Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
lidor3160
Israel
aikido kobayashi

I practiced Aikido Aikkai 4 months. And spread.
I want to return to practice.
And we have Aikido Kobayashi teacher Dan 5.
There is a difference between Kobayashi to Aikkai?
I mean Kobayashi Ryu. By Hirokazu Kobayashi.
The teacher said that the only difference is Kobayashi using both hands. And Aikkai one hand. Is that true?
Thank you.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
NagaBaba

Re: aikido kobayashi

Quote:
Lidor Levi wrote: View Post
I practiced Aikido Aikkai 4 months. And spread.
I want to return to practice.
And we have Aikido Kobayashi teacher Dan 5.
There is a difference between Kobayashi to Aikkai?
I mean Kobayashi Ryu. By Hirokazu Kobayashi.
The teacher said that the only difference is Kobayashi using both hands. And Aikkai one hand. Is that true?
Thank you.
No, it is not true. What a very stupid explanation….

H. Kobayashi sensei developed very sophisticated level of aikido. It means they almost don't have static exercises or techniques; as a consequence they don't practice against very strong static attacks. The reason is simple -- transmission such high level of aikido to the beginners is not possible without full cooperation or over cooperation of attacker during many years. So you practice many years and can't verify a real efficiency of your techniques. Also they developed a lot of complicated visualizations and intellectual explanations, which in the end is another weak point of this system.

They have particular very complete warm up/solo exercises system called Aiki taiso. It is very painful, but good aspect of it is that it push you to your limits and even further.
There is also very complete system of weapons.
Overall I'd recommend this teaching to advanced students, not for beginners.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
lidor3160
Israel

That you mean? Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPzG8...eature=related
I did it also Aikkai.
Students of teacher told me. Kobayashi much more effective. Is that true?
Thank you very much.
I'm sorry if there are spelling mistakes. This is what Google.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
lidor3160
Israel

That is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B2PMwdD2cc
Aikido Kobayashi common in Japan?
Student's teacher told me. Kobayashi more effective. Is that true?
There are many recommendations on the teacher. I think I will try.
Do you know where the Hombu Dojo of Kobayashi.
Thank you.
I'm sorry about spelling mistakes.'s Google's translation.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
That you mean? Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPzG8...eature=related
Students of teacher told me. Kobayashi much more effective. Is that true?
I always always ALWAYS take this sort of statement with a grain of salt. I find most schools will make this sort of claim. On the whole, I think any style of aikido is very effective when done well. It all boils down to the individual teacher. I know nothing about this Kobayashi-ryu, but I imagine the same applies to this school.

Last edited by akiy : 11-23-2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
jlbrewer

"taiso", from what I can tell, is the generic word for "body conditioning", a.k.a. calisthenics. By itself it doesn't imply anything about what sort of exercise it is, but if it's different from the ones in that video I'd be surprised.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
ewolput
Dojo: Shobukai
Belgium

In the seventies I have trained a few years with Hirokazu Kobayashi as an example. He came frequently to Holland and Belgium. His style of aikido was very minimalistic. Power started in the middle of his body and with circular or spiral movements he was able to control the attack of the opponent without stopping the opponents movement. The attack (action of the opponent) became a movement of the opponent (without danger for tori) and the energy was skillfully turned into a control action or throwing action by him (Kobayashi).
About the Taiso, without a good instruction, those taiso are just gymnastic exercises. He explained them very well, but I am afraid I didn't understood it very well in that time. I took a lot of notes what he was saying and until recently I started to understand what he was teaching in those taiso.
Without understanding the principle of spiral ( he mentioned it as the principle of meguri) his aikido will become a form of a martial dance with elements usefull for self defense, but far away from Morihei Ueshiba's aikido.
Once I tried to him to resist and before I realised I was on the floor. He used the principle behind the waza of shiho nage.
Just some old memories of this deshi of Morihei Ueshiba.
Eddy
Old 11-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
lidor3160
Israel

Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
NagaBaba

Quote:
That is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B2PMwdD2cc
Student's teacher told me. Kobayashi more effective. Is that true?
There are many recommendations on the teacher. I think I will try.
Thank you.
I'm sorry about spelling mistakes.'s Google's translation.
No. H.Kobayashi sensei developed his own system of aiki taiso which is VERY different from aiki taiso aikikai or any other aikido style. I don't think you can find it on youtube. They tend to keep them private, even aiki taiso seminars are often not accessible for students from other federations.

There is no hombu dojo for this style of aikido. All senior students of sensei practice separately and formed their own federations. They are in Japan(mainly Osaka), Italy, France, Belgium\Holland?, Poland and I think in Germany.

Eddy - nice memories. I also was lucky to be able to follow few seminars with sensei while living in Belgium. Effectively meguri was one of very important concept in his approach. H.Kobayashi sensei was one of important influences for my aikido even if I studied later with other shihans.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Anywhere else but Japan. Perhaps you can do a search in Japanese

http://www.aikido-kobayashi.org/en/k...the-world.html
Old 11-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
DodgingRain

Eddy, nice post.

As you go back over your notes, Id be interested in hearing how you interpret them today with what you now know.

Id love to hear more specifics/details about this Kobayashi Sensei's taiso from his students or someone in the know. Sounds interesting, but if Szczepan is right then I wont hold my breath. Too bad..
Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Ellis Amdur

I have been unable to find the reference, but I once came across an article about Kobayashi, where Takeda Tokimune was described as observing the practice and commenting publicly, (my best recollection) "This is real Daito-ryu. No one is doing this these days."

Which leads to a couple of thoughts, only slightly tangential:
Terry Dobson said to me that Ueshiba "had this quality where he'd show you something and you'd get the impression he was saying, 'I'm showing you the real stuff. All these other guys - I'm just showing them what they can understand, but you, I'm giving you the real goods.'" Terry then continued, "I've no doubt all the other deshi got the same message. But based on my experience with him, I honestly believe he meant it in my case. I'm the only one who thinks it's funny, though."

That said, I've had a theory for some time that Ueshiba used each "center" of Aikido (Iwama, Shingu, Osaka of Tanaka Bansen, Osaka of Kobayashi Hirokazu, etc.) to study a certain principle he was interested in. In other words, each group was a set of crash-test dummies of one aspect of his art. Otherwise, how could Kobayashi and Saito, for example, be contemporaneous? Saito recalls Ueshiba looking at him in the bath one day and telling him that he was too physically weak. Saito started doing weight lifting with a rail-road tie.

In HIPS, I implicitly suggested that no one was listening and watching well enough. How about an alternative hypothesis that Ueshiba sectored off his presentations and instructions so that each group/shihan, in fact, did get something different. In part, this was according to their character (hence, Terry got the "aiki is love" because that poor guy was so looking for it at the time), and in part, Ueshiba just decided that's what he wanted to work on.

Best
Ellis Amdur

Old 11-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
DH
United_States

You can add Shirata to the camp of doing Daito ryu. And Mochizuki who told Tamura (one prewar Deshi to a post war deshi) you are not doing real aikido.
Your theory is reminiscent of my own about Takeda; the reason that Daito ryu looked so different among the schools was his using them as a playground to experiment on. There is enough circumstantial evidence to present a case that they were both modifying prior research and making this stuff up as they went along and grew. Experimenting on whoever showed up to serve their need at the time. This "never repeating a technique" they were both known for, doesn't smell right from any koryu standpoint I can think of. If it were true at all.
Dan
Old 11-25-2011, 04:29 AM   #14
ewolput
Dojo: Shobukai
Belgium

Kobayashi aikitaiso : http://kielce.aikido.art.pl/aikitaiso.html#taiso
This gives you an idea about the Kobayashi taiso;
The rowing exercise, when the arms are forward, they are not on 1 line. In Tohei's model the hands are on 1 line when forward.
Kobayashi stressed to start movement from the pelvis. Some of the taiso are designed to create a better use of the pelvis, or maybe it is better to say with the chinese word kua.
How he used his body you can see : http://www.youtube.com/user/nicoaiki.../0/AALpKk8ipCI
There are more clips of Kobayashi on the channel of this uploader.

Enjoy,
Eddy