Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-09-2002, 02:21 AM   #1
Duarh
'left preference'

I've found that i've unintentionally developed this (a preference and increased ability for doing stuff with my right arm/leg/side/whatever as opposed to my left arm/leg/side/whatever). Does anybody have suggestions on taking care of this? I've tried simply doing stuff more on my left side, but somehow, it never leads to much result. And it's getting disconcerting by now - my being able to flip over my right arm makes tori believe i can flip well and then I have to flip fast over my left arm and i do it awkwardly

Last edited by Duarh : 09-09-2002 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:44 AM   #2
fjcsuper

Well I'm a lefty (Left handed and left footed - I play soccer) and I find that it would help if you continue trying to do things with your left side, like I try with my right.

It might take some time though, but one day doing things with your unpreferred hand can actually become like doing stuff with your preferred hand/foot.

Thats how soccer players are able to shoot/pass/cross with their unpreferred foot, with continued training. I have a friend who actually can write with both hands after sometime.

Maybe you can tell your tori to slow down a bit while doing techniques on the left side, coz you might hurt yourself if you don't land properly

Axl Rose : "All it takes is a little patience..." Hope this helps
Old 09-09-2002, 04:55 AM   #3
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Hi. To make our Aikido truly ambidexterous, when we train we always try to do "one left one right". I agree that it's not easy when you start but ultimately it's worth it as you never know when you'll be called on to do a "weak side" technique or breakfall.

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-09-2002, 10:16 AM   #4
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
I'm a lefty also.. I find myself having more trouble with techniques on my right side. We train both sides at our dojo also.. I would think this would be a common practice?

Anyways.. left handed people are in their right minds

diesel
Old 09-09-2002, 10:34 AM   #5
Alfonso
I'm right handed, and have discovered that my weak side in Aikido is my right side. Left side ukemi is smoother for me, and the left side tecnhiques flow better.

go figure. still trying to even things out.

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 09-10-2002, 04:05 AM   #6
Duarh
thx for the input

well, we DO do techniques in a once-left once-right pattern but the trouble is that my right side is more dexterious for me by NATURE and equal amounts of practice let it improve more

i'll keep trying doing stuff more with my left side, 'course
Old 09-10-2002, 07:00 AM   #7
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
If you aren't confused enough, there is practice left side, right side, forwards, and then backwards.

If you have too much trouble learning techniques with four directions, then getting them firmly implanted with one side practice, then mirroring them on the opposite side is the basic left or right side practice.

Eventually, you adjust to all obsticles and your teacher will remind you to stay in hamni for the newer students as my teacher does about once a month.

Sometimes practice with a jo helps in left and right training.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:35 PM   #8
Tharis
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States
Re: 'left preference'

Hi. I'm a lefty who has considerable trouble taking falls off my left side. I was told in track (years ago) that left footed runners always start with their right leg forward so they can push off with their stronger left leg. I suspect there's something similar going on here.

The solution is probably to strengthen/coordinate the weaker side by working on it more.

Hope that helps,

Thomas
Old 10-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #9
sainu

Hello, I'm a lefty (and quite new here too ), and although we train techniques equally on both sides, I still have this big problem with ukemi, especially tobikoshi ukemi. I just cannot do it on my right side! Otherwise I haven't had any problems with right/left sides. The ukemi just bugs me...

I think you should practice on your "bad" side twice as much for at least some time. That's what I would do, and what I will do with my ukemi...

Sainu
Old 10-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
Raziel
Dojo: Inti College Dojo
Malaysia

Toms Kreicbergs you had bring out a very good question to be discussed here. I face the same problem but slightly different than others, I'm right handed but : I can do perfect nikyo on leftside, and my uke always feel nothing If I do it with right hand. Then, I can perform better sankyo with my left hand too, then I need my right hand to perform painful yonkyo. It's quite odd to me since I always think I can perform better technique with my right-sides. Even when I practice with my sand bag, my right leg always kick higher, heavier. I think this happen just due to I'm right handed but it's not the same in Aikido. I think that's why peoples always said Aikido is more on 'ki', and spirit rahter than brute force.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #11
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

i'm right-handed but learned ukemi on my left side first as i immediately dislocated my right shoulder trying to learn ukemi! I was already rolling from a throw on the left while trying to get up the courage to do anything at all on my right. In the next year & 1/2 i considered my left to be my"good side" but have notice that i am actually doing much Better ukemi on my "bad", right side now.
Whatever that means.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 11-30-2004, 11:35 AM   #12
AikiRooster

United_States

Hi folks.
This is an interesting subject. I have discussed this exact topic with a lot of different people. Most agree with me and some here I see, it is wise to work both sides. I read alot of books about the Samurai, in one of them, I recall reading where the Samurai considered the right side the stronger side for all human being regardless of what handed they were. However, they too made a point of it to work both sides as regularly as possible and preferrably the weak side just as much as the strong side.
It is difficult, sometimes, working with certain thing's with your weak side can make look and feel down right retarded. It's fun though and good training, not to mention also, very important training.
God Bless.
Tim!

Some folks are truly alive only because it's against the law to kill them. . .