Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
Messias
Portugal
"solo" training?

Hi there,

Today itīs a national Holiday in Brasil (Carnaval) and everything is closed until further notice, so I was wondering if you have some exercises that can be done when you are alone.
For me itīs probably too soon for trying to do something on my own besides ukemi (and I have a small living room, so that is out as well), but is it possible to train the techniques by yourself?

Cheers,
Messias.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: "solo" training?

Samba... for the hips.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Messias
Portugal

eheheheh...
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Samba... for the hips.

tango for the ladies

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
tango for the ladies
A friend of mine would advise bachata for that!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
lbb
United_States

Solo aikido training is difficult, especially if you're pretty new to it. Here's an idea for something you can try, that might be both fun and educational:

Part 1: practice tai sabaki (footwork). Start with the basics. Every step you make, check and correct, check and correct. Are your feet where they should be, lined up as they should be? Is your weight where it should be? Are your hips oriented correctly? Check and correct. Do that until you are doing the basic tai sabaki correctly, then start to combine them. Irimi tenkan. Irimi kaiten. Et cetera. Again, check and correct, check and correct.

Part 2: go to youtube and find some aikido videos of techniques that you know. Watch the videos and identify the footwork being used. Is this how you're used to seeing it done? If not, how is it different? Could it be done another way?

Footwork is one of the most fundamental skills in aikido, and I think that for most of us, the ability to observe is another. Trying to practice waza without a partner is probably a waste of time, but perhaps you can get some good practice of some of the skills that are the foundation of waza.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
Messias
Portugal

Hi there,

Thank you, lbb. Thatīs exactly what I meant! Something that could be done "solo" and would somehow benefit the learnings on the matt.
Iīll have a look into what you said.

And thank you to all the dancing suggestions, but I guess my wife wonīt be too happy with me dancing the Samba/Lambada, especially in this time of the year...

Cheers,
Messias.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States

Messias, training solo really is a large part of effective training, even after people have been on the mat for years. In fact, after awhile, the training can become part of everyday life - even in the way we sit, stand, walk, move, open doors, put the dishes away. There's always places to study and play around. It actually becomes a sort of mindfulness - an attention, an opening in consciousness that can help keep us more awake.

I think if more people would train solo before they ever even stepped on the mat, they'd be more prepared to really learn. A lot of people who come into aikido have to actually be deprogrammed, and rewired. The main thing we run into, especially in the West, is the idea that large muscle groups and their use are our source of strength. We can move into an entirely different level of strength by disengaging the large muscle groups and tapping into the intrinsic strength in the body's natural design.

I'm actually working on developing something especially for people like you, who are remote and may not have access at times to training places. And even for people who do train, as something supplemental on aspects that might not be so readily apparent.

Have a look at this video, in which I explain that your skin is what makes the structure of your body.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybVBN2qUFFA
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Felipe, you might consider doing the aiki taiso exercises that Tohei sensei propounded. Fune kogi undo and so forth are excellent exercises for developing aikido movement and I believe all of our techniques can be found in those movements. You Tube has plenty of example videos. We do them at the start of every class. I learn something each and every time that translates to what we do later that same class. I do them at home frequently and find they help.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Adam Huss

United_States

Given your small space you could practice knee walking techniques. I often do weapons when training by myself. If possible I would recommend asking your teacher or senior to allow you to video tape any solo exercises such as kata, suburi, aiki taiso, tai sabaki or whatever similar things are taught in your dojo. That way you can use it as a reference for training when the dojo is closed or you are traveling. I would keep it simple though, you don't want to overburden yourself!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
bkaaria
Dojo: Japanese Embassy, Upper hill
Kenya

Hello. I am very happy to be associated with this community.

I hope to learn alot.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

Many schools in Aikido have some solo practices. Some serve a variety of purposes, some are specific. I was given recipes and 100 day assignments many times. Ki no taiso, Aiki Shin Taiso, Aikiken or Aikijo, musubi no Ken or Jo, whatever.

The problem was I had a life outside of the dojo. For example, around day 88 once I joined my dad for a 90 kilometer cross country skiing event. I felt guilty that my jello legs were not up to the solo exercises, then realized 90 kilometers of skiing certainly counted as training!

Exercise counts, meditation counts, reading counts - even taking a chance to watch the best judoka, boxers and wrestlers on the planet compete at the Olympics coming up soon in Brazil I believe has something to inform my practice. I see this is a resurrected thread, but dancing in Carnaval - heck yes it counts as training for me.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

How about session warmups and practicing techniques involving tenkan while visualizing the other person there.

After several instances of leaving the mat for a few years, this was the only thing that kept me involved in Aikido. Studying at home has brought me many benefits even when I wasn't technically advancing my training onsite.

I try to do a class warmup at home every day.

Last edited by fatebass21 : 12-29-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #14
ninjedi

United_States

No mention of the do kihon dosa yet? These are fantastic for solo practice.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #15
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

Funnily enough, it was the kihon dosa that inspired a training method I used to improve my, and subsequently other people's tasabaki.

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Part 1: practice tai sabaki (footwork). Start with the basics. Every step you make, check and correct, check and correct. Are your feet where they should be, lined up as they should be? Is your weight where it should be? Are your hips oriented correctly? Check and correct. Do that until you are doing the basic tai sabaki correctly, then start to combine them. Irimi tenkan. Irimi kaiten. Et cetera. Again, check and correct, check and correct.
To add to this excellent advice, here is what I practice:

As we tend to over-focus on our arms, I first start taisabaki practice by sticking my thumbs in my belt (or pants) and then practicing. As my hands are in front of my center, they can't screw up my focus.

Second, I take my hands out and relax them 100% and practice again. They must be relaxed 100% and the speed and rhythm of one's movement will be entirely related to that of one's arms.

Third, I practice the same but with movements from incoming attacks (shomen-uchi, tsuki), using my arms in the most relaxed way possible, the focus entirely on my center body. The aim is to have one's arms not interfering with the turning movement, so requires some experimentation with finding the ideal, and most relaxed movement.

I also extend this with longer or shorter steps and slower and faster turning around my center line. I've also found that any movement practice based on a technique, or parts of it to be very helpful.

I now also practice some of the drills on https://trueaiki.com and various methods documented on pages such as here: http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/blog/...-ryu-aikibudo/

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.