Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
zakariae abbad
Dojo: Dojo Aiki Fez
Morocco
Help for the connection between the centers of the uke and nage

Hello every one,
I'm a new member of this well known community (Aikiweb), I'm Shodan in Aikido martial art, I need help in subject conserning the connection between the centers of the uke and nage, I know the meaning of this connection but I need to know how to set up this connection in every technique I do in my Aikido practice.
And thank's by advance.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Help for the connection between the centers of the uke and nage

Hi Zarariae,

Welcome to AikiWeb. I hope you feel welcome in joining in with the discussions here.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

Interestingly, I asked Dan Harden at one of his seminars about this very thing, and I was told that I would not want to connect my centre to my partner's.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
asiawide

Quote:
Amos Barnett wrote: View Post
Interestingly, I asked Dan Harden at one of his seminars about this very thing, and I was told that I would not want to connect my centre to my partner's.
Connecting center works like a magic for most people but it's also giving access permission to my center. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbxWbehlB98) There are guys who can hide/move their center freely to avoid the connection. Especially total beginners do it very well since they have 0 structure. It's big no-no at dojo since it can easily irritate partners. But such guys could find my center while not giving theirs. So I keep on training.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
DevinHammer

Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
United_States

I have been developing a method specifically for learning to establish and maintain connection with uke's center throughout most techniques (without giving them access to my center). At the risk of sounding mysterious, it's probably not the center you're used to dealing with. I hesitate to present it here without the ability to illustrate and demonstrate because it would most likely be misunderstood. So, if you're ever in Santa Cruz, I'd be happy to share it with you.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
-- Jedi Master Yoda
Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
shuckser
Dojo: Brighton Aikikai, UK
United Kingdom

As I understand it, the axes/centres of Tori and Uke are unified by respecting, among other principles, the Axis of Action.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #7
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Zakariae Abbad wrote: View Post
Hello every one,
I'm a new member of this well known community (Aikiweb), I'm Shodan in Aikido martial art, I need help in subject conserning the connection between the centers of the uke and nage, I know the meaning of this connection but I need to know how to set up this connection in every technique I do in my Aikido practice.
And thank's by advance.
before you get to the center to center connection, you might want to read through this thread http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25155

the question here is, can you put the ground to any part of your body? if you can't, then i would not bother with the whole center to center thingy. by the way, there is a second part to the above question which is quite relevant as well, but won't ask it if the answer to the above question is "no".

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
zakariae abbad
Morocco

Thank you Jun Akiyama.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
zakariae abbad
Morocco

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
before you get to the center to center connection, you might want to read through this thread http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25155

the question here is, can you put the ground to any part of your body? if you can't, then i would not bother with the whole center to center thingy. by the way, there is a second part to the above question which is quite relevant as well, but won't ask it if the answer to the above question is "no".
thank you for the thread.