Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 245c22dd
Anonymous User
Question regarding an incident during early aikido

I have a question about an incident that occurred recently at my dojo. I am a very new member of my dojo and the incident occurred during my fourth lesson.

The lessons this week were preparing students for belt exams to be held on the weekend. The dojo was more crowded than I had experienced the three times previously. The sensei went through the waza very quickly, and seemed determined to pack as many waza into each 2-hour session as possible. During my fourth attendance, eight kumi waza were practiced. During one of the waza, I was partnered with one of the exam students, and was thrown very quickly, in crowded conditions, and stepped on. I was then scolded by sensei for letting myself be stepped on.

We had one practice of forward rolling, and I did inform sensei that I had never done a martial arts roll before. That was it, my one practice, from a kneeling start. About few waza later, we were then to be thrown in a waza that required us to run at the nage, be thrown, and roll from a run. You guessed it, I did not catch myself correctly, but was unaware at the time that I had done myself any injury. Another newbie (this was his first lesson) landed badly on his knee and twisted it, in the same waza.

I went home with a torn scalp from having my hair stepped on, and later learned that I had sprained my neck. While I can accept my torn scalp as a hazard of martial arts practice, I don't feel at all good about my sprained neck.

I don't have any previous martial arts experience, nor anywhere else to go, as this is the only dojo of its kind in my location. I have friends who are sensei in other martial arts disciplines; they are very concerned that I was put into a class intended to prepare more experienced students for belt exams. Hence my question: Is that normal practice in any style of aikido, to have rank newbies participate in exam-prep classes? I feel very apprehensive of returning to the dojo, also very apprehensive of getting scolded again for something that I'm really not sure should be my fault.

Help please?
"Selkie"
Old 02-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Question regarding an incident during early aikido

Quote:
() wrote:
Is that normal practice in any style of aikido, to have rank newbies participate in exam-prep classes? I feel very apprehensive of returning to the dojo, also very apprehensive of getting scolded again for something that I'm really not sure should be my fault.
We tend not to extend our newbies too far ahead of themselves. We want to take care of them so they want to return and they remain unharmed.

We don't have special exam-prep classes so unsure of your context. Accidents do happen when the mats are too crowded.

IMHO, it is your Sensei's and Sempai's responsibility to help you train wisely and safely, as well as your own.

Talk with your Sensei. If it continues, train elsewhere.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-21-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
Erik
Quote:
Hence my question: Is that normal practice in any style of aikido, to have rank newbies participate in exam-prep classes?
It can be done and done safely. The thing is to be conscious that you are working with a beginner and not hammer them like a 10-year veteran. Apparently this dojo decided that since you were on the mat you had to take whatever was given and that was that. So, it's possible the exam prep exacerbated a problem but the real problem is a bunch of careless twits.
Quote:
I feel very apprehensive of returning to the dojo, also very apprehensive of getting scolded again for something that I'm really not sure should be my fault.
Aikido is not a survivor contest where everyone gets thrown in and has to survive whatever comes their way. You learn and grow into the more complex and dangerous stuff regardless of whatever else is going on. This didn't happen and the responsibility, in my opinion, lies with whomever was teaching the class and the school's owner. Assuming your story is what happened this exemplifies carelessness and not owning up to their responsibility.

I might talk to the head instructor but I'd be surprised if there would be any resolution other than leaving and not looking back. I might do other things too depending on my mood over the whole issue.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Every dojo at which I have trained or visited provides training for newcomers on forward rolls--if not formal beginners' classes, at least an experienced student to coach, and plenty of slow practice rolls before starting in with throws. (A good thing, too. It took me five months to learn to forward roll reliably.)

The fact that a class was exam prep should not affect this. If it was going to be taught above your safe level, you should have been asked not to participate.

Personally, I would leave. The risk of injury is too great, and a severe injury could mean no more aikido ever. Better to look elsewhere, even if it takes a while. Most dojo do a better job than what you're describing.

I hope your head and neck recover promptly.

Mary Kaye
Old 02-21-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
Noel
Every place I've ever trained at has been mindful of the (lack of) rolling skill of your typical beginner. This has applied regardless of who was preparing for what exam, and when.

The way I've consistently seen it done, if hard practice is needed, (or perhaps if the newbies are really green and someone wants to do koshinage) is to divide into two groups so the experienced folks can work on the hard version of the technique, and the new guys can learn a "safer" version of the technique.

FWW, my cent-and-a-half,

-Noel
Old 02-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #6
gstevens

Dojo: Aikido Of Berkeley
Wow... I feel compeled to write on this thread...

This is so opposite my experiences in Aikido. I am a rank newbie too, only having four weeks or so under my belt. I have participated in belt test preperation, with people testing for 2nd and 1st kyu. It was fun! I didn't understand their half of the techinique, but they treated me with the utmost care and RESPECT. Every time I go to the Dojo I have fun.

I looked into 5 Dojos before selecting the one that I am currently a member of. In all of them I was invited to train with memebers of the Dojo that were more advanced than I was, in all of them I was treated with Kindness, and respect. I was part of test preperation as a guest at one of them. In no way was I misstreated, always I was shown respect and kindness. Which is what I expect from Aikido.

In two incidents since I have been on the mat, I have made errors because my focus is still on me, and at best connecting to my partner; the rest of the world outside my feet sometimes does not exist. (I am working hard on this, but there is so much new, so much to take in every class, that it is very hard to take in all of the technique, and people doing the technique next to me.) In both cases, I was moved, by the sempies that I was training with before there could have been a "being stepped on" incident. Both times I said thank you, and both times the people I was training with said; "That would have been completely my fault, not yours, you are new, and part of my position in the dojo is to make sure that you do not get hurt."

I can't say enough how much your post vexes me, having the opposite experience here, and loving Aikido. Aikido has already changed the way that I look at and approach the world in the four weeks or so that I have been practicing. It is because the Sempies, and my Sensei are kind, and caring that I am able to learn....

Sensei has stopped me rolling twice to point out that I was doing something incorrectly and could hurt myself. I have seen him do this with a lot of us. He also has told the sempeis not to "Throw" us, but to flow with us, and stop before a roll would be necessary, so that we could then line up concentrate, and practice a roll...Or not.

Something seems wrong here, I wish that there was another dojo close to you so that you would have the opportunity to experience the magic of this art, and not whatever is going on there.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
() wrote:
...nor anywhere else to go, as this is the only dojo of its kind in my location.
Are there other styles of martial arts around? Personally I'd rather train with a good karate instructor than a bad aikido instructor. If it turns out that you can't train there without fearing for your safety, leave don't look back, and don't feel bad about it.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 386810e2
Anonymous User
This is absolutely unacceptable. It is an instructor's responsibility to ensure the safety of those who are studying under him/her. This is especially critical when working with someone new. If this was some fast paced high-level training thing then it should have been made clear to you that that was the case and that you could not practice. If you were allowed to be there then your instructor should have taken measures to make sure that you were not hurt (as should have those with whom you were practicing, although the instructor is primarily culpable). Was this the head instructor leading class, or was it a senior student? If it was a senior student, speak with the head instructor. This was absolutely not your fault. If this was the school's primary instructor then do not go to this school anymore. I am speaking as a long time aikido practioner and one who likes to see others come to the art. I have injured people in class before or had people injured while I was instructing class. On every occasion I felt horrible, and apologized profusely. On most of those occasions I was scolded or once even punched by my instructors when they found out. While I think it possible to chalk this up to inexperience of the instructor, I think it reprehensible that he had the audacity to blame you.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:38 PM   #9
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
The events you describe are simply too dangerous to continue with. IF the senior instructor was present and supervised the class, then run from that dojo quickly. If it was a senior student supervising, it would be worthwhile to speak to the Sensei.

Your safety is the responsibility of your Sensei, your seniors, your partners and yourself. We did a similar class last night to help prepare one of our yudansha for his nidan test. A brand new student started and participated in the class. When it came time for him to take falls, nage would stop and assist him in taking a safe forward roll from a kneeling position. There is no excuse for a situation as you described it! You would be safer learning to disarm bombs or something.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 AM   #10
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
Anonymous poster wrote:
I am a very new member of my dojo and the incident occurred during my fourth lesson. ... I was then scolded by sensei for letting myself be stepped on. ... We had one practice of forward rolling, and I did inform sensei that I had never done a martial arts roll before. ... About few waza later, we were then to be thrown in a waza that required us to run at the nage, be thrown, and roll from a run. ... Another newbie (this was his first lesson) landed badly on his knee and twisted it, in the same waza. ... I went home with a torn scalp from having my hair stepped on, and later learned that I had sprained my neck.
Let me make this as clear as possible. You are in the wrong dojo. I don't know where you practice or who this teacher is, but I sincerely hope that this is not happening in a mainstream Aikikai dojo. If it is, feel free to contact me privately and I will look into it. I suspect that there is much more wrong at this place than you even realize, and you will be well served to get out now before things get worse.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:06 AM   #11
taras
United Kingdom
Anonymous,

Sorry to hear about your injury. Can I ask is it the only incident in the dojo or do they happen often? Do they happen only when you uke for certain students or is it a common thing? Aikido is considered a safe practice but sometimes accidents do happen, no one is perfect (even if they wear a hakama).

Try to speak to your instructor personally, when they have time to listen to your concerns. It may have been that before the tests the instructor was a bit nervous, concerned about other things, too many people on the mats, that for some reason he was not listening when you told him. And while it is not really acceptable, everyone is only a human.

Come on guys, have faith in your fellow Aikidokas! Everyone is learning, including our instructors. If you let your sensei know how you feel, he may learn something from it as well. We all learn and sometimes we may have to pay for this education with a bit of scalp or another injury (been there). And while the practice must be made as safe as possible, accidents are accidents.

Anonymous, I hope this situation will not put you off Aikido. I live in an area with only one dojo and I think understand how you feel.

Hope you recover soon.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
In our school newbies practice with newbies under the direct supervision of a fukushidoin (a 4th dan). Basically he is in charge of getting them trough the basics of ukemi, and only after a reasonable period of time (a couple of months on average), when the practitioner builds up their confidence and shows the desire and skills to safely practice with more advanced students are they admitted to the general practice by our sensei. In no way a student with few days or weeks of practice should be partnered with someone preparing for an exam, specially in a crowded dojo under poor supervision. I find your predicament unacceptable, if you would like to continue the path of Aikido you should try to find a better dojo.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #13
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

Quote:
() wrote:
I was then scolded by sensei for letting myself be stepped on.
That seems so wrong to me.

As a beginner, I spent about 50% of my brain going "where do my feet go?" & the other 50% thinking "ok, it's a roll, please God don't let me die".

As a beginner, you've got enough to worry about just telling your left feet apart. Your sensei should know better than to blame you for something like that. Besides, scolding your beginners is not how you keep them...

If it was all juniors together, he has no one to blame but himself for not paying attention or not having a senior supervise.
Quote:
() wrote:
You guessed it, I did not catch myself correctly, but was unaware at the time that I had done myself any injury. Another newbie (this was his first lesson) landed badly on his knee and twisted it, in the same waza.
Once again, poor supervision by the instructor for not seeing that the students were having obvious dificulty with the techniques being practised.
Quote:
() wrote:
I went home with a torn scalp from having my hair stepped on, and later learned that I had sprained my neck. While I can accept my torn scalp as a hazard of martial arts practice, I don't feel at all good about my sprained neck.
The torn scalp is unfortunate, but will occasionally happen. If you have long hair, there is a small chance that it can be stepped on.

As for the neck, you shouldn't feel good about it.

I'd imagine that most people who have trained in Aikido for more than a couple of years will have had a neck scare or 2 with bad landings, but the whole scenario as you described it sounded like a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:34 PM   #14
Josh Bisker
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, and Renshinkan London
United_States
Quote:
Taras Poltorak (taras) wrote:
Can I ask is it the only incident in the dojo or do they happen often? Do they happen only when you uke for certain students or is it a common thing?

...no one is perfect...

Try to speak to your instructor personally, when they have time to listen to your concerns ... while it is not really acceptable, everyone is only a human.

Come on guys, have faith in your fellow Aikidokas! Everyone is learning, including our instructors.

I hope this situation will not put you off Aikido.
I want to agree with Taras here, not only in the advice given but in the nature of the post itself. I think that the suggestions here urge a moderation in action, an openness and understanding about the path of interaction, and a calmness about the situation; and alongside these qualities still exists the idea of looking out for what's best for you. I agree that while the stuff you described did not sound like an acceptable practice environment, maybe there are productive steps to investigate before bailing completely. Talk to your sensei, or maybe send him an email or a note with your concern written out. I have often found in situations like this that the chance to structure my thoughts on paper was helpful to my goal. I guess it can allow you to make sure you express everything you want to without being confrontational about it. Just a suggesstion though.

It seems like you are already treading very mindfully, and good for you dude, that's what we're all looking to do, i think. So keep on that path of communication and it seems like you'll do just fine.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 7ea0ccaf
Anonymous User
Thank you so much for your replies, everyone. I have tears on my face because you are all so kind and because it is such bad news. I know you are correct; you're only confirming to me something that I had been suspecting I should do -- ask for my money back and leave.

Lynn Seiser: I agree, accidents happen, especially in crowded conditions. That is why I'm not nearly so upset over my trampled hair, though it tore my scalp. That I can file under "normal hazard risk".

Mary Kuhner: Thank you so much for posting. Your post is especially meaningful to me because my dojo is a Ki Society. It is, unfortunately, the only Ki Society in my province and near as I can tell, the only place in the province to teach Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido. I don't know of any other local schools offering any styles of Ki Aikido, which is what I had wanted to learn (in addition to jo. I like jo.)

Guy Stevens: I *had* been having fun -- my first two classes, taught by two different junior sensei, were very enjoyable and paced more slowly, with only one or two waza covered. The last two classes (I've only had four) were taught by the dojo founder, the senior sensei, and were very, very fast-paced, packing six and eight waza respectively. That's why this is so very upsetting to me -- I'd been enjoying it greatly; now I'm afraid to go back.

Anonymous User: You sound exactly like my friend the Tae Kwon-do sensei -- she's just as outraged and for the same reasons. I'll point out that no one was indifferent to the fact that I was hurt; the people who trampled my hair were horrified. Being scolded by the sensei was embarrassing to me, but also made me indignant: Maybe an experienced uke can keep an eye on their surroundings while being marionetted up, down and around in the space of ten seconds, but one of four lessons, I think that's asking a little much. When I left the dojo that night, I was unaware that I had injured my neck badly. My scalp was hurting more than my neck was; I thought my neck was just a little strained. It was the next morning, when I woke up almost unable to move, that I learned it had been sprained.

Michael Hackett: Thank you for making me smile. Perhaps I *should* take up bomb disarmament - I hear there's good money in it

Taras Poltorak: I'm uncertain whether there have been other incidents like mine; as I said, it was only my fourth class. In this case, there were two nage stationed to do the throws, and everyone else was uke, being thrown from a running start - lots of momentum there. I have wondered why I haven't seen any other belt colours between blue and black; I'd thought perhaps the more senior sempai go to the Saturday classes (which I can't attend), but I've since started wondering more deeply :-P

Ignacio Jaramillo: I think your dojo's method sounds very sensible.

Thank you all for your words. This is very crushing to me because I had been having fun, and because this is the only dojo I can find that teaches the ki aikido that I want to learn. I can excuse my torn scalp, and even a sprained wrist or ankle would be aggravating but allowable.. but my neck? I'm forced to agree, I really have to wonder if this is a warning shot for me. I don't *want* to give it up, but you all are right -- the next time could be paralyzing. I don't want to learn ki aikido *that* badly. I guess I'll go ask for a refund, tomorrow.

Thank you again

"Selkie"

Katzedecimal@yahoo.com
Old 02-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #16
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Question regarding an incident during early ai

Quote:
() wrote:
Is that normal practice in any style of aikido, to have rank newbies participate in exam-prep classes? I feel very apprehensive of returning to the dojo, also very apprehensive of getting scolded again for something that I'm really not sure should be my fault.
First off - I do. I don't have beginners classes and every one does everything that everyone else does. The partner is very much aware that the person is a new and demands are adjusted accordingly. The beginner also has a certain responsibility to self to judge what they can and can not do safely.

Scolded for something you didn't do. Well mistakes happen - both yours and others - what's the big deal. Learn from it if you can.

Sorry about the injuries - they happen but, especially with beginners they shouldn't.

The hair being stepped on. How long was your hair? Did you just lay there and wait to get stepped on? Generally, crowded conditions or not, you should be up on your feet pretty quick.

Neck injuries from roles bother me a little more but really - could you have stopped and taken a slower role?

I'm not coming down on you but after four lessons, most of which you enjoyed, I don't really see a reason for angst.

Again adjustments are made for beginners but the class can't revolve around them. Otherwise those that have put in the time and effort will not stay.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-22-2004, 07:41 PM   #17
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
If you do end up changing dojos, and are interested in Ki Society schools, there are some associations that were formerly a part of the Ki Society. You might check here

http://www.shugenkai.com/newschools.htm

or look for a former Ki Society school that has gone 'independant'.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:00 PM   #18
PeterR

Japan
By the way - just for discussions sake since I've had an influx of beginners.

We have a whole rash of warm-up exercises and drills not to mention the dozen or so techniques that are covered each class. Its not so horrendous as it sounds since there is complete repetiotion every class for the exercises and drills and quite a bit for the techniques. The point though is a beginner is often truely overwhelmed.

We provide a lot of verbal encouragement but it is, as far as the dojo is concerned, a useful screening exercise.

Those that stay increase in ability pretty quick, those that leave - well they would probably be a drag on training for everyone else.

If you are truely uncomfortable with the practice (not just frustrated) leaving is probably the best bet fro all concerned.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:41 PM   #19
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Caveat: I'm a one-year novice myself.

I've trained at both Ki Society and non-Ki Society dojo, and there is a lot in common at the early levels--the fundamentals of falling and rolling, the basic attacks, the basic responses, all very recognizable despite the style difference. So even if you know that you eventually want to end up with Ki Society, studying elsewhere will still give you a lot of what you need. It's all Aikido in the end.

(There'd be a certain amount of relearning. There are techniques for which I only know someone else's version, so I try to guess the Ki Society version, sometimes with ludicrous results. Sometimes you can take the direct physical push out and substitute a down-up-down movement--but sometimes you can't! Luckily my teachers have a sense of humor.)

I understand why other posters are urging you to talk with your sensei about this, but I don't know, personally, if such a conversation could be enough to make me feel safe. Three injuries to two newcomers in one class is a *lot*.

On a tangent, a word of advice: tie your hair up if it's physically possible. Mine is fairly long, and the first time I did a back roll on it I swore never to leave it loose again.

Mary Kaye
Old 02-23-2004, 02:07 AM   #20
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: b57f2e7c
Anonymous User
A note from the aforementioned (and retired) TKD person in Selkie's last post:

Mary Kuhner (and to anyone else wondering): Selkie's left out a couple of details which I feel need pointing out. (My apologies beforehand to Selkie if I'm telling too much.)

1) She's not physically strong due to certain reasons I won't get into (that's her business if she wants to divulge them), but she's already quite familiar with some of the ki techniques thanks to other sources; learning new applications for her knowledge was part of what made the other classes so much fun for her. She went to this dojo primarily to learn the jo, but also to improve her physical strength and self-confidence (which comprises a good deal of what most of us take martial arts for, unless I'm wildly mistaken). To be told that she was at fault for getting hurt did not help that confidence any. She's also since developed the impression that the more highly-ranked the person, the lousier a teacher s/he is. I can see how that would occur: some people have forgotten what it's like to be at the bottom of the food chain. That, however, does not make their actions excusable.

Side note to Peter Rehse: The one thing that cannot be assumed is that those beginning aikido -- or any martial art, for that matter -- are already physically fit. While I've no doubt she could have gotten to her feet in short order (barring severe injury, that is), the person who trampled her hair happened to do so immediately after Selkie hit the ground. She had no opportunity to stand up before that happened. I am guessing her hair *was* tied up, since for it to be ripped out violently enough to induce bleeding would mean the other's foot would have stepped on it quite close to the skull, with perhaps another inch or two making the difference between 'hair' and 'forehead'. Also, she did not stop to 'take a slower role' because, quite simply, she's new to martial arts: she trusted to the discretion of the instructors as to what was safe for her to do, since they're supposed to know better when teaching beginners. This 'mistake' could have sent her to the hospital -- or, worse yet, to the morgue. (Then they would have had to deal with me. :P) Just thought I'd clear that up.

2) Several members of the Ki Society she chose are ex-aikikai who had negative experiences at the local aikikai dojo and went in search of something else to try. Based on both their experiences and her own research, Selkie truly does not have anywhere else to train that would give her what she needs. I'd see about doing something for her myself (I'm training in a weapon-centered art right now that includes jo), but we live three hours apart, and a six-hour commute for two-hour lessons just isn't practical.

I've been in and taught enough classes to know that one should never, ever be negligent with the beginners. They have put their well-being in your hands with the trust that you will treat it responsibly. I myself have been the victim of an indifferent teacher: he preferred chatting with his top-ranked student over supervising the class once he'd given us something to practice, and I was nearly paralyzed thanks to his negligence; it took my brother screaming for the guy to notice anything. :P If nothing else, that experience fifteen years ago taught me what should *not* be done with beginners. When I learned of Selkie's experience last week, I was so angry that I was shaking, and furious enough to make the three-hour trip if only to glare at those who allowed it to happen. It should *not* have happened, period.

Bottom line: they knew she had no experience with what they asked her to do, yet they made her do it anyway, then told her her injuries were her fault. To me, that's negligence, and that's absolutely unacceptable -- especially since the dojo's founder was present.

'Tak'
Old 02-23-2004, 02:59 AM   #21
PeterR

Japan
Quote:
() wrote:
Side note to Peter Rehse: The one thing that cannot be assumed is that those beginning aikido -- or any martial art, for that matter -- are already physically fit.

Also, she did not stop to 'take a slower role' because, quite simply, she's new to martial arts: she trusted to the discretion of the instructors as to what was safe for her to do, since they're supposed to know better when teaching beginners. This 'mistake' could have sent her to the hospital -- or, worse yet, to the morgue. (Then they would have had to deal with me. :P) Just thought I'd clear that up.
Hi Tak;

One thing I like about Aikido and Budo in general is that it doesn't make pre-suppositions about fitness level, budo experience, confidence and coordination. Try joining a sports team at your average North American university as opposed to ANY martial arts club and you know what I mean. I watch all my beginners very careful no matter whether they are slight shy women or Dan ranked TKD people (I have them both). All get pushed but according to their ability. I say this just to be clear that I'm not coming from a "its the beginners fault" perspective.

Two comments before I continue.

I come from one of the most physically demanding Aikido dojos in this country which also happens to be a neighborhood dojo. Alongside 40 year old housewives train world class athletes whose bread and butter is full resistance randori. Everyone feels comfortable - and no one demands those that are less physical go the same place as the big boys.

One of my pet hates are dojos that don't train with resistance that consider themselves tough by how hard they slam down compliant uke's. This is garbage. I don't mean that uke must be gently guided to the floor surrounded by mood music but uke must be taken into account. You can train hard without causing injury.

That out of the way - I can only comment on what's written here. Based on what Selkie wrote I just offered a contrary point of view - quite kindly I thought. Every so often we get posters that decry how mean and nasty a particular sensei is - my point is that in Budo training, although allowances should be made, we are responsible for our own training.

If this dojo is dangerous for your friend - she should get out. The one thing worse than a careless teacher is a student that doesn't recognize the danger signs. That has nothing to do with experience in Budo but plain common sense.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:38 AM   #22
G DiPierro
United_States
Tak, thanks for posting, I agree with you that this is kind of thing is not acceptable and that Selkie should look elsewhere.

Selkie, if you are mainly looking to learn jo then an aikido dojo is not the best place to do it. The jo work in aikido is notoriously poor. You mentioned something about "your province," so I assume you are in Canada. If so, you should look into the jodo group in the Canadian Kendo Federation. Kim Taylor, who is also 6-dan in iaido, is building up a solid base of ZNKR jodo there, and every year he hosts a large jodo/iaido seminar in Guelph with several Japanese instructors, often including one or more Shinto Muso-ryu (the most popular jo koryu) menkyo kaiden. If you want to learn jo, this is the way to do it. And if you want to learn aikido, then I would recommend looking around for a safer dojo, even if it is a different style.

Last edited by G DiPierro : 02-23-2004 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:48 AM   #23
fo2sh-nico
Dojo: body masters
Wink anonymous user

hey man , it is the third time for me in the aikido dojo too, and the same thing happened to me, they were preparing for a 5kyu test and sensei was revising the techniques with them, but the good thing is that sensei hesham took special care of me and he taught me all the 5 tech. of the 5kyu just in one lesson , and some of the guys thought that i was very good to be able to learn in one day what they learnt in 2 month, so dont worry man i think that it is all for ur good, it makes u have experience with what a belt exam is........ and guess what : on my 3rd lesson i am learning the same techs that the 5kyu holders are learning
Old 02-23-2004, 02:34 PM   #24
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
() wrote:
Mary Kuhner: Thank you so much for posting. Your post is especially meaningful to me because my dojo is a Ki Society. It is, unfortunately, the only Ki Society in my province and near as I can tell, the only place in the province to teach Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido. I don't know of any other local schools offering any styles of Ki Aikido, which is what I had wanted to learn (in addition to jo. I like jo.)

Thank you all for your words. This is very crushing to me because I had been having fun, and because this is the only dojo I can find that teaches the ki aikido that I want to learn. I can excuse my torn scalp, and even a sprained wrist or ankle would be aggravating but allowable.. but my neck? I'm forced to agree, I really have to wonder if this is a warning shot for me. I don't *want* to give it up, but you all are right -- the next time could be paralyzing. I don't want to learn ki aikido *that* badly. I guess I'll go ask for a refund, tomorrow.

Thank you again

"Selkie"

Katzedecimal@yahoo.com
"Selkie"

I hope I have not come to this thread too late.

I would appreciate it very much if you would email me privately about this matter and provide me with some more details on where this occurred. This sort of behavior as you described it is not acceptable in any Ki Society school that I am personally familiar with nor is it the norm for our organization. Your confidentiality will be respected.

I can assure you that our dojo we take the responsibility for our new students safety seriously.

Your desire to learn ki aikido is appreciated and I can only wish that you were my student so that you could have had a much more positive experience.

It saddens me,

but based on what you have said and if the sensei does not seem to be responsive, I too would have to recommend that you not practice there.

best wishes,

Craig Hocker

Head Instructor

Houston Ki Society
Old 02-23-2004, 02:42 PM   #25
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
oops.

my email address is

craig@houstonkiaikido.org

thanks,