several months ask if he could grade because he has been doing his aikido training in his mind.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #20
Ivan Skrchevski
Dojo: Agatsu/Kumanovo
Macedonia

Here's a little advice take of your belt, and give it to him, and just say:
If, you want it so much you can have it right now!
This will work only if he get the point of it.
I had the same situation and it worked.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #21
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

I'd tell them It's the path not the goal
Old 04-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #22
Big Dave
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Connecticut
United_States

There is nothing wrong with this question. I think that in many instances, the student is simply expressing a real interest in Aikido and may even be asking the question to simply know how long it will take to be competent. Some of the sarcastic answers above may serve to turn off a student - why would you want to do that? While I am a beginner in Aikido, I am a veteran teacher of many years and I can tell you that as teachers, the words that we use often have far greater impact on our students that we might imagine. What if the student is really asking, "Do you think I can do it?" I once read on this website that that something like 1 out of 100 actually stick around long enough to get a black belt - probably not a good idea to discourage those who might actually be interested in trying to accomplish this.
I really think that those who have suggested answering the question directly and honestly have the best idea.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:05 AM   #23
Randathamane
United Kingdom

Quote:

Have read this one many times before, although always with slight variations. will see if i can dig it up.

Last edited by Randathamane : 04-29-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:05 AM   #24
Randathamane
United Kingdom

Quote:

A young man approaches a famous swordsman and asks politely...
"master, how long would it take under your tuition to become a great swordsman?"

The master puts down his cup of tea and replies bluntly "7 years, depending on the season"

"7 Years! i don't have that kind of time" the student replies.
"well what if i trained for 14 hours a day?"

"14 hours a day, then it would take 10 years" said the master.
"10 years!!! Hmmm. What if i were to train the mind and body with my every waking moment?" replies the slightly confused student.

the master calmly says "if you were to train on sword for every waking moment it could take you up to 20 years"

"master i am confused.... Each time i promise more effort and time, yet it takes me longer to get what i seek. Why is this?"

The sword master takes a sip of tea and replies-
"because, the longer you look at the path, the less time you take to look at your destination. not to look where you are going will get you lost and confused. Focusing on the destination will allow you to make your way safely and swiftly"

Old 04-29-2005, 04:06 AM   #25
Randathamane
United Kingdom

I think it is a wonderful story and we all have somthing to learn from it. If you look to what you seek and stay true to the path that leads to it you will get it.

In a nutshell that is.....

Last edited by Randathamane : 04-29-2005 at 04:08 AM.