Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #76
lbb
United_States
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote: View Post
Of course. I do the same.
...and I'm sure the first person in North America to get infected with West Nile virus did this as well.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #77
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I would assist that particular soul to find re-birth in a more enlightened form.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #78
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
I would assist that particular soul to find re-birth in a more enlightened form.
This is something that has always stumped me about the theory of reincarnation:

How do animals get reborn in a "higher" form? They don't have free will, so they can't make a decision to do something "moral" or "good". Is it just luck?

This is a serious question. Can anybody with some knowledge of buddhism/hinduism explain this?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #79
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Well I figure mossie is rock bottom in the grand scheme of things so there is no way but up.

On the serious side it is a great question.

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post

How do animals get reborn in a "higher" form? They don't have free will, so they can't make a decision to do something "moral" or "good". Is it just luck?

This is a serious question. Can anybody with some knowledge of buddhism/hinduism explain this?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #80
lbb
United_States

This sounds like a "there are no bad dogs" argument ;-)
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #81
Walter Martindale
Canada

I don't get mad at mosquitos. They're just doing what they do.

I do, however, kill them whenever I can.

That doesn't make me bad for taking the lives of mosquitos.

The world is made up of predators, prey, and prey animals (us) defending ourselves from predators (mosquitos).

Deer (and other animals) try to run away from coyotes, humans (and other red-blooded species) try to kill mosquitos.

Neither succeed all the time, or coyotes (and other predators) and mosquitos would go extinct...

W
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #82
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:

They do have free will, just not much of it. A downward spiral of less and less free will. Strayed from the path.

Have you read Jonathon Livingstone Seagull? Or even The Reluctant Messiah?

Peace.G.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #83
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
They do have free will, just not much of it. A downward spiral of less and less free will. Strayed from the path.

Have you read Jonathon Livingstone Seagull? Or even The Reluctant Messiah?

Peace.G.
Read Jonathan Livingstone Seagull a long, long time ago. Nice story. Sort of a mix between Plato's Allegory of the cave and the Buddhist idea of a Boddhisatva.

I would not be too sure about humans having a free will - humanity does not seem to act like it.

I would say animals have a free will or at least more so then we as humans tend to think so, but just as humans they are limited by their surroundings and circumstances.

Tom
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #84
graham christian
England

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Read Jonathan Livingstone Seagull a long, long time ago. Nice story. Sort of a mix between Plato's Allegory of the cave and the Buddhist idea of a Boddhisatva.

I would not be too sure about humans having a free will - humanity does not seem to act like it.

I would say animals have a free will or at least more so then we as humans tend to think so, but just as humans they are limited by their surroundings and circumstances.

Tom
Ha, ha. Humanity definitely does not act like it, true.

Too busy fighting the illusion.

Peace.G.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #85
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Tom
no free will. to setup a will takes money for lawyer and so on. no freebie.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #86
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
no free will. to setup a will takes money for lawyer and so on. no freebie.
"Where there's a will, there's a relative."
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #87
graham christian
England

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
"Where there's a will, there's a relative."
Aha, nicely back to topic. Where there's a will there's bloodsuckers.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #88
Benjamin Green
Scotland

Quote:

No, it's not luck. Only sentient things have karma. The Buddhist would define animals as sentient though - just less intelligent than you.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #89
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece

Biiiiiiiig Irimi Tenkan and a direct shomen uchi from behind.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #90
Mark Mueller

What is the sound of one hand smacking?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #91
Lunatic Bodhisattva
Dojo: Lexington Aikikai
United_States

I blow him off once or twice with a warning intention then I smoosh him...

E
Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #92
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
...and I'm sure the first person in North America to get infected with West Nile virus did this as well.
Certainly. That doesn't mean you, and others who insist on talking deadly viruses when I tell you I don't have to fear them because they don't yet exist where I live, have a point.

It's not like I know what's gonna be the next deadly stuff here. If it's the mosquitos I should avoid, or perhaps the neighbour's cat that probably carry zillions of bugs. Unprotected sex didn't use to be deadly. Now it can be, so what's next... kissing? God knows.

The place where I have to cross the road to get to the grocery store is much more likely to get me killed than any possibility of catching viruses that, as of today, is unheard of within thousands of kilometers.

In a country that have plenty of mosquitos (you can google "Herräng dance camp" and mosquitos) but they don't carry any nasty stuff, being afraid of mosquito bites "in case you might catch something" is illogical reasoning. Unless, of course, you spend all your energi avoiding things that might eventually get dangerous. In which case this illogical fear in itself is going to ruin your life.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #93
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote: View Post

The place where I have to cross the road to get to the grocery store is much more likely to get me killed than any possibility of catching viruses that, as of today, is unheard of within thousands of kilometers.
You could always start killing motorists .
Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #94
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Benjamin Green wrote: View Post
No, it's not luck. Only sentient things have karma. The Buddhist would define animals as sentient though - just less intelligent than you.
I'm not really au fait with buddhist terminology, but what is classed as karmic behaviour for a mosquito?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #95
graham christian
England

Robotic.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #96
Benjamin Green
Scotland

Quote:
I'm not really au fait with buddhist terminology, but what is classed as karmic behaviour for a mosquito?
This is sort of like asking whether the Bible supports the priesthood of all believers. Religions, especially older religions, aren't structural philosophy – they're not held to the same sort of standards. So you can't point at them and just go 'And the answer is....'

Having hedged my answer sufficiently then:

Generally speaking:

All behaviour is karmic behaviour. Karma is a reflection of your inner life, not of your outward actions.

Karma means something like... 'actions that come from your intentions.' In Buddhism (in general) the nature of an act is determined by the nature of the intent driving that action. When someone says 'good' karma they may as well be saying 'good' action.

There are a lot of teachings around how good and bad karma are believed to affect people, but it's not clear that it's necessarily any more mystical than saying that one misstep leads to another, or that what goes around comes around. Early forms of Buddhism didn't even seem to believe that your karma affected your cycle of rebirth. Arguably, if you believe that what affects your cycle of rebirth is how enlightened you are, karma's effect on it is more a transitive than a direct relationship anyway.

One interpretation would be: It just so happens that doing things with ill intent tends to lead you to bearing more ill intent, and that tends to lead you away from enlightenment, which tends to affect how you'll be reborn....

But the pattern isn't taken to be perfectly deterministic. You can go up or you can go down.

The point of Buddhism isn't to follow a set of rules. It's to attain enlightenment - or at least to become more enlightened. In Buddhism you should do things because you've experienced them to be true, not because someone's told you to do them. If I just do something because some monk told me that I'd be rewarded at the end, I'm not likely to attain much enlightenment. I'd just be copying the outward behaviours, the superficial trappings of enlightenment.

As for how a mosquito becomes more enlightened, I honestly couldn't even venture a reasonable guess. With karma so bound up in how a creature thinks, and how a creature thinks being so bound up in how it perceives the world - I think that sort of question's getting way out into, 'How do bats see?' sort of territory .

Last edited by Benjamin Green : 04-01-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #97
bothhandsclapping
Dojo: Both Hands Clapping
United_States

Classic samurai story ... really, really condensed.

Committed to avenge the death of his master, the samurai finally meets up with the man he has sworn to kill. As he is about to make the killing strike, SPLAT, spit in the face. The samurai sheathes his sword and walks away. (The samurai would not kill in anger).

So, if a mosquito lands on your arm ...

Jim Redel BHC Aikido
"The universe, aikido, the mind - both hands clapping!"
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #98
bothhandsclapping
Dojo: Both Hands Clapping
United_States

Quote:
Jim Redel wrote: View Post
Classic samurai story ... really, really condensed.

Committed to avenge the death of his master, the samurai finally meets up with the man he has sworn to kill. As he is about to make the killing strike, SPLAT, spit in the face. The samurai sheathes his sword and walks away. (The samurai would not kill in anger).

FWIW ... any time you hear a zen koan or Buddhist saying, it's a safe bet it eventually points back to understanding the workings of the mind. When you hear a bird chirp ... where are you?

Jim Redel BHC Aikido
"The universe, aikido, the mind - both hands clapping!"
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #99
kfa4303
Dojo: North Florida School of Aikido (ASU)
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
If a mosquito landed on your arm would you;

A. Harmonize with it, allowing it to bite your arm and withdraw blood for substenance?

B. "Do no harm" and compassionately remove and release it.

C. Smack the disease ridden blood sucker dead.

D. I don't do Aikido.

dps
E. Thankfully, I do do Aikido (dew?). Therefore, just as it bites, I harmonize with it and compassionately, but convincingly perform the rarely seen "Mosquito Nage" technique, thereby bringing the encounter to a mutually amenable conclusion while also driving home the point to said offender that I'll not be his, or any other blood suckers human smorgasbord.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #100
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jim Redel wrote: View Post
spit on your arm? isn't that kinda unsanitary, sort of gross? what if you are chewing tobaco, that would have stained your arm and kinda messy too.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org