Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-04-2017, 03:59 AM   #1
Dothemo
Dojo: Canberra
Australia
Is tumbling fairly safe for overweight beginners

Hi Aikiweb,

I have started back training and I had a question regarding ukemi, is it fairly safe for overweight beginners? I am in my late thirties. What I have been doing is completely painless but by goodness does it puff me out and I get a sweat going! I have been cleared by a cardiologist for general exercise (unspecific) . Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
Walter Martindale
Canada
Re: Is tumbling fairly safe for overweight beginners

Generally, take your return to fitness gradually. If you're looking for general fitness and body control, aikido is one of the better ones. In addition, depending on the distance to your dojo, you could consider parking a couple of km away from the dojo and walking to and from the car. Or ride a bike to and from training. Or go for walks/hiking (tramping in OZ?), bike rides, swimming or anything else that takes an hour or so of relatively "whole body" movement.

After a while of getting back at exercising, you could consider "HIIT" training a couple of times a week to further enhance your strength/fitness/endurance.

Sweating is normal.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

I'm no expert. If you are concerned, talk to your doctor.

Having said that, here is my experience. I have known a number of people that are quite overweight that can receive techniques. Sumo wrestlers are also quite good at rolling and falling. If what you are doing is painless but puffs you out, that sounds pretty normal. I experience the same thing even though I'm not overweight.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 AM   #4
Dothemo
Dojo: Canberra
Australia

Thanks Walter, really appreciated. I can park and walk to the dojo definitely for a warmup. Hmm I haven't heard the term tramping, the indigenous Australians here use the term "walkabout" I believe. Regarding the HIIT I am also doing other general fitness stuff otherwise I don't think I'll pass my first grading! Yep I definitely sweat a lot. Cheers.

Thanks Robin, cheers for the reassurance. The doctors are sick of me, they just want me to exercise! I was making sure that no horror stories popped up and there thankfully doesn't seem to be any. It's reassuring to know sumos do ukemi rolling. I am no where near as big as a sumo but I'm pretty freaking heavy, ~170kg. Although I've been told I look about 140kg. Big bones maybe? (or heavy fat!) cheers.

Last edited by Dothemo : 10-05-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Edward Matthews wrote: View Post
Thanks Walter, really appreciated. I can park and walk to the dojo definitely for a warmup. Hmm I haven't heard the term tramping, the indigenous Australians here use the term "walkabout" I believe. Regarding the HIIT I am also doing other general fitness stuff otherwise I don't think I'll pass my first grading! Yep I definitely sweat a lot. Cheers.

(Snip)
Hi Edward, I guess Ozzies and Kiwis are more different than I thought even though I have lived in NZ for 6 years (back in Canada since 2010). In NZ tramping is going on a (usually) multi-day walk in the back country/bush with backpacks and tents.

170kg is certainly a big mass to move about. If you eventually get to running as a training mode, take a week's break after three weeks buildup. Your tibias will appreciate it. I was going to suggest rowing but the bigger boats normally can only take up to maybe 120kg. Rowing machines can usually accommodate bigger people so that may be an option.

Cheers,
Walter

Last edited by Walter Martindale : 10-05-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
Hi Edward, I guess Ozzies and Kiwis are more different than I thought even though I have lived in NZ for 6 years (back in Canada since 2010). In NZ tramping is going on a (usually) multi-day walk in the back country/bush with backpacks and tents.

Cheers,
Walter
He means bushwalking...
Old 11-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
tlk52
Dojo: Aikido of Park Slope/NY Aikikai
United_States

it's "fairly safe" if you keep in mind that it can be fairly dangerous. especially if you come down on your shoulder or clavicle. make sure you're round and smooth on the rolls. take your time.

I had a student who came in as a middle aged overweight beginner but who had been athletic earlier in life. he was fine at the beginning because he was cautious. but because he was able to learn quickly he then started being less cautious and ended up jumping into a roll and coming down on his shoulder and breaking it because of all the extra weight...

Last edited by tlk52 : 11-29-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
Nunchuka
Dojo: Notting HIll Aikikia
United Kingdom

My old boss was a very hefty fellow, and he did Jujitsu as a way to get into shape and it worked very well for him. He didn't take things easy that much but just relied on his body to tell him when to stop. You know your body best so the best advice I can give is that if something does not feel right, find another way to do it until it does feel right.