Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-15-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
AikidoDarron

Australia
Ai symbol Greetings From Perth Western Australia

Hello there!
It's good to FINALLY be allowed to post on this site!
I have been studying Aikido for the past 6months, but haven't yet been to training.I'm stuck on which school to attend and have been to a few around my city to check them out.By "studying" I mean I've been devouring evry little piece of information I can on the philosify,history and techniques of Aikido.I'm keen to get started but am stuck on which school to attend.If anyone is from PERTH Western Australia or even if you are reading this your feedback on this question would be great!!!

School 1:Sensei graded by a Ueshiba (Not sure who) training availible 3-4 times a week but seems to focus a little more on Aiki JuJutsu rather than straight Aikido.Kendo training is included in the class and the Sensei focuses more on street stuff.

School 2:Branch of Aikikai Australia, straight up and down Aikido all the way but training only availible 2 times a week both 1hr sessions.

School 3:Highly regarded as one of the best martial arts schools in the state.The Dojo's training regimen cosists of Aikido Ju Jutsu Sword and Stick training.Etiquette is strict and training is 3-4 times a week.

If anyone could please give me any advice I'd appreciate it!

Thank you
Old 06-15-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Greetings From Perth Western Australia

Quote:
Darron Best wrote: View Post

If anyone could please give me any advice I'd appreciate it!
Sure.

Pick one.
Start training.

Happy to help.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 06-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
akiy

Hi Darron,

Welcome to AikiWeb. Can you please refrain from bolding your entire post in the future? Thank you.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Hi Darron,
Welcome to aikiweb. If you have time issues, pick a dojo that will be flexible to your needs. If you're not in a hurry and if each dojo permits, try each one of them then decide which dojo you think will be the best for your requirements.

Go ahead and start your journey!

Larry

Plus Ki
Old 06-15-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
darin

Hey Darron,

You can find a few aikido dojos in Perth using dojo search on this website. I really can't speak much for other schools/styles other than my own as I haven't been in touch with the local aikido scene for a long time.

Darin
Old 06-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
AikidoDarron

Australia

Hey,
Thanks very much to everyone who posted here.(And I promise i wont post in bold again!)You have helped me a great deal, Especialy Micheal Fooks!Thanks again
Old 06-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
darin

Darron,

Ok, I will try to help you. I know when I started it was a bit confusing deciding which school to join.

Firstly, are you looking for a dojo in a particular area and what kind of training are you after?

I only know of a few dojos.

There's Jan de Jong and Hans de Jong Aikido which are basically a bit of old style Yoseikan combined with a lot of jujitsu. They have dojos all over the place.

Yoshinkan Aikido, I think still in Claremont, run by an excellent instructor called Darren who trained in Japan.

West Coast Aikido Academy in Waneroo. Ross Taylor was one of my instructors when he was under my teacher. He runs a good class but maybe too far for you if you don't live out that way.

John Langley's Institute of Aikido in Scarborough and Subiaco. He has many students.

There's my school which used to be called "Budo Yoseikan" under Yoshiaki Unno Sensei before he died. We are located in Osborne Park. You can check out our website from my profile link.

Katie Noad teaches Tomiki style aikido and Katori Shinto Kenjutsu in Mosman Park.

I think things to consider when choosing a dojo:

1. Location
2. Cost
3. Affiliation/Style (Independent, Aikikai etc)
4. Training times
5. Type of training offered (self defence, MMA, traditional aikido)
6. Type of students (nerds, surfies, bikies, bouncers etc)

As I mentioned in my previous post, do a dojo search on Aikiweb. Also use the yellow pages. If you want more info you can pop into some of the martial arts shops like Ray Hanna's. They have flyers and business cards from various schools.

Best of luck

Darin
Old 06-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Aristeia
New Zealand

The last thing Daron needs is *more* options in my opinion. 3 options have already paralysed him.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
darin

You think he is still stuck frozen at his computer?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
Aristeia
New Zealand

:d

Old 06-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #11
AikidoDarron

Australia

Haha.You guys are funny indeed.The idea that I was somewhat "frozen"or "Paralysed" by three options does make me laugh.Look all I was doing was asking a question of you guys (in general,the people who post on this forum) in request for some insite into this matter as I obviously do not know what to do or where to look when it comes to actually training Aikido.You two guys would've had to start somewhere, I was just asking what you looked for in a dojo.What you considered to be a good dojo ect.Thank you for your help Darrin, as I posted this request days ago I have already started making calls, attending introductory lessons ect.Your help, both of you (however unhelpful some of it was) is appreciated.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

Greeting from the East coast,
There is an article on the aikiweb system that makes some suggestions on choosing a dojo http://www.aikiweb.com/training/witt1.html

For my own part, I wrote the following for our clubs website, part infomercial about our club, but also some thoughts on choosing a school, you might find some of it helpful
http://martialartsinbrisbane.com/bri...tsacademy.html

besh wishes and good luck!