Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-19-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
No rank - no titles : well started now

Hi there,
I have been reading the thread for some time now, so I thought, now you should know, who is the guy writing all the BS.
Born in 1961 i started martial ats with 15 as Karateka. I did parctice Karate for 6 years, ending up with a 2nd Kyu and some ranks in semi-kontact Karate. Nothing special, but I am proud of.

The biggest problem that I faced, was being participant in the German Youth Championship, fighting against one guy, that was just much better - the new champion in the 68 kg class, and another one I couldn't reach, because of his enourmous length. I knew I would loose, but I wanted to loose upright, i.e. at least have a few points. And I tried to get them Anwhere, anyhow. And my punches and kicks became more and more uncontrolled. Iknew someone could have been hurt, but I took this into account, not in a real fight, but in a tournament and just for my ego.
That was the beginning of the end of my Karate career.

In 1988 I saw an advertisement about an Aikido starter class. I just tried and was fascinated.
When I moved to Trier a little bit later, I looked for Aikido and found it in the local police sports club - and they were proud of being the only department without any single police officer as member, as a proof how peaceful it was. I did train there for a couple of years, but without graduation, as in that time graduations in Aikikai Germany could have only be taken by Asai Sensei on seminars, which was too complicated for me. I just liked my "Japanes Dancing Course". I stopped when the training schedule did not match any longer my professional time schedule.
After moving into the Frankfurt (am Main) area (all Germany), I found a dojo that is quite easy to reach from my office in end of 2003.
They just started Aikido as complementary training to Judo and Karate with a Sensei having learned in Uruguay, Washington D.C (Saotome), and Japan.
So our style is quite similar to A.S.U. as I was told. It looks a little bit more martial to me than what I was used to in Asai related dojos, but one reason are those strong Judoka, who tend to be not very co-operative.

At the time being, in spite of about 17 years experience in Aikido I am holding the 4th kyu (out of 6).

That was a preety long essay though.

Cheers

Dirk
Old 07-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
akiy

Re: No rank - no titles : well started now

Hi Dirk,

Nice to have your introduction! Thanks, and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Dirk Hanss

Germany

In the mean time, I did not only got my 3rd kyu but also my 2nd kyu (yesterday). Between these two tests there were 23 month, so I really needed to work on myself - less about learning details of techniques but very much about perceiving my partners' power, direction, ability to react on my action and last but not least developing sensitivity for myself (posture, (non-)intention, etc.

I am far away from satisfatory skills (sometimes I think I could be satisfied, though), but I felt a lot of improvement, and not the least reasons seem to be the two weekend seminars, I could see Ikeda Hiroshi sensei, whom I met in May this year in France and in August in the Netherlands.

A weekend with him is by far not enough, but if you are able to deepen the little ideas you might have soaked in, it can be an enormous step forward.

Cheers

Dirk
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Beleive me, this was very interesting reading.
Losing control in a Karate fight? I know what you mean.
I admire your courage and your perseverance on the often tracheous martial way. Welcome to the Aikiweb, to the fun, and convivial information and support sharing.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Dirk Hanss

Germany
Re: No rank - no titles : UPDATE

Haha

Dear Marie,
guess I confused you, My introduction was about 2 (TWO) years ago, I just wanted to share my new success.

But if it made you read my old post and think about it, I appreciate.

Yes it is hard to realise, how many agrression and violent potential lies in someone beleiving himself a pacifist. But just refraining from martial art is only suppression, not a solution. So I guess with aikido I really found my WAY.

Regards

Dirk