Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-02-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
grasshopper73
How many days a week ?

Hi all,

Just curious as to how often you go to formal practice ? And secondly, do you practice on your on and what specifically ?

Thanks for sharing
Old 06-02-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
Re: How many days a week ?

Depends! On a lot of things. Anywhere from 1-6 days a week.

Jeanne
Old 06-02-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
Jordan Steele

I practice 4-5 classes each week. I do very solo practice, maybe once every two weeks with a bokken for about an hour. However I do lots of activities when I'm not training that promote better Aikido. Strength training, distance running for endurance, chopping wood, boxing. Anything physical that breaks a sweat and involves large motions.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Hi Russ

My formal schedule is

All day Sunday (free and formal classes)
Saturday 2.5 to 3 hours of which I teach a 2 hour class
Thursday night Judo
Wednesday 1.5 - 2 hour class some of my own stuff mostly technical teaching.

Most every other night before I head down the mountain - about 30 minutes self practice. a bit of weights, bokken work and ghost waza (no partner).

I've gone through periods of intense training but right now work and other circumstance dictate otherwise.

How you train is as important as how much.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-02-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
grasshopper73

Peter,

That's really inspiring. May I ask what you do in Japan ? Are you there specifically to train ?

Russ
Old 06-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Russ Rohling wrote:
That's really inspiring. May I ask what you do in Japan ? Are you there specifically to train ?
It's one of the main reasons I returned but if it was just to train I would live next to the Honbu dojo where they have multiple classes every day. Did that for three months a few summers ago - exhausting.

Right now I'ld like to do more but know the balance is about right for me.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #7
Joanne Arnest
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai
United_States

During the semester (before this semester went crazy) I was training 5 times a week, 4 were 2 hour classes, and one was a 2 hour open mat. Since college is out and I'm home, I haven't found a dojo yet, but I'm practicing rolling, and doing some bokken work, as well as a bit of "ghost waza", as Peter put, it in my backyard.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Right now I'ld like to do more but know the balance is about right for me.
I think this is very important.

There was a period where I was on the mat 5-7 days a week. I ended up suffering burnout and almost quit. My body and brain didn't have time to assimilate what I was learning so I ended up going through the motions with nothing behind them. Since then I've found my balance. Tue and Thu I do 1.5 hours as a student then 1.5 hours as instructor in the next town over. Of course I usually end up staying late in the class I teach so it can get pretty late (the longest I've stayed after is about 5.5 hours ) Recently I've also begun 2 hours of iaido on Wed. nights.

I don't really do any physical training outside the dojo. I read about MA and have long conversations with other students and instructors. I find it more beneficial to just keep it in my mind when I'm not on the mat.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 06-02-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

The thing about aikido is its a philosophical art.Therefore just like art in its purest form you cant not force it in the mind.I recommend 2*3 times a week to let the techniques absorb in and become one with it.If you train more than that yes you would probably have better ukemi and form but to advance is to let absorb in..
Old 06-02-2004, 08:30 PM   #10
NagaBaba

I practice every day, 1-3 classes a day.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #11
akiy

Here's a poll I took a while back:

"How many total hours were you on the mat for aikido training in the past seven days?"
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=113

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 PM   #12
AsimHanif

I am usually on the mat 3 - 5 times per week. I usually train no less than 2 hours per day.
I am now moving closer to my goal of being on the mat at least once per day for at least an hour.
Right now the days when I'm not on the mat, I spend that time for weapons kata, in addition to my physical conditioning regime 3 times per week.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:41 PM   #13
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Tony Sapa wrote:
The thing about aikido is its a philosophical art.Therefore just like art in its purest form you cant not force it in the mind.I recommend 2*3 times a week to let the techniques absorb in and become one with it.If you train more than that yes you would probably have better ukemi and form but to advance is to let absorb in..
The internalization comes from large number of repetitions and time. Practicing less for sure is not the path to better Aikido.

However I agree - three times a week is pretty good especially if you train hard. Your body needs time to recover and your mind to rest. Two times a week is enough to maintain your level and advance slowly. More than three and the benefit decreases but it still improves.

My personal view is you find a schedule that keeps your enthusiasm up and every know and then partake in short (ie. three month) bursts of intense training. Shugyo if you will.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:36 AM   #14
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

I've been training five times a week (and sometimes more due to seminars) for the last four months and four times a week for a while before that. Class is for 1 - 1.5 hours each day but I'm usually there close to an hour early. During that time I stretch out and work on bokken and jo kata for 10-15 minutes (I don't have too much patience for weapons work, at least not yet), then train with whoever else is there early. Sometimes we play after class as well.
I am now in Alaska for the summer, far from a dojo, but have found that our regular warm-up routine is a good start to my morning.
I really miss Aikido and will be so excited to go back in August. However, like many of you have been saying, time is needed for everything to sink in. My sensei says he thinks my aikido will be better when I return for this reason. I have been training very intensely and certainly not immediately absorbing all I have learned.
Boy will it be good to get back on the mat though!
Gaia
Old 06-03-2004, 01:04 AM   #15
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

4 days a week at the moment. When summer comes 6 or 7.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 06-03-2004, 01:46 AM   #16
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai

4 days right now, 6 classes a week. Used to have 6 days a week, 8 classes. Current schedule is pretty good and is optimal for me in terms of absorption. 7-10 seminars each year help augment. Also like to visit other dojos and train-keeps you open.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:28 AM   #17
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Four days a week: seven hours of regular classes, three hours helping out with the older kids (which can be quite a workout in itself). This is the limit of what my dojo currently offers, but I think it's also a good level for me. If I train every day I get wiped out and hurt myself. Every other day is a lot better for me.

For a while I was doing half an hour at home every morning, but I had some knee problems and needed to take a break, and now it's hard to get the habit back. I do some weapons work at home probably 3 times a week.

Mary Kaye
Old 06-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #18
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Rachel Massey wrote:
Also like to visit other dojos and train-keeps you open.
Speaking of that.........hint hint

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 06-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #19
Mark Balogh
Dojo: Mushinkan Dojo, Guildford
England

Each week I am teaching two classes and training in one on the mat, and usually do weapons once at home as well. I think everyone here pretty much agrees that 3 times a week is best, 4 should be the maximum (unless you are training full-time). Of course you can meditate on the days off if you want!
Old 06-03-2004, 10:20 AM   #20
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

I practice 6 or 7 days a week, one or two classes a day. I will be taking morning classes too, once school lets out. I was doing bokken cuts every night at home, too, but I got out of the habit. Otherwise, I don't practice at home at all.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 06-03-2004, 11:15 AM   #21
gilsinnj

Dojo: Aikido Mt. Airy
United_States

I practice Aikido technique 2-3 times a week in the dojo. I usually practice techniques or katas at home sparingly, but I practice the principles of Aikido all day, every day.