Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Iai Obi - Experiences

OK, I have always used a judo obi but I've never been happy with it when wearing hakama.

I'm considering going to an iai obi. I'm interested in your experience with the iai obi and any other alternative.

TIA

Greg Jennings
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Richard Stevens
United_States
Re: Iai Obi - Experiences

I started training in Iaido at the same time I started an Aiki art so I wear the Iai Obi for both. I've worn a standard belt under my Hakama a few times and I definitely prefer the Iai Obi.

When I wrap the Obi around I crank on it so it's pretty darn tight. When I get the Hakama on and tied everything is much more secure. I typically don't have to do any adjusting for the 3 hours or so I have it on. When I wear the standard belt underneath I have to readjust things a few times.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Greg Jennings
United_States

Thank you, Richard. I appreciate the feedback.

BTW, since the big move, you guys are just a couple of hours down the road. I like it up here most of the year. Don't like the grey, slushy, muddy winters.

Greg Jennings
Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Richard Stevens
United_States

Yeah, the snow is nice for a couple of days and then it's just miserable.

Just an FYI, Nine Circles sells an nifty velcro Obi. Makes getting dressed for training much quicker.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
patf
United_States

Quote:
Richard Stevens wrote: View Post

Just an FYI, Nine Circles sells an nifty velcro Obi. Makes getting dressed for training much quicker.
My iaido teacher was a real traditionalist when it came to the art, so I was very surprised when he revealed his velcro obi. He also recommended sowing two regular aikido belts in parallel as a good option. I ended up buying one at an online store that did the job fine but it was hard to find one that wasn't overly patterned.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
David Maidment
United Nations

Quote:
Unfortunately Nine Circles' Velcro iai obi isn't good if you're skinny like me; the Velcro sections only just meet (might be okay for Aikido, but doesn't hold a sword in place at all).

I prefer the wider iai style obi. I've tried judo obi with a hakama before and they just feel so loose in comparison.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Greg Jennings
United_States

Quote:

Thanks! I'll give it a look.

I don't mind the snow. I hate the slush and mud. Cramps my activities.

Greg Jennings
Old 10-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

A few people in my dojo use iai obis on the days where aikido class is right before or after iaido. I haven't heard any complaints or that it was better. There are plenty of places to by plain white (or black) iai obis online. We get ours from California S&P, but budo aoi has some as well. Aoi has one that is white with black design and a white one with sublte white designs on it as well. There are other places you could try as well (I think Tozando carries them). Best of luck!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.