Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-28-2001, 10:26 AM   #1
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
reverse ukemi

Just to follow on from the last thread on forward ukemi;

If you do a reverse ukemi (say with the right leg reaching behind you), do you rise with the left leg in front (i.e. you stand up in the same posture you went down with)

OR

do you swing the other (right) leg through whilst you are rising and thus rise in the opposite stance.

I tend to do both (depending on circumstance), but I wondered if anyone is taught both and whether there is anyone that considers the last method to be poor technique?

Ian
Old 06-28-2001, 10:42 AM   #2
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

I always finish a backward roll by standing up in the same stance that I started in. I do the same with forward rolls as well (On a side note, I don't slap or tap the mat when performing forward rolls or backward rolls). During class (and testing) the instructor will test the students balance and focus by pushing or pulling the student right at the completion of the roll. I've found that the simplest way to perform the roll and maintain proper focus and balance is to not switch my feet while rising back into a hanmi stance. Have a good day!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 06-29-2001, 03:38 AM   #3
TAC One
Dojo: Aikikai Valsugana
Re: reverse ukemi

Quote:
Originally posted by ian
Just to follow on from the last thread on forward ukemi;

If you do a reverse ukemi (say with the right leg reaching behind you), do you rise with the left leg in front (i.e. you stand up in the same posture you went down with)

OR

do you swing the other (right) leg through whilst you are rising and thus rise in the opposite stance.
I usually get up with the same stance as before.

Tac

TAC One

Old 07-02-2001, 01:44 PM   #4
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
What I think your asking (maybe not) is do you step 'back' or swing the leg through. We learn both we call one retreating and the other advancing. If someone shoves you backwards and follows you then you can't step forward because there is no room. Also if someone shoves and they stay where they are you can be more 'aggressive' by stepping through, sort of say "hay don't do that." ☺

Graham Wild
Old 07-03-2001, 10:21 PM   #5
thomasgroendal

Dojo: Hoshu Portland Dojo
United_States
I often end with shomen uchi ikkyo undo. shomen uchi ikkyo undo reflects a cut, and in a wierd way so does a roll, so I come up on the same foot, and see if my balance is still okay enough to do the exercise.