Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
templemed
Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Beginner Qs - Seminars, # Days for Testing

Hi everyone, Im brand new, I start my intro class sept 2nd, I posted on the intro page if anyone is interested. I do have two questions if someone can help.

1. What goes on at the seminars, and who would it benefit most, in other words as a "newbie" would it be worth attending?

2. I read an intro book and was confused by the testing, for instance, your first test is after 45 days or so of trainaing, your third test is 60 days of training or so after your second, etc. Does this mean days of training, say I go twice a week does that count as two days, or do they mean calendar days, if i go tues and thurs for a month is that 30 days of training, stupid question I apologize but thank you for any help!

Thanks for the help and thank you for accepting me into this great online community.

Brian Grey
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Beginner Qs - Seminars, # Days for Testing

Onegaishimasu. Genrally what goes on at seminars is intensive training. Days of training for testing purposes are generally that; the actual days of training are counted and only those days. If a person attends fives classes in one day, it still only counts as one day's training. I hope this bit of info helps, and I hope that you have a safe aikido journey.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Brian,
On question 1, IMHO, it will depend on the type of seminar. If it's a beginner seminar, yes absolutely as a newbie you will definitely learn a lot especially the basics. But these seminars are hard to find. In most cases, it would really help if you have a bit background and experience. With a bit of experience you'll probably pick-up stuff more, things will click easily and you won't struggle as much matching the Japanese term for the technique with the actual throw. Four years into it, I still manage to confuse my self once in a while. (I'm assuming here that you're starting new).

On question 2, it depends on your dojo. Not only that, your sensei will determine when you can test. You might have the hours but not the required level of skill. Ask your sensei. So my suggestion, just be safe and enjoy your training. Things will fall into place.

Welcome to Aikiweb.

Plus Ki
Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
1. What goes on at the seminars, and who would it benefit most, in other words as a "newbie" would it be worth attending?
In aikido we don't have tournaments, with the exclusion of Tomiki Aikido, but we do have seminars. Normally a seminar is when a dojo brings in another sensei to teach for a day, weekend or week. The sensei can be from another local dojo or a higher ranked sensei from your own organization or from another organization. Typcially, when a dojo hosts a seminar, it will advertise the seminars and other dojos will attend.

It would be worth attending as newbie whether you just go to watch or you actually get on the mat and train. A seminar is a great opportunity to see another perspective of aikido, to train with different people, to meet new people and to experience that you are part of a greater aikido community than just your dojo.

Now, whether you will actually get on the mat and train as newbie, you first need to ask your sensei. I usually tell newbies once they feel comfortable with rolling then they should get on the mat. But, your sensei will know what the seminar will entail and he will know whether you are ready for one or not.

Quote:
2. I read an intro book and was confused by the testing, for instance, your first test is after 45 days or so of trainaing, your third test is 60 days of training or so after your second, etc. Does this mean days of training, say I go twice a week does that count as two days, or do they mean calendar days, if i go tues and thurs for a month is that 30 days of training, stupid question I apologize but thank you for any help!
Okay, one day of training means if you show up for class on that particular day you have accumulated one day. You only count the actual days you trained over the course of time. So for instance, if you go Tues and Thurs for a month that will be about 9 days of training for the month not 30.

So if you take every Tues and Thurs class, it will take you 5 months to accumulate 45 days. Once you take that test, you start your count over to accumulate your 60, which will take you 10 months.

Also, might I suggest, if available, to take a third class each week? I have found three classes a week really helps the learning process and gives you enough time in between classes to give your body a break.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
templemed
United_States

Thank you all for the info my questions are completely answered.

giriasis - yes I would definitely like to train more than twice a week, Ill have to look into it because Im not sure if the let the intro class mix in with the other classes for 2 months.

I am currently very active, lifting 5 days a week and I run 2-4 miles everydayso I dont think 3 days would be too much of a strain.

Brian
Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Hello Brian,

Our group is having a seminar this coming Sunday (also Monday evening and Tuesday eveninig) with one of our organization's teachers coming in from Japan. He always teaches very basic stuff and it's always a great time with a nice party afterwards. You are more than welcome to come!
http://akiusa.org/events.html

Good Luck

Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
templemed
United_States

Stephen,

Thank you for the invite, I would love to come and watch although I am not sure if my schedule will allow me.

Do you have a messenger service we can talk on? I would like to find people around my area to talk to and get different opinions to make sure I am on the right path.

Thanks.

Brian
Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
SteveTrinkle
United_States

Hello Brian,
I sent you an email with my contact info via aikiweb - I hope you can receive it.
Best,
Steve

Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
Brian Grey wrote: View Post
Thank you all for the info my questions are completely answered.

giriasis - yes I would definitely like to train more than twice a week, Ill have to look into it because Im not sure if the let the intro class mix in with the other classes for 2 months.

I am currently very active, lifting 5 days a week and I run 2-4 miles everydayso I dont think 3 days would be too much of a strain.

Brian
Well, if you can do more than 3 times, then do so. But, definitely ask if it's okay to do classes other than the intro. You're dojo might want you to just do the intro classes before you join in the regular classes.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #10
justin
United Kingdom

I also find seminars a great place to meet friends old and new which will build year on year.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
templemed
United_States

Stephen, I dont see your message... can you tell me where I can find it? Im looking under private messages because I cant find any other link, Im assuming this is wrong.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
SteveTrinkle
United_States

Hi Brian,
Mmmm, sorry, I maybe didn't do it right. My email is s.trinkle@verizon.net Please drop me a line.

Best,
Steve

Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

What I was always told about attending seminars was, if you can do the ukemi, you're good to go. You kind of have to make a judgment call about the level of the seminar and whether you're up to it.

To add to what others have said about testing "days", when you test your "days" go back to zero. So let's say the requirement for your first test is 45 days, once you fulfill the 45 day requirement and test, you then need to train 60 "days" to meet the requirement for the next test. Also, I'm sure it varies from dojo to dojo, but you don't automatically get to test as soon as you've got that 45 (or however many) days. That's a requirement for you, it doesn't mean that the test automatically happens then (or at all, if sensei doesn't think you're ready, regardless of the number of days you've spent on the mat). Where I train, nobody tests until at least a few of us are ready -- so, while I probably had my required number of "days" by May, I won't be testing until the end of this month.