Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #1
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Starting Slow?

Hi everyone! Would anyone mind sharing their thoughts with the group about this?

What are your opinions on "slow" training? That is, starting out with a technique slowly and then going faster (or smaller) down the road? There's the old adage, "If you can't do it slow, don't bother doing it fast".

I'm not looking for "that's bad/good", but maybe you could tell us what benefits you see or have experienced in training slow or not training slow at all.

Thanks,
*Phil

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 01-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, learning slow is the best way to train initially. It prevents your movement being just momentum. Forces the indivdual neurons to fire. Keeps you focused.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-11-2003, 09:48 PM   #3
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Phil,

I'm pretty sure you know where I sit (or stand) on this issue. Now get back to bed!

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 01-11-2003, 11:22 PM   #4
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
i think training slow is definately a good way to train. it gives you an oppurtunity to keep good form all the way through the technique and be able to really feel wether you have caught uke's balance or not. and in my opinion, power stems from form and catching uke's balance.

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 01-12-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
Slow is great as long as it doesn't mean dead.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 01-12-2003, 01:03 PM   #6
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote:
Slow is great as long as it doesn't mean dead.
Its a pretty harsh dojo where you can be killed trying to learn a new technique!

Slow and right is much better than fast and wrong when you're trying to learn something, imho.

(And when someone is trying to kill you, better to stick to something you already know! )

Sean

x
Old 01-13-2003, 07:33 AM   #7
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Aaahh grasshopper, fast is only slow speeded up!

Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 01-13-2003, 07:53 AM   #8
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I guess it depends on hos slow 'slow' is. I ususally try to keep a flow in my techniques, which means that I have to ajust my speed to my own and my uke's abilities. If I practice a technique that I'm not familiar with, or if I'm focusing on some specific detail of the technique, then I must lower the speed to a level where I can keep a god flow yet still manage to be 'ahead' of the technique in my mind. I seem to have a 'minimum speed requirement' in order to maintain the flow, but I suspect that as I get better I will be able to do the techniques even slower - and still maintaining the feeling of flow. (this demands an equally good uke though). At the same time, I will probably be able to do the techniques faster while not loosing control.

Very important: It should never be so slow that it is divided into 'sections' with a pause between each section. Then you become too focused on the nitty-gritty details, instead of actually 'feeling' the technique.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 01-13-2003, 09:22 AM   #9
aikigreg
Dojo: Mizu Aikido
Fast application of technique often hides sloppy technique, in my opinion. Training at a slow pace (but with no pauses) will really show you how good your technique is!
Old 01-13-2003, 10:24 AM   #10
Jeremy Pateman

Dojo: Newton Aycliffe, CO Durham.
As a beginner I have little choice. Slow is the only way I can learn the techniques, I do find however that as the knowledge grows and the speed increases the techniques become easier, both for myself and Uke. The pauses become less and the movement starts to flow.

God put me on this earth to achieve just so many tasks, right now I am so far behind I may never be allowed to die.