Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #26
Min Kang
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States
Re: Questioning a teacher

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
I don't know, but I was always glad when Utada Sensei asked me to help someone. I guess I felt it meant he trusted me with his students.

Maybe that's just me.

Best,
Ron (hey, I've been glad ever since he stopped chuckling when watching me do waza )
LOL. I know how you felt. Whenever Saotome Sensei teaches a seminar I swear he chuckled every time he walked by me.

They that have power to hurt and will do none,
That do not do the thing they most do show,
Who, moving others, are themselves as stone ...
Old 05-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Yeah, stinks don't it?

Ah well, I kept training, and while he still gives me THAT look from time to time, at least he doesn't chuckle (as much anyway...maybe he's just hiding it better).

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #28
Sarah Lothmann

Dojo: Glendal, AZ
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Perhaps the writer of this was referring to a permanent plateau, a cessation of exploration of growth.
Could be.... That would make sense..... I'm curious now! I'll have to remember to ask my Sensei about it!

The universe is infinite with blessings.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #29
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Hi
Like the thread says: question your teacher. Always. Keep asking yourself why a teacher does as he does. Why he makes you do things. If you do not understand, think, think hard or finally ask with an open attitude. Do not assume anything.

Really, I can see why you feel the way you do. You (probably still) assume you can only learn from your teachers or high graders. So when this condition is not met, you get frustrated. In Aikido you train with many different people, preferably those that are worse or better than you (i.e. teach and be taught). To train with an equally experienced partner is a waste, I think.

Your teacher has given you a precious thing: trust. and then you question that? It is not all bad to make bad judgements; you can only grow.
The connection you have with your teacher is (much) stronger than you realize You'd better excuse yourself to him/her for not understanding any sooner. This will show your respect and faith in the teacher.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #30
crbateman

The time your instructor asks you to spend explaining technique to a student of lesser experience is also training for you. It is essential for those who train to learn the proper way to express themselves, in order that what they learn can be passed on. A person of great capability can only go so far in transmitting that knowledge if they cannot communicate it fully. And the concept of patience must also be learned, while repeated reminders of fundamentals can only help to reinforce one's own technique.

By looking at one's training purely from the standpoint of a consumer, one can sometimes lose touch with the open-mindedness it takes to be a good student... A sense of entitlement can often be a powerful obstacle.