Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #76
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Is aikido a spiritual practice ?

Quote:
Alex Kelly wrote: View Post
I'm also an atheist and feel the same way.
Why, then, I wonder, did you use His Name?

Quote:
Alex Kelly wrote: View Post
I' [A]m ...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #77
aek
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Why, then, I wonder, did you use His Name?
lol
Old 06-19-2007, 04:40 AM   #78
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Its what you make it.
For me (again Im new, but still) it is a spiritual practice - as its my focus, and Im approaching everything about the art from that aspect.

So, for me I am able to work on relaxing and patience and being present in the moment and taking the 'good' from it I can.
(Instead of limiting myself by the 'cant-do's' that would be so easy to do.)

So for me it is 'spiritual'.

Kind of like the question in the other thread of 'whose the master in aikido' - you are. Its your take on the art and how you adapt it to yourself. Otherwise your the follower (if your not the master)

Peace

Dalen
Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #79
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
Its what you make it.
For me (again Im new, but still) it is a spiritual practice - as its my focus, and Im approaching everything about the art from that aspect.

So, for me I am able to work on relaxing and patience and being present in the moment and taking the 'good' from it I can.

Kind of like the question in the other thread of 'whose the master in aikido' - you are. Its your take on the art and how you adapt it to yourself. Otherwise your the follower (if your not the master)

Peace

Dalen
I recognize the rhetorical nature of my upcoming post. It is meant as a device to express my experience as Uke to the art of Aikido.

What if 'myself' is changd by the art? What if I come 'empty'to practice and adapt my life to a new model as a result of exposure to whole concepts? What if Aikido is and was a better way to live positively and reframe my life view? What if, by letting go of my previous concepts, I could become more of myself and increase my capacities?
This is what Aikido has delivered to me.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #80
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
Its what you make it.

Peace

Dalen
I recognize the rhetorical nature of my upcoming post. It is meant as a device to express my experience as Uke to the art of Aikido.

What if 'myself' is changd by the art? What if I come 'empty' to practice and adapt my life to a new model as a result of exposure to whole concepts? What if Aikido is and was a better way to live positively and reframe my life view? What if, by letting go of my previous concepts, I could become more of myself? Then I am both the master and the follower, yet neither because I am simply being Jen.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #81
Sam Feinson
United_States

The same applies for me in many activities: running, swimming, skiing, hiking, cooking, taking walks through the city, listening to music...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #82
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Sam Feinson wrote: View Post
The same applies for me in many activities: running, swimming, skiing, hiking, cooking, taking walks through the city, listening to music...
Exactly. Threads of universal fabric can weave themselves into our lives in many ways. Awareness of their presence brings us peace and education into their function brings us courage.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #83
paulo gomes
Dojo: yudokan
Greece

aikido gives a spiritual way of life to those who are looking for something like that i've met many aikidokas who are not at all "spiritual" & though are very good in completing the techniques you cant feel the exchange of ki
Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #84
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Paulo Gomes wrote: View Post
aikido gives a spiritual way of life to those who are looking for something like that i've met many aikidokas who are not at all "spiritual" & though are very good in completing the techniques you cant feel the exchange of ki
I've met many spiritual people who would never call themselves that. They simply are themselves, deeply.

I think of 'spirituality' as a simple ladder. You don't yell out "Hey, I'm a 'ladder-stander'." the whole time you're up there. And you generelly don't announce or even notice that it is cool that you are climbing up. You just have a different place to operate from and it is fairly mundane. When you're done for the day you put your feet on the ground where you first started and prepare for your next project. You just get a little more adept at the transition with practice. No bells and whistles....just a little more proficient than when you started.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #85
Erik Calderon

Dojo: Erik Calderon's Martial Arts Program
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
I've met many spiritual people who would never call themselves that. They simply are themselves, deeply.

I think of 'spirituality' as a simple ladder. You don't yell out "Hey, I'm a 'ladder-stander'." the whole time you're up there. And you generelly don't announce or even notice that it is cool that you are climbing up. You just have a different place to operate from and it is fairly mundane. When you're done for the day you put your feet on the ground where you first started and prepare for your next project. You just get a little more adept at the transition with practice. No bells and whistles....just a little more proficient than when you started.
So true......Those that are, the ones that don't call themselves, are a wonderful pleasure to be around.

Erik Calderon
http://www.shinkikan.com