Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #1
arturolczykowski

Dojo: Musubi Aikido Club
United Kingdom
Starting Training at 45

Hello everyone. I am just thinking about starting practising Akido and wanted to learn something about it on this forum. Isn't 45 too late to start practising?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #2
Sojourner
Australia
Re: Hi

Not at all! Aikido is ideal for Over 40's, many people often move across to it from other martial arts for that reason! This group here can be very helpful if you are taking up Martial Arts as an over 40 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldf...larts/?fref=ts
Old 01-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Starting Training at 45

I started at 44, now 65.
A good friend started at 70.
Bow in youngster.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Two gents in my dojo started at 68 and 72. Both still going strong. So stop the age excuse and get yourself to a dojo.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
BWells
Dojo: ADV
United_States

I started at 45, am turning 67 this month. My age has never been an issue:-)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

I remember some 50 years back, Kenshiro Abbe Sensei saying that Osensei had said the peak age for a man was 55 years of age, he said it is a time when a man has to use technique rather than strength.

Henry Ellis

Co-author of `Positive Aikido`

http://kazuo-chiba-sensei.blogspot.com/
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
http://henryellis-aikido.blogspot.com/
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
Old 01-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Artur Olczykowski wrote: View Post
Hello everyone. I am just thinking about starting practising Akido and wanted to learn something about it on this forum. Isn't 45 too late to start practising?
Why are you asking? If we said yes, what would you do?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

I started at 46 or 47, it is never to late to start.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
Brett_D
Dojo: Blue Mountains Ki Federation
Australia

I started three years ago at the age of 46. Some of the damage I've done to myself over the years playing various sports now occasionally manifests itself, and I'm having to learn how to be a little more careful about how I do things, but I'm also now more flexible, more balanced, more relaxed, and just enjoying my aikido. So let me encourage you to get in there! 45? A great age to start, IMO.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Artur - The oldest person we had to start training started at 69. You're never too old.

Ron

Old 01-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Stay away from break falls.....just roll.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Le Samourai

United_States

While I don't think it's too late at all, I would be curious to hear a bit more from those who took up Aikido later in life, especially those who had background in other arts. How would you describe your overall experience as an older newbie Aikido student? Since Aikido is often described as having a rather steep learning curve, do you find your age a help, hindrance, or neither?

I am asking as a 44-year-old JKD/Kali/BJJ guy with an interest in Aikido.

—Le Samourai

My blog...
http://www.agentintraining.com/
Old 01-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Brandon Bosworth wrote: View Post
Since Aikido is often described as having a rather steep learning curve, do you find your age a help, hindrance, or neither?
I'd say it depends entirely on how well you can empty your cup, and how patient you are with letting it fill up on its own rather than grasping at things with which to fill it. Some people, as they get older, become more rigid and less able to adopt a fluid and open mindset to new things; others become better at this. Study in other arts can help or hinder; IMO&E it's a big mistake to try to understand or frame aikido in terms of what you already know. If you can give all that up and let aikido emerge as its own thing, not "like this" or "like that" or even "different than the other thing", down the road (meaning some years) the experience in other arts can help your understanding.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #14
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Brandon Bosworth wrote: View Post
While I don't think it's too late at all, I would be curious to hear a bit more from those who took up Aikido later in life, especially those who had background in other arts. How would you describe your overall experience as an older newbie Aikido student? Since Aikido is often described as having a rather steep learning curve, do you find your age a help, hindrance, or neither?

I am asking as a 44-year-old JKD/Kali/BJJ guy with an interest in Aikido.
This reflects my background and the added proviso that aikido drew me far further into its clutches than anything I had done before.

One comment I could make is that age is not really the determining factor but your condition. Beyond the 45 year olds going on 60 and those 45 year olds going on 30, there are many things that determine how quickly and how far you immerse yourself. As an older student your judgement about your own body is probably better now than it was at say 15 but still we see older people holding back too much, just as we see much younger people not take the proper care.

If you have the background in other martial arts you should have a pretty good idea how to adjust your training.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

One my dojo-mates, a 70-something year old woman, received her shodan about this time last year, and about half of our kyu-ranks are in their 40s or 50s, so yep, you'll probably be fine as long as the dojo you pick isn't one of the very few, excessively-aggressive ones.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #16
Le Samourai

United_States

Mary and Peter,

Thank you both for your comments.

For me, Aikido would really not have been a viable option when I was younger. I readily admit I lacked the patience and discipline. And physically, I am actually way fitter in my 40s than I was in my 20s.

As for the "emptying the cup", this is such an important concept to me I wrote a blog post about it.

Finally, I think these two news stories are relevant to the discussion:

At nearly 80, he earns his black belt in Aikido

Daily Aikido routine provides strength, confidence after stroke

(Why do I sense that the above is some sort of subconscious effort to convince myself to finally take up Aikido?)

—Le Samourai

My blog...
http://www.agentintraining.com/
Old 01-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #17
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
I remember some 50 years back, Kenshiro Abbe Sensei saying that Osensei had said the peak age for a man was 55 years of age, he said it is a time when a man has to use technique rather than strength.
Whehey!
Artur has ten years to go, get cracking!
Old 01-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #18
Rmada
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido

I just started and i'm 49, you can do it!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #19
John McBride
Dojo: NA
United_States

Quote:
Hello Artur!

I am new to the forums, but, in a strange way, NOT new to Aikido/Budo.

Years, and years ago, (way, way, WAY, more than I care to admit) i studied Aikido very diligently and earnestly.

For reasons I will not get too deep into here, I had to step off the mat. Marriage, kids, career, bills to pay, all played their part in the sabbatical I was forced to take.

i think that all the responses here are spot on. The short answer to your question is no, it is not too late to start training.

Here is my take. When I was a younger student, as hard as I might try, the allure of that Shodan was a constant battle for me. I knew intellectually that ranks, belts, and ladder climbing were OK as bench marks and in some respects, a way to gauge where one stood in the eyes of Sensi. My journey back then was a constant battle between the western view of martial arts, and the more metaphysical perspective. Somewhere in my gut, or hara, I knew that the brass ring was never really found on the mat, or determined by what was tied around my waist. yet I still struggled internally with the desire for affirmation.

After more than 20 years off the mat, I am once more into the breech. I am reentering Aikido training at the age of 45 just as you are. I am doing so with a healed broken back, joints that creak and ache, and also with a mind that years of living have opened to a much bigger world view and much more introspective approach to the art.

I think that one of the respected members mentioned Osensi's belief that one's Maturity as a practitioner of Aikido did not full reach it's peak until the age of 55 or so. He felt that it was at this point that one had to develop technique to the point of proficiency so as to be effective without depending on physical strength to produce desired effects. i subscribe to this notion. I subscribe to this as someone who has practiced as a young man, and is now entering into that sweet spot chronologically. Not just as an old fart getting on the mat.

One other thought that occurs to me, at our age, generally speaking, we stopped "proving ourselves" about a decade ago. This is, in my view, the PERFECT time to take up Aikido. We have the unique opportunity to dive right in, caring not a wit about anything more than what technique we are practicing AT THAT MOMENT. This is key in my mind. It helps not just with the integration of the technique into our quiver of movements, but it is also a lovely way to develop mindfulness. Taking all this together, it is a wonderful recipe for good health both in our soul, as well as in our body well into our dotage.

Enjoy the ride, I know I am!!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 02:09 AM   #20
dorit
Dojo: Aikikai Jerusalem
Israel

Welcome Artur
the one and only answer is
NO
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #21
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Artur

I was just reading your message again, I find it a little misleading when you say you are ` thinking ` about starting to practice Aikido, yet, your profile date shows you are already with a dojo in Farnham, I would assume that Dominic Foster would be happy to help you with your questions as a beginner.
Of course you are also welcome to ask here as well.

Henry Ellis

Co-author of `Positive Aikido`

http://kazuo-chiba-sensei.blogspot.com/
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/
http://henryellis-aikido.blogspot.com/
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #22
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands

Quote:
It is never too late to start!
Some people say aikido is about breathing and focus.
You are still breathing, aren't you?

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 09-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #23
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

My kid started when he was 12 so I sent with him. (I was 42) I continued 13 years then I had a major stroke. My Shihan (Henry Smith) can twice to my hospital to learn how I was. (I had aphasia and could not speak letters.) He gave me some exercises I could do in my bed and as soon as I could leave the hospital (one month later) I could walk enough to get up to the second floor (and clean myself!!!) It is four years now and I do complete aikido/jo/bokken/iaido once more. I do not try to pretend I am what I was and several aikido friends ask me if I seem to be going too much. Qi Gong always is what I liked back in Columbia College and it still is the best exercises for me. "Make yourself new!"
Old 11-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #24
Eamon
Dojo: Aikido of Connecticut/Manchester, CT
United_States

Quote:
Way to go! You're a braver man than me!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #25
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ed Shockley wrote: View Post
My kid started when he was 12 so I sent with him. (I was 42) I continued 13 years then I had a major stroke. My Shihan (Henry Smith) can twice to my hospital to learn how I was. (I had aphasia and could not speak letters.) He gave me some exercises I could do in my bed and as soon as I could leave the hospital (one month later) I could walk enough to get up to the second floor (and clean myself!!!) It is four years now and I do complete aikido/jo/bokken/iaido once more. I do not try to pretend I am what I was and several aikido friends ask me if I seem to be going too much. Qi Gong always is what I liked back in Columbia College and it still is the best exercises for me. "Make yourself new!"
Definition of dedication...

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day