Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #76
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Shodokan, Tomiki, Aikikai?

Hi Chuck,

Does Jiyushinkai have organized competitions? I'd like to check out that one in NY if I'm in the country at the time.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #77
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

James, are you telling us that it's not "real life" where ever you're at when you're typing your messages?

I personally have no desire to have discussions of any kind, in real life, or as you say, on the internet with someone that doesn't back up everything he/she says with their own personal honor, integrity, and responsibility. This is a budo discussion site. Budo begins and ends with respect. I suspect that you've shown us your real heart (in real life...).

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 01-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #78
Chuck Clark

United_States

Larry, Jiyushinkai does not have sport shiai. We have very vigorous and competitive (in the true sense of the word) training but no kyogi activities of any kind. We also have no dojo located in New York. My dojo, the Jiyushinkan, is located in Tempe, Arizona. You're welcome any time to visit and train with us.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 01-26-2006, 11:31 PM   #79
James Smithe

Dojo: undisclosed location
United_States

My real heart? That would only happened on the internet if it was a email or something to a real life friend. However I have noticed that martial arts sites are more personal.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #80
Chuck Clark

United_States

Everyone,

I have just seen James Smith's post in the Techniques forum here... This person is not a member of Jiyushinkai and I am astounded by his attitudes and behavior. It is totally unacceptable to me and our membership.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #81
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Thanks for the info and the offer Chuck. Believe me, if I can ever make it to that side of the country I'll definitely pay you a visit.

Thanks for correcting James' faulty info as well for me. I was pretty sure that your group did not engage in shiai, even though you have your own resistance-based training methods from what I understand at least.

Domo Arigato.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #82
James Smithe

United_States

Chuck Clark you are the head of the Jiyushinkai. So you should not get upset if one of your members or supposed members posts stuff on the internet. Okay I am with the Jiyushinkai or pretending to be. The Jiyushinkai doesn't have competitions so that means that I would have to go to a Shodokan tournament in New York.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #83
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

well since this seems to be the time and place... James, I'll show you mine if you'll show me your's... I am 41 years old and I train or have trained in a variety of MA including; karate, judo, GJJ, Modern Arnis, Kung Fu and wrestling since about 1980... i hold mostly kyu ranks, but have a dan ranking in Aikido... What about you???

Edwin Neal

Old 01-27-2006, 12:35 AM   #84
James Smithe

United_States

19 years old studied Karate when i was 11. It was bull to me so I quit after a month. Just started Aikido I mentioned my crappiness in Aikido earlier in the thread.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #85
Edwin Neal
United_States

so basically you know jack??? Do you train at a dojo or club or just read books and forums? Good instruction is light years ahead of any thing you can garner from a book... I started with Yoshinkan Style when I was stationed in Japan in the navy in about 1988... try to understand that there are many different takes on the practice and philosophy of aikido and even within the same organization there may be various "sub-styles" as some people are more martial, and some more spiritual... as a younger person I suggest you would perhaps be more disposed toward a more physical, robust, "street" oriented practice... save the philosophy for us old timers...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-27-2006, 12:54 AM   #86
James Smithe

United_States

Yeah I don't know much. My teacher at my dojo is more into the martial. The only time I heard him mention Ki was a joke about something. Philosophy? I have to look over my posts to find out what you mean.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #87
Edwin Neal
United_States

well as you have been talking about Tomiki, shodokan, aikikai, judo and such i feel this falls in the philosophical realm... be careful trying to shomen ate a good judoka or you may end up in one of my favorites Kata ha jime... you're basically asking for it from shomen ate... ippon seio nage was what that one lady was saying and thats a good one too... from my perspective judo and aikido are really much the same in principle and a good blending/reconciliation of the two is Very hard to beat... as you train more you will learn that even an old bald guy who doesn't look like much will put your lights out... Never underestimate anyone... or you may get surprised... sorry just a little philosophy...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-27-2006, 01:29 AM   #88
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
well as you have been talking about Tomiki, shodokan, aikikai, judo and such i feel this falls in the philosophical realm... be careful trying to shomen ate a good judoka or you may end up in one of my favorites Kata ha jime... you're basically asking for it from shomen ate... ippon seio nage was what that one lady was saying and thats a good one too... from my perspective judo and aikido are really much the same in principle and a good blending/reconciliation of the two is Very hard to beat... as you train more you will learn that even an old bald guy who doesn't look like much will put your lights out... Never underestimate anyone... or you may get surprised... sorry just a little philosophy...
Hi Edwin;

The first counter we teach as part of the Shodokan syllabus is to Shomen-ate and yup its like you describe. We call it wakegatame however. The only defense against the counter is to make sure your initial kuzushi is complete and penetrating. Of course we have a counter to the counter but I'll keep that a trade secret.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #89
James Smithe

United_States

What I know the counter counter it it's G....... nevermind.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 AM   #90
Edwin Neal
United_States

forget the counter counter you should learn the counter counter counter... ad infinitum... lol

Edwin Neal

Old 01-27-2006, 05:32 AM   #91
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Pwned.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #92
IlyasDexter
Dojo: Unity Aikido
Australia

Quote:
James Smith wrote:
Chuck Clark you are the head of the Jiyushinkai. So you should not get upset if one of your members or supposed members posts stuff on the internet. Okay I am with the Jiyushinkai or pretending to be. The Jiyushinkai doesn't have competitions so that means that I would have to go to a Shodokan tournament in New York.
Sensei Chuck has every right to be upset because of lack of respect. Many others here have also stated their digust at your behaviour and especially for those of us from various schools founded on Tomiki Sensei teachings because whatever differences we have in our practice we all share the deepest respect and love for Tomiki Sensei just ask anyone who actually met him and they will tell you that above all he was a gentlemens gentlemen and you behaviour brings shame to us and our dear Sensei Tomiki.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #93
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
I keep telling you guys that this is the internet I do not act the same way in real life. At least I hope I don't.
There was another poster once who made a big deal about how he was different on the net and in person. My question...why would anyone *choose* to be schizophrenic? He had no choice to be different in person...he couldn't back up what he said on the net in person.

I would never speak to the leader of the style I practice in the manner that you just did. It would probably earn me some really tough ukemi. Deservedly so. I hope you adjust your manner before it comes to that...

Best,
Ron (I'm sorry you have this twit to deal with, Chuck)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #94
Chuck Clark

United_States

HI Ron,

Since James Smith isn't a member of Jiyushinkai and the dojocho in Texas doesn't know him, I really don't have to deal with him except as we all do as members of aikiweb. They come and go; it's the nature of this form of communication.

Best regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 01-27-2006, 09:42 AM   #95
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

So, if attacked with a piece of cake (say a Victoria sponge rather than a rock cake) how would a Jiyushinkai deal with it differently to a shodothug? (I'm assuming the subject of James has been sufficiently dealt with...)
Old 01-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #96
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Understood...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #97
Chuck Clark

United_States

Ian,

I'm a bit thick this morning (seems more than usual...) but I don't understand.

Cheers,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #98
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Chuck,

Just thought I'd try to divert this thread from getting any more about personalities than it already was - sorry for the confusion and the bad monty Python paraphrase

Ian
Old 01-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #99
Chuck Clark

United_States

Ian,

I do get the reference now that you mentioned it... I'm surely a Monty Python fan, just dense this morning.

I do think this is not about "personalities" though. I think it's about behavior. There are places on the www where anything goes. AikiWeb isn't one of them. Jun provides this site and puts in way more time than most any of us would do and he gets to set the rules... and has done so.

Members of Jiyushinkai have a reputation that is well-earned and this young man doesn't meet the standards with this sort of behavior. Part of my job is to keep our house clean, both inside and outside.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 01-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #100
aikidodragon
Dojo: North West Arkansas Aikido
United_States

monty pythan please feel to correct my spelling.
have you seen the self defence skit about the frui. t

:kiAikido is just origami with people.