Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #76
kewms
Re: 5th kyu shihans

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
You mean IRL attackers don't throw a punch or grab my wrist, then stand there rooted and grounded and static waiting and waiting and waiting for me to take their balance??? I'm...shocked
Well, I admit my real life experience is limited... so I may be mistaken... but I *think* someone trying to hit me IRL would probably actually hit *me,* rather than the air two feet away. And a grab would probably have at least as much intent as I use when playing with my cats. But, again, I'm just guessing here...

Katherine
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #77
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I think that awkward, resistive newbies give a us glimpse of what kind of response aikido techniques will generate when used on someone who is not an aikidoka. (For example, have you ever noticed how common it is for beginners to twist out of shihonage if it is not well applied?) So I tend to consider this kind of situation a valuable, if frustrating, training opportunity.
I agree with this up to the point where they start anticipating a technique and trying to thwart it in a way they couldn't have done unless they saw it coming.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #78
Mark Gibbons
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
I agree with this up to the point where they start anticipating a technique and trying to thwart it in a way they couldn't have done unless they saw it coming.
Nage doesn't take advantage of knowing what the attack is going to be? Seems unlikely.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #79
"dontwanttousemyname"
IP Hash: 6f7691b7
Anonymous User
Tongue Re: 5th kyu shihans

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
You mean IRL attackers don't throw a punch or grab my wrist, then stand there rooted and grounded and static waiting and waiting and waiting for me to take their balance??? I'm...shocked
NOPE...instead, they punch very slowly at your obi. LOL..
Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #80
heathererandolph
Dojo: Kokikai Aikido Boston
United_States

Working with beginners is a challenge for any student. The best advice I have is try to see the positive. Beginners may be behaving more like someone on the street than a "trained Aikidoka." Observe carefully their reaction. Some beginners may try to challenge you, I think they just need to feel competent sometimes! They aren't really good at anything yet. Positive feedback! Try to be understanding of the difficulties they face. If you can somehow make this a pleasant experience for them then they may be more receptive. On the other hand I do find it odd that they are giving you advice! Hopefully people "play nice" in the dojo. Could be as you said some male/female role modeling going on. Just have "positive mind" and just nod and smile when they give you some advice and ignore it if it is not relevant. Again a lot of people give advice because it makes them feel competent. You could possibly try to work with those offenders when you have technique you feel it would be easier to work on with them. Then choose one of your "favorites" for the more advanced techniques. Leading is a more advanced topic than most beginners can handle so maybe do a version of the technique without it to start out. Try to just focus on bettering yourself versus locking horns with these guys and you'll come out ahead!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #81
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

I was on a Summer Camp one year and was working with George (Ledyard) and he asked me why I was moving my head around when we were working on irminage and then pointed out why it was dangerous... At no stage did I take it as him criticising me, it led to us having a small chat about my background in Aikido and I know I felt as if someone had pointed out something to me that was kind of important for me to *not* do.

Of course... later on I was working with someone else who was doing a completely different technique to what Ikeda sensei had shown and when I suggested that I thought we were supposed to be doing ikkyo his response was 'What? are you asking me or telling me? Who do you think you are?' in a fairly aggressive way. He was a kyu grade and felt very offended for some reason or other, I just bowed out and said I thought it best he train with someone else.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #82
"DelicateGeniusWhisperer"
IP Hash: 6cfed9ed
Anonymous User

Quote:
John Burn wrote: View Post
...his response was 'What? are you asking me or telling me? Who do you think you are?' in a fairly aggressive way. He was a kyu grade and felt very offended for some reason or other, I just bowed out and said I thought it best he train with someone else.
It always blows me away that someone can be such a delicate genius that they could pull such an attitude.

It's like they don't realize that *everything* is a learning opportunity.

How can the point be missed in such a horrendous way?

???
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #83
"dontwanttousemyname"
IP Hash: b85bef37
Anonymous User
Talking Re: 5th kyu shihans

Quote:
It always blows me away that someone can be such a delicate genius that they could pull such an attitude.

It's like they don't realize that *everything* is a learning opportunity.

How can the point be missed in such a horrendous way?

???
Well, naturally i understand what he means. From a kyu perspective, how can I "teach" what I don't know. sometimes it's better to go with the flow (as long as you don't get physically abused). It's just proper protocol. Junior students should not instruct senior students. If the senior student is incorrect, leave it alone. Either another senior will correct it, or not.

Yes every opportunity is a learning opportunity. But there is entirely too much talking and touchy feely stuff going on, while training. Let folks train. what the junior student should focus on is taking ukemi. Ukemi is critical and will save your behind many times, when a technique is done correctly AND incorrectly.

Also, not everyone wants immediate feedback. It's a bit intrusive to think that someone wants an opinion that wasn't asked for. Particularly from a junior student, regardless as to whether the junior is right or wrong. I used to train with someone who felt it was his place to interpose his opinion at every opportunity. It was disruptive and annoying...to many of us in the class. Sometimes, being "right" is not the point. Not intruding on another's training experience is a priority, I would think.

Let the senior students and sensei's/instructors do the teaching. the most a junior should offer, is what is felt...

AND let's keep in mind that too much talking, leads to disagreements and loads of mis-understandings.

IMHO...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #84
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Yes every opportunity is a learning opportunity.
Oh, indeed. It's just not necessarily an opportunity to learn aikido.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #85
Walter Martindale
Canada

I think I've said this before somewhere... If I am having trouble with a tech, or my partner is having trouble, if I'm fairly conversant with the movement normally, I'll see if I can sort out the problem. Otherwise it's a really short time before I ask sensei/shihan where I'm going wrong.
cheers
Walter