Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-06-2002, 01:13 PM   #1
HillBilly
Dojo: North-East Scotland
Time 2 grade?

i Have been studing akido for jsut over 9 months now i am finding it really great and cant seem to get enoguh information on it and its ideas.But my question to you all is what is the average time it takes from a beginner in akido do progress and actually gain a grade.i know the student should sit the test when his sensi thinks he/she is ready but what is the kind of average?....... not that i am worried about grades i am jsut interested because my sensi has not suggested it and i dont like to ask bout that kind of stuff. Really enjoying akido hope everyone else enjoys it as much as me.

any thoguhts would be greatly apreaciated

HillBilly
Old 01-06-2002, 02:10 PM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I took my first grade in three months, it really depends on the organization. I would ask your sensei - don't be shy. These are the questions a beginner should ask.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-06-2002, 03:35 PM   #3
shihonage
United_States
I took my first grade in 20 months. Ahem.
I'm still at that rank.

Name's Forraist.
Forraist Ga-ump.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:45 PM   #4
guest1234
Did you get a handbook or handouts on rules and testing when you joined? If so, check to be sure you don't already have the answer. If not, you could either ask your sensei, or if it is easier, one of the senior students. As was said, each organization, and even each dojo, is different.

At my first, you asked to be tested for the first 6 kyu ranks when you felt ready, and were tested for the last 6 kyu ranks when Sensei decided (surprise )

At my next one, probably because nearly all the members were Dan rank, no one talked about testing...finally I asked what the requirements would be if I were to test, and the instructors were like "oh, testing , yeah, what a good idea..." and they set up a test for me and the few other kyu students.

But what others have done is pretty meaningless. Some dojos test weapons from the first tests onwards, some don't until Dan tests, and everything in between. Some test four or five techniques, some ten times that amount...or more ...so the only measurement is: do you feel ready, and does your sensei think you are...
Old 01-16-2002, 12:32 AM   #5
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
time 4 grading

Hi there!
Actually as the others have mentioned, grading varies from one dojo to the next. In our dojo you need to pass a certain amount of lessons before you go for a test, but it's truer for the first kyu's and less for higher kyu's. Usually it's at least 40 lessons for 5th kyu, 60 more for 4th, 80 more for 3rd, 100 more for 2nd...
But I know some grade before they have that amount of classes if they feel ready and are allowed to test.
In our dojo, when you want to grade, you go to a higher ranking student (at least 2 kyu's higher than you) and ask them if they think you are ready. If they say yes, it is thier job to train you for your exam so you will know the techniques and all that is expected from you. Usually they will also be your uke in the exam.
I went to my first test after 6 monthes and the next only a year later even though my teacher told me I can grade. I just didn't feel ready and I was never in a hurry. For me, aikido is a way of life and I hope to do it as long as I live, so why rush when there is so much still to learn? But it's really how you feel. I wanted to feel a change inside as well as knowing how to do the technique well.
We have someone in our dojo that started training in the UK and I know they used to grade around every 3 monthes or so. But I guess it also depended on the amount of days and hours you train each week.
In any case, when you decide to grade- GOOD LUCK to you!
Anat
Old 01-16-2002, 01:06 AM   #6
Edward
Thailand
Hi!

At our dojo we have a requirements system based on training hours and days. We have exams 4 times a year.

You can have an idea from the below thread:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=1316

Having completed the required time, you have the right to test, but this doesn't mean you can pass

Cheers,
Edward