Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
dps

What did O'Sensei's students want from O'Sensei?

What did O'Sensei's students want from him? A spititual message or a martial ability?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Re: What did O'Sensei's students want from O'Sensei?

Student, who?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I'm not sure he separated the two.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
What did O'Sensei's students want from him? A spititual message or a martial ability?

David
I'm sure it varied from student to student. Gozo Shioda, for example, was primarily attracted to the quality of his budo. He was never really into the teachings of the Omoto faith. My impression is that that is the case for many of his students - especially those from the earlier generation.

...rab
Old 07-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello David,

I am not entirely sure why you have started this thread. Stanley Pranin interviewed many of Morihei Ueshiba's uchi-deshi in the Kobukan Dojo and also many of his postwar students. Assuming that you have read these interviews, I wonder what else you might be looking for. Generally speaking, the students were not so precise about what they wanted from him.

Best wishes,

PAG

Quote:

David

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Probably the same thing I want from my Sensei... to be taught... Whatever it is he has to teach me. Each applies the learning to his own life in his own way.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
dps

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello David,

I am not entirely sure why you have started this thread. Stanley Pranin interviewed many of Morihei Ueshiba's uchi-deshi in the Kobukan Dojo and also many of his postwar students. Assuming that you have read these interviews, I wonder what else you might be looking for. Generally speaking, the students were not so precise about what they wanted from him.

Best wishes,

PAG
No I haven't read them but I will look them up.

What were the people who came to learn from him expecting to learn. Since most of them were already accomplished martial artists, what were they wanting from O'Sensei, more martial ability, a better understanding of what they already knew, a religious understanding or did they just want to learn what he had to teach because he was such a well know person.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Shadowfax

United_States

Perhaps all of the above and more. I think like each of us they probably all had their own reasons for wanting to learn.

Why do you ask?

A better question would be what is it that you are looking for from your training?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
lbb
United_States

Quote:
No I haven't read them but I will look them up.

What were the people who came to learn from him expecting to learn. Since most of them were already accomplished martial artists, what were they wanting from O'Sensei, more martial ability, a better understanding of what they already knew, a religious understanding or did they just want to learn what he had to teach because he was such a well know person.
Emphasis mine.

I think Peter's point was...we're not them. So, maybe if you want to know the answer to your questions, you'd do better to consult a reference such as the one he posted, rather than ask us.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
dps

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Emphasis mine.

I think Peter's point was...we're not them. So, maybe if you want to know the answer to your questions, you'd do better to consult a reference such as the one he posted, rather than ask us.
Quote:
Generally speaking, the students were not so precise about what they wanted from him.
So does anyone else have some ideas or other references.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

To be forcefully transformed into something better than they thought they were?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

I think it's a valid question. There's definitely a "physical" and a "spiritual" aspect to the art - it'd be interesting to know what the first gen aiki students sought. I also haven't read any interviews - but if I were to ask the question, I'd start here as well. There seemed to be some aggression towards David about his motives. Perhaps he asked it here because it's largest gathering of people who might be "in the know". Not just new students, but seasoned/experienced practitioners.
As an instructor in Christian martial arts, I also am faced (when new students join), of just what it is that they are seeking - martial arts, spiritual understanding, self awareness, etc.

So here's a follow up question to clarify David's - of those original students of OSensei, who had previous martial experience/rank - how long did they train with him before "moving on"?

Last edited by Shannon Frye : 07-26-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typos

Old 07-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello,

I think you see aggression where none was intended. There was a definite assumption on my part that David had already done some reading before starting the thread. Hence my question: are you looking for information over and above what is readily available, on this and other websites?

I believe there is a difference between asking a question and being aggressive or confrontational. So, in answer to your own question, I pose a similar question to you: have you looked for this information on the web and been unsuccessful? I suggest Aikido Journal as a first stop.

By the way, I am instructor of aikido in Japan and I am hardly ever faced with questions of what the students who come to our dojo are seeking. I assume beforehand that they are seeking to train in the Japanese martial art that I am practicing and teaching. This is usually a good beginning.

Best wishes,

P Goldsbury

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post
I think it's a valid question. There's definitely a "physical" and a "spiritual" aspect to the art - it'd be interesting to know what the first gen aiki students sought. I also haven't read any interviews - but if I were to ask the question, I'd start here as well. There seemed to be some aggression towards David about his motives. Perhaps he asked it here because it's largest gathering of people who might be "in the know". Not just new students, but seasoned/experienced practitioners.
As an instructor in Christian martial arts, I also am faced (when new students join), of just what it is that they are seeking - martial arts, spiritual understanding, self awareness, etc.

So here's a follow up question to clarify David's - of those original students of OSensei, who had previous martial experience/rank - how long did they train with him before "moving on"?

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
Shannon Frye
United_States

Ok - let's set aside the aggression issue (perceived or otherwise).

Why is it that a question is questioned with another question?? Wouldn't an answer have been much simpler? I cannot speak for Davis, but I'll sure speak for myself... I have not researched this question, unless you count THIS forum as a first stop on a journey of knowledge. How do you expect to encourage members to pose questions or topics by telling them I to look somewhere else, and find the answer elsewhere?

By the way, as an Aikido, karate, and iaido instructor in America, I do take the time to make sure that I have something to offer everyone who honors me by being a student of mine. Perhaps this is a cultural thing, an aspect of Christian martial arts, or a benefit of having respectively smaller dojos (My classes are taught out of at 3 churches).

Can we please get away from answering someones question with yet another question? We appreciate your input - please honor us with it.

Respectfully,
Shannon

Quote:
Hello,

I think you see aggression where none was intended. There was a definite assumption on my part that David had already done some reading before starting the thread. Hence my question: are you looking for information over and above what is readily available, on this and other websites?

I believe there is a difference between asking a question and being aggressive or confrontational. So, in answer to your own question, I pose a similar question to you: have you looked for this information on the web and been unsuccessful? I suggest Aikido Journal as a first stop.

By the way, I am instructor of aikido in Japan and I am hardly ever faced with questions of what the students who come to our dojo are seeking. I assume beforehand that they are seeking to train in the Japanese martial art that I am practicing and teaching. This is usually a good beginning.

Best wishes,

P Goldsbury

Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
Carl Thompson

Japan

One teacher who was a direct student of Osensei once told me it seemed to him that in the west, more people are drawn to Aikido because of its philosophy while in Japan people are drawn to it as a martial art first. From that, we could infer that martial skill was the founder's primary draw for many of his students.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
dps

Thank you Shannon.
I did not read any aggression into Professor Goldsbury's question or Mary's clarification.
After his question I did do a search and read some of the interviews on Aikido Journal of O'Sensei's deshi. The ones I read were kind of vague. Not very much difference with a Googled search. So Aikiweb was the next choice.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #17
dps

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
One teacher who was a direct student of Osensei once told me it seemed to him that in the west, more people are drawn to Aikido because of its philosophy while in Japan people are drawn to it as a martial art first. From that, we could infer that martial skill was the founder's primary draw for many of his students.
Thank you Carl.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #18
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Apologies, but now I think you are being aggressive.

Anyway, here's my answer.

There is an excellent book by Stanley Pranin entitled, Aikido Masters: Prewar Students of Morihei Ueshiba. I believe that it is offered as a free gift to anyone who takes out a subscription to Aikido Journal. I am a friend of Stan Pranin and I support his work of disseminating accurate information about aikido and its history. Of course, I have bought the book.

Now I could spend a couple of hours going through this book and supplying the information in answer to your question, but (a) I think it would be unfair to Stan Pranin, who did the original research and (b) I do not have the time to do so at present, since I am busy researching and writing another column for Jun's website here.

While I do not object at all to people asking questions, I cannot accept any assumption that such questions have to be answered, and answered immediately. I do not think there is an automatic right to information, especially if it is readily available.

Best wishes,

P Goldsbury

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post
Ok - let's set aside the aggression issue (perceived or otherwise).

Why is it that a question is questioned with another question?? Wouldn't an answer have been much simpler? I cannot speak for Davis, but I'll sure speak for myself... I have not researched this question, unless you count THIS forum as a first stop on a journey of knowledge. How do you expect to encourage members to pose questions or topics by telling them I to look somewhere else, and find the answer elsewhere?

By the way, as an Aikido, karate, and iaido instructor in America, I do take the time to make sure that I have something to offer everyone who honors me by being a student of mine. Perhaps this is a cultural thing, an aspect of Christian martial arts, or a benefit of having respectively smaller dojos (My classes are taught out of at 3 churches).

Can we please get away from answering someones question with yet another question? We appreciate your input - please honor us with it.

Respectfully,
Shannon

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 07-26-2009 at 10:04 PM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello David,

Have you seen the book I just recommended in the previous post?

PAG

Quote:
Thank you Shannon.
I did not read any aggression into Professor Goldsbury's question or Mary's clarification.
After his question I did do a search and read some of the interviews on Aikido Journal of O'Sensei's deshi. The ones I read were kind of vague. Not very much difference with a Googled search. So Aikiweb was the next choice.

David

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
Shannon Frye
United_States

Peter,
Then I offer a sincere apology.

Shannon

[quote=Peter A Goldsbury;235790]Apologies, but now I think you are being aggressive.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #21
DH
United_States

Were Aikido people to purchase and read Stans three books;
"Aikido Masters-prewar students of Morihei Ueshiba"
"The Great Onisaburo Deguchi"
"Conversations with Daito Ryu masters"

They would come away being enriched by an incredible body of research that can no longer be duplicated- as it contains interview with the people who were there. I will also give you much to think about in how the art was created and where the two pillars of the founding of Aikido; Daito ryu and Omoto tie-together.
It may blow up some peoples assumptions, and "beliefs" reinforce others, but in general aid in having a broader knowledge to bring to the practice they love.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/catalog/?category=2

Check out Jun's interview of Stan here- it might be startling for some- who have believed that O-sensei was a master of multiple Koryu and that was the source of the founding of aikido. In short do your homework and you will be very glad you did. Really. Then come back and talk about it and flesh it out some more.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 07-26-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #22
dps

Quote:
Hello David,

Have you seen the book I just recommended in the previous post?

PAG
No, I haven't but I will purchase it next payday.

Thanks
David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
dps

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Were Aikido people to purchase and read Stans three books;
"Aikido Masters-prewar students of Morihei Ueshiba"
"The Great Onisaburo Deguchi"
"Conversations with Daito Ryu masters"

They would come away being enriched by an incredible body of research that can no longer be duplicated as it contains interview with the people who were there.
It will blow up some peoples assumptions, and "beliefs" reinforce others, and in general aid in having a broader knowledge to bring to the practice they love.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/catalog/?category=2

Check out Jun's interview of Stan here- it might be startling for some- who have believed that O-sensei was a master of multiple Koryu and that was the source of the founding of aikido. In short do your homework and you will be very glad you did. Really. Then come back and talk about it and flesh it out some more.
Cheers
Dan
All ready did a thread on it.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...nterviews+Stan

Thanks Dan,

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #24
DH
United_States

Your certainly welcome David.
Honestly, I think it will help broaden your views and help you understand where some of the people you have been talking "too" lately...are coming "from".
I am staying out of most of the discussions anymore, but when you point to some teachers who you believe are "all that" these books may help you realize how and why some of us do not reply at all. There is some truly powerful stuff out there, these books, taken as a whole will help you to see the nuance and have a greater balance and insight into the complexity of the debates of where Ueshiba came from and where he might have been pointing to.
*Note...read all three!
Good luck and enjoy...for you surely will.
Cheers
Dan
Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #25
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
Why is it that a question is questioned with another question?? Wouldn't an answer have been much simpler? I cannot speak for Davis, but I'll sure speak for myself........................ How do you expect to encourage members to pose questions or topics by telling them I to look somewhere else, and find the answer elsewhere?
Quote:
Cord: Do you answer every question with a question?
Blind Man: Do you question every answer?
Cord: Aww, talking to you is like talking to a wall.
Blind Man: Buddha once sat before a wall, and when he arose he was enlightened.
-Circle of Iron
Actually sometimes the best answer to a question is another question.It encourages us to think deeper and to search harder for the answers. The lesson is better learned when the answers have to be worked for.

It seems like our OP is learning to find the answers through the added questions posed to him by the other members. I hope he find what he is searching for.