Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #76
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Re: I think I'm done with Aikido

~~Good luck to you on your path. Who knows? Someday your feet may guide you back to Aikido, for entirely different reasons~~

~~Paula~~
Old 05-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #77
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote:
You're generalising a bit too much there, it does exist in several systems, the best known probably being Shodokan.
I stand corrected.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:02 AM   #78
takusan
Dojo: Canterbury Aikido Club
New Zealand

Lynn Seiser, your wisdom is great. Many should take to their heart what you said.

Two years is plenty of time to change.
Aikido will still be there, regardless if any one of us decide to leave or stay.

Anon, do what YOU feel is correct.
You are not alone.
I have many times had my foot half out the door.
And I have been doing Aikido for a whole lot of years longer than you.
Its not aikido that will give you the answers, its within yourself. That was my realisation.
Aikido or what ever you do is a tool or a path. Use it. Discard it, just don't stop growing.

Sad to see you go from aikido, but I hope you find more answers while doing what ever you finally settle upon.
Hay - it might be that you will return to aikido one day.

Dave H
Old 05-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #79
Aragorn
Dojo: Aikido of Marin
United_States

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
1-To each their own
2-Some would say that now that there is no goal in your training that the true learning can commence.
I agree completly with you. let him go and wish him luck cause he can always return!

Good luck anon!

Regards,
Old 05-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #80
theflyingheadbuttsuplex
Dojo: Aikido Institute Davis
United_States

oh, thanks for telling me that I've heard of Fusen ryu but that is pretty rare.

If there is no wind, row!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #81
Camille Lore
Dojo: Lehigh Fukasakai
United_States

I wish you luck in your search for answers.
I can relate to some of what you say. I began practicing Aikido with an Aikikai school 15 years ago, and as a young teen, I enjoyed the spiritual side of it and the subtle defenses against attacks. After 15 years away from Aikido, I've found myself at a point in life where things were in place for me to return. I sought out the spiritual side of Aikido, and found a local dojo that teaches Fukasa-ryu Aikido and Jujutsu. At first I found it confusing and couldn't tell where the Aikido was and where the Jujutsu stopped.
However, now I've had a chance to go to an Aikikai school and have returned with a new appreciation for my dojo.
Our Sensei teaches an Aikido that is based on wartime martial arts, different from the Aikido that evolved post-war. We learn techniques that are higher level pretty much right from the beginning, and a lot of our techniques require hard breakfalls.
If my technique isn't working, my Sensei and partner will tell me and help me make it effective. In my dojo, we don't just fall because we're supposed to - we fall because the technique is working. We also train doing a lot of simple, direct techniques that will work on the street. After having trained for only a few months at this dojo, I feel confident that I can defend myself if I ever need to.
Aikido has a broad spectrum of styles. I have found myself suprisingly happy with a more combat oriented Aikido. Fukasa-ryu is very effective and I am proud to be learning it.
I certainly have no negative things to say about other styles, only having practiced one other, and having found something that appeals to another side of me....
My point is to keep searching. You will find your own Aikido that is what you seek.
Best wishes,
Camille
Old 07-14-2005, 04:05 AM   #82
actoman
Dojo: USA Martial Arts Center
United_States

Mortal, I do wish you the best...but think on this first..

Aikido helped you change into the person you are today (apparently in a big way). according to many I talk to, they too get burned out and want to try something different...this is a test of your mind to stay in the fight and keep going.

I believe, and this is only opinion, that you will one day make it back to the mat. But for now good luck!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #83
"wmanthony527@msn.com"
IP Hash: 1756d354
Anonymous User

Never sent a reply to a forum before, but fell the need. I was with the fukasa-ryu group in Pennsylvania also, in fact I was a senior student who didn't care what color his belt was and just lived for Aikido, and all offered art training . It started as Aikido Tenshinkai, Sensei's teacher was from Flordia, My respect is always, and in the beginning it was just a few of us, we trained hard and I respect our YOUNG Sensei, then one day the Sensei told me that todays students want to learn from a 5th dan or better, within the next year the Sensei's cousin, from New York started Fukasa -Ryu in year 2000 -2001 and Sensei was a fifth dan. Apparently Fukasa-Ryu "Soke" had Aikido training along with all the other arts. Today Aikido masters teacher is now a Soke-Dai. I know I missed the point of true Buda and let personal problems at the time get in my way, but forgive me for speaking up. I'm an older student who I think was respected from my peers and most likely upset at myself. We had ranks in Tenshinkai and Fukasa-Ryu, I always wore my Tenshinkai rank even after receiving an Dan ranking in Fukasa-Ryu Aikido. Teachers have an influence on students younger or older and vise versa. I'm in my 50's and wish I had just one of the extra lifetimes to master an art that, it seems, are so common. These teachers are good teachers and good people, guess I'm old fashioned (along with just old) and wish all would respect their 1st Dan and not worry past that !!!
With Respect to all, William