Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
ChristianW
Dojo: Aiki Shuren Dojo, Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark
Aikido After Hip Replacement

Hi
I'm an aikido-ka from Copenhagen, Denmark with 25 years of experience in karate and only 3 years in aikido.
I am happily married to the mother of our two daughters of 17 and 21 years. They are not into aikido. "Old mans hobby" as they say. My wife understands me better. She did karate too, but has now devoted herself to yoga.
I am a teacher and teaches gymnastics and psychology in a "second chance school".
My sensei, Ethan Weisgard, recomended Aikiweb to me as being the forum to get answers to my concern:
My hip is singing its last song. Within 1-3 years I shall have a hip replacement. In karate there are many people who returns to their karatepractise after having one, even two hipreplacements with little or no problems. Some of them continue to kick high others do not.
I have not yet found any body in aikido with a hipreplacement, and therefore i have no info.
Are there anybody out there on Aikiweb who can ease my worries: how about breakfalls on a new hip. Is that a no-go or can it be done?
Looking forward to hearing from the aiki-world.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: What is hip

Quote:
Christian Winding wrote: View Post
Hi
I'm an aikido-ka from Copenhagen, Denmark with 25 years of experience in karate and only 3 years in aikido.
I am happily married to the mother of our two daughters of 17 and 21 years. They are not into aikido. "Old mans hobby" as they say. My wife understands me better. She did karate too, but has now devoted herself to yoga.
I am a teacher and teaches gymnastics and psychology in a "second chance school".
My sensei, Ethan Weisgard, recomended Aikiweb to me as being the forum to get answers to my concern:
My hip is singing its last song. Within 1-3 years I shall have a hip replacement. In karate there are many people who returns to their karatepractise after having one, even two hipreplacements with little or no problems. Some of them continue to kick high others do not.
I have not yet found any body in aikido with a hipreplacement, and therefore i have no info.
Are there anybody out there on Aikiweb who can ease my worries: how about breakfalls on a new hip. Is that a no-go or can it be done?
Looking forward to hearing from the aiki-world.
Hi Christian,
I know of two guys [Hans Hopp , Chris Moooney [shihan]who have had hip ops.They still practice but they try and avoid ukemi. I would advise going easy on the hip.For myself I am having pain on right hip, so I usually go easy on the breakfalls. Check to see if the need a fulll hip replacement or simply a partial op.Birmingham in the U.K. is good.A Dr Mc Minn , read up on him on the net for further info. Cheers, Joe.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

I have met people who continue to train after hip replacements. They have all slowed down to some extent, but they still manage to train effectively.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Andy Sato Shihan of the Aikido World Alliance has had two hip replacement surgeries and continues to teach and practice. I don't know if he's still taking falls or not though. His movement is every bit as dynamic and fluid as always. You might contact him directly through the AWA website. He is a very open person and I'm sure you will give you his views if you ask.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
BWells
Dojo: ADV
United_States

One of our students (ex marine -5th kyu around 43) has had the hip replacement. Only ukemi he doesn't do is breakfalls. He seems to be doing fine. Does aikido and cross fit.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
NagaBaba

Re: Aikido After Hip Replacement

One of my friends had a hip replacement after 30 years of practice. He got back to the practice, teaching, rolling forward and backward happily at medium speed.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 10-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

As a Physiotherapist and Senior Lecture in Sports Therapy I would suggest a hip resurfacing such as the Birmingham Hip (now the most popular arthroplasty worldwide).

Failure rate even amongst active sports people is only around 6% and a full hip replacement can always be considered if need be at a later date. I've known several Aikidoka who've had this procedure and it seems to work fine.

"Down time" is crucial i.e. don't rush back but full trainiing after about 26 weeks should be possible.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Adam Huss

United_States

One of my teachers has been training in the budo for 47 years. He has both of his hips replaced and still moves very well. In fact, he just taught a randori clinic at a seminar a couple weeks back. He was doing randori while teaching, lol.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
As a Physiotherapist and Senior Lecture in Sports Therapy I would suggest a hip resurfacing such as the Birmingham Hip (now the most popular arthroplasty worldwide).

Failure rate even amongst active sports people is only around 6% and a full hip replacement can always be considered if need be at a later date. I've known several Aikidoka who've had this procedure and it seems to work fine.

"Down time" is crucial i.e. don't rush back but full trainiing after about 26 weeks should be possible.
Hi Philip,
A surgeon called Mr Mc Minn is the main man for hip resurfacing.My hips can at times give me gip[pain ],Might end up in this clinic.Dr Mc Minn s consultation are private, work might be done NHS. Cheers, Joe.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
ChristianW
Denmark

Dear All
Thank you so much for your advise and concern. I was very moved by your interest.
It was extremely nice to hear about others with similar problems and that they keep up training.
I will contact some of them.
Thanks again
In aiki
Christian Winding, Copenhagen, Denmark
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Hi Christian,
I had my left hip replaced in December 2012. I started careful training after 10 weeks. Before that I walked every hour for a while increasing the time weekly, and indoor cycling for 10 or 15 minutes. This all helped tremendously. I have started careful forward and backward ukemi from suwariwaza last month and I expect standing ukemi carefully in a month or two. No break falls again but at 61 who cares?
Try to avoid soft mats and tenkan movements where you may leave too much weight on the operated hip but fir the rest you should be able to do everything. One other thing resistance training like squats and dead lifts will help and one legged bosu ball work is vital to re educate surrounding nerves to take up new communication functions.

enjoy your new life, I do!
Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Alec,

Glad to see that you are recovering. Carolin Funck, who instructs in our Hiroshima dojo, had a hip replacement last summer. She, too, took it very gently to begin with and can now do very gentle mae ukemi from a sitting or standing position.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Hello Peter,
thank you for your good wishes. As you may have noticed I hardly ever post here anymore, just lurk occasionally. I hope your health is good too.
regards, Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
ChristianW
Denmark

Dear All
Thank you so much for your advise and concern. I was very moved by your interest.
It was extremely nice to hear about others with similar problems and that they keep up training.
I will contact some of them.
Thanks again
In aiki
Christian Winding, Copenhagen, Denmark
Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
RobLinx
Dojo: Kiku Matsu Dojo (Aikido World Alliance), Chicago
United_States

Christian,

I trained in aikido under Fumio Toyoda Shihan for several years when I was younger. I stopped when I was in my late 20s for several reasons, primarily because my hip pain (from a congenital defect) had gotten so bad.

I finally got the hip replaced 2 years ago (at age 48), and started training in Aikido again, now under Andy Sato Shihan. I try to avoid breakfalls on that side, but in general my hip is better than it's been since before the trouble started (when I was 16). Sometimes I forget I have an artificial joint--though they're always cheerful about reminding me at airport security. ;-)

I think with careful rehabilitation and physician's advice, you will have no trouble continuing your training. For me, it has made a world of (positive) difference.

Good Luck!

Rob Linxweiler
Old 06-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #16
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

I have met a few people still training and some doing relaxed ukemi to keep the skills up post total hit replacement surgery. I have a student who has one knee totally replacement done, and is staring at the other one being replaced soon. There is a rehab process, and the best one to give advice is your own doc, with you providing true and honest feedback on what you're feeling, but it IS possible.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #17
firebladejedi

Dojo: Aikido Takemusukai UK
United Kingdom

Hi while not in the same situation but similar, I shattered my pelvis in over 10 places around 12 years ago. I didn't have any corrective surgery and have continued to practice aikido, judo and Jiu-Jitsu and can throw and be thrown just as hard as anyone else and don't have any trouble with general mobility or break falls. I do however have to take it easy in the colder months and have a few more aches then when I was younger, however I'm sure that happens to everyone - the only trouble I really have is with side kicks, they are now really uncomfortable to do. Good luck for the future.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Christian, how's the hip, any updates?

Mark, you didn't require any kind of invasive intervention?

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 10-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
jimpres
Dojo: San Diego Aikikai
United_States
Thumbs up Re: Aikido After Hip Replacement

i just had total hip replacement, about 3 months ago. I was wondering if I could continue Aikido. Since lots of twisting occures I'm not sure how the hip will react.
I studied under Chiba Sensei in San Diego. He passed in 2015.
I'm now in TN near Chattanoog and would like to try practising again.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #20
NagaBaba

Quote:
Jakub Przedzienkowski wrote: View Post
i just had total hip replacement, about 3 months ago. I was wondering if I could continue Aikido. Since lots of twisting occures I'm not sure how the hip will react.
I studied under Chiba Sensei in San Diego. He passed in 2015.
I'm now in TN near Chattanoog and would like to try practising again.
Hello Jakub,
No problem, you can practice all techniques except high flying break falls ... I personally practice with several very high ranking folks, they had one or both hips replaced. It had no impact on their quality of practice, they are still very powerful
After surgery they did complete physiotherapy and daily do a lit of stretching.
Good keiko!

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 12-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #21
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

A few months back, I attended a seminar of a certain shihan who underwent hip replacement several months prior. I did not notice this myself, even after taking a bit of ukemi for her. I only found out about it during the drive home when my dojo mates (women, in this case) were talking about it (I guess they found out from some changing room conversation or some such thing). I was certainly impressed, and my friend, who is a registered nurse, noted that the people who don't come out better for it are the ones who don't persist through the relatively temporary after-pain of the surgery itself, then stiffen-up for lack of movement and stretching.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:06 PM   #22
Walter Martindale
Canada

Hmm... I had a total hip replacement on 1 March this year. "Direct Anterior Method" (the scar is on the front of my hip/thigh, and only 12 cm long) I'm moving reasonably well. I tried practising aikido last autumn before the operation and the bad hip couldn't make it through an entire practice.

Now the surgical team and physiotherapists say "don't do it" because of the possibility of dislocation and damage to the muscles when a mechanical hip gets cranked.

But, but, but... I MISS aikido.
I'm going to get back at rowing workouts (I'm a professional coach) and swimming - and I think I'll try getting back to the dojo in autumn after rowing winds down... With caveats. (no dai-ukemi, for one, only moderate speed for most practices, for another)
Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Walter