Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 AM   #1
StefanHultberg
Dojo: Roskilde
Denmark
31 kata kumi jo - move 7&8

Which sort of attack lies behind moves 7 & 8 in the 31 kata kumi jo? I have heard several bids. Any opinions?

When this attack from behind is considered, how should one's movement in move 7 be in order to avoid the attack and deal with the new attacker before turning back to the original one?

All the best

Stefan Hultberg
Old 07-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: 31 kata kumi jo - move 7&8

Hello Stefan,

Well, perhaps the users of AikiWeb are not 31 kumi-jo addicts. Have you compared the moves here with the relevant moves in the kumi-tachi sequence?

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-15-2020, 12:47 AM   #3
StefanHultberg
Denmark

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Stefan,

Well, perhaps the users of AikiWeb are not 31 kumi-jo addicts. Have you compared the moves here with the relevant moves in the kumi-tachi sequence?
Hah, it appears not. Well, bonum est

In relation to your question I have put in all possible attacks with ken and jo and tried different approaches. Pretty simple with “standard” tsuki and uchi, but needs some adjustment in relation to the hasso gaeshi and katate series. I was just interested to hear if anybody had any idea what would be the “formal” attack from uchi no. 2 . I adore the 31-kata, so many possibilities. At the moment me and my buddies are having much interest and variety when playing around with the kumi jo/ken tai jo

Best regards, be well & stay safe

Stefan
Old 07-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
StefanHultberg
Denmark

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
Hah, it appears not. Well, bonum est

In relation to your question I have put in all possible attacks with ken and jo and tried different approaches. Pretty simple with "standard" tsuki and uchi, but needs some adjustment in relation to the hasso gaeshi and katate series. I was just interested to hear if anybody had any idea what would be the "formal" attack from uchi no. 2 . I adore the 31-kata, so many possibilities. At the moment me and my buddies are having much interest and variety when playing around with the kumi jo/ken tai jo

Best regards, be well & stay safe

Stefan
Just had some very interesting input from Ethan Sensei. Seems there are a few things I have not really considered. Will investigate further
Old 07-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
Just had some very interesting input from Ethan Sensei. Seems there are a few things I have not really considered. Will investigate further
Well, Ethan came here and did a 31-kumi-jo seminar recently and it was noted by students that I do it slightly differently. I learned it from a Saito serminar here in Hiroshima quite a few years ago. PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-19-2020, 01:48 AM   #6
StefanHultberg
Denmark

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Well, Ethan came here and did a 31-kumi-jo seminar recently and it was noted by students that I do it slightly differently. I learned it from a Saito serminar here in Hiroshima quite a few years ago. PAG
I can believe it, so many variation - big and small. Fascinating diveristy and potential.

Often have I heard Ethan Sensei saying: "there are many right ways of doing things". Wonderful wisdom!

All the best

Stefan
Old 05-05-2023, 05:59 AM   #7
Leonaiki

Like in the 13, it's only about facing uke again (or uke would need to walk around :/ )
Old 05-16-2023, 06:13 PM   #8
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Ah, I think I understand the question.

The turnaround at 7&8 in the solo kata can be done as part of a partner kata. Indeed, the whole of the 31 can be done as a partner kata. Unlike 13 vs. 13, the uke side is not identical to the nage side.

I'm sure there are many versions of the "partner side" of the 31 kata. The way we do it in the "Kobayashi Dojos" lineage of weapons techniques is the following:

1. Uke slides forward from behind nage, right foot forward, attempting shomenuchikomi with the jo (standard strike) -- #7 of 31
2. Nage pivots and strikes down the incoming jo from the inside of uke's grip
3. Uke lets their jo go around and come back to the centerline, then does tsuki (sliding forward)
4. Nage blocks and then does the gyaku-menuchi strike (or sometimes gyakuyokomen) -- #8
5. Uke blocks back-handed as they step back into jodan kamae

P.S. I tried looking on youtube but got frustrated. Sorry for the terrible text description.